I feel more cynical than usual lately

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

Just now, Dottles said:

Gads... maybe there's hope for you. Mr. Sharr, why dear sir are you cynical today? Or are you making a more general claim?

People suck.  Our scout troop cannot meet in the church, but we got permission to meet outside on church grounds.  This is a trial basis and they want to know how we will practice social distancing etc,  We came up with a plan. Then we have a tropical storm hit and we have 75 to 80 percent chance of rain tonight.  

So I meet with the key three and we push the meeting back.

So of course I have that one parent who has to tell me I am wrong, safer in the rain, etc. while he does not know the back story.

He had some good points and I did thank him for his feedback and will forward his feedback to our senior patrol leader, committee chair and chartered org rep, but as the Scoutmaster, I get to wear the target.  I knew this going in and I knew this dad likes to make suggestions. 

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

People suck.  Our scout troop cannot meet in the church, but we got permission to meet outside on church grounds.  This is a trial basis and they want to know how we will practice social distancing etc,  We came up with a plan. Then we have a tropical storm hit and we have 75 to 80 percent chance of rain tonight.  

So of course I have that one parent who has to tell me I am wrong, safer in the rain, etc. while he does not know the back story.

He had some good points and I did thank him for his feedback and will forward his feedback to our senior patrol leader, committee chair and chartered org rep, but as the Scoutmaster, I get to wear the target.  I knew this going in and I knew this dad likes to make suggestions. 

Oh thank goodness. I thought this would be a serious problem. Just take him back behind the church and kick his punk ass.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Just take him back behind the church and kick his punk ass.

Better yet, make sure he's a Cowboy's fan. He'll die a slow agonizing death.

• Awesome 1

• Solution

My Mother used to tell an old family story about some relative of her father's (I think an aunt)  who would come to visit them in the summer.  This relative was named Bertha and Bertha was quite willing to let  my grandmother do all the shopping, cooking and cleaning and generally wait on Bertha.  Bertha's  one attempt to help was when after the meal was finished and my grandmother was picking up the dirty dishes to wash them all by hand, every so often Bertha would bring in a big dirty serving dish that my grandmother had momentarily left on the table while she cleaned some other dishes and made room in the kitchen.  Bertha would come in with the dish which then required my grandmother to stop what she was doing and try to make room for the dish by the sink and Bertha would say with a satisfied tone "Here, you missed this".

So whenever someone in my family would offer a suggestion, or take some action, that was utterly unhelpful and only created more work for others we'd say sarcastically "Thank you, Bertha".

I get the feeling this Scout Dad is really a Bertha. :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

and fear I am not being kind in some of my posts.

Do any of you agree?  If so, feel free to slap me down and tell me I am being a dick.

Thanks.

BTW, I am completely serious. 

I went into a serious funk when work at home started.  I saw no bright side in anything.  Things are different now and adjusting isn't easy.  Things will get better.  "Normal" will be different but "normal" will become normal.  

BTW -- Your posts have been fine.

• Heart 1