I didn't like my vacation

Square Wheels

We were going to go to Utah near Bryce Canyon to look for property, possibly a retirement home.  Clearly that wasn't an option.

Decided to take off the 7 work days anyhow.

I was lazy, did a bunch of stuff around the house, exercised every day.  Didn't accomplish as much as I hoped.  

I did a bunch of work work.  Most days I had meetings and hundreds of emails to respond to.  It was a drag.

I go back tomorrow.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We were going to go to Utah near Bryce Canyon to look for property, possibly a retirement home.  Clearly that wasn't an option.

I was lazy, did a bunch of stuff around the house, exercised every day.  Didn't accomplish as much as I hoped.  

I did a bunch of work work.  Most days I had meetings and hundreds of emails to respond to.  It was a drag.

I go back tomorrow.

It's ok to vacation at home but you have to stop with the meetings and emails if you want to get the benefits of de-stressing.  If your job can't do without you for 7 days then there should be a clause in your contract to double your pay every time someone calls you to a meeting when you're on vacation.  That BS would stop in a heartbeat.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I go back tomorrow.

How is your ankle?

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I go back tomorrow.

You worked on your vacation.  Now you can vacation while you work.  

One thing I did...  I had a reoccurring meeting in my schedule every Friday, from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.    Only once... did someone ask me about my Friday afternoon meeting and could it be rescheduled.  Yeah...  There never was a meeting... I just wanted to be sure nothing planned would interrupt my Friday night date with WoBG.   (and I didn't reschedule my meeting) 

For all of the many hours I spent reading and writing email in the evenings, on the weekends, and on vacations, I figured I could have the time on a Friday for a date with my wife.

• Awesome 1

I'm sorry you weren't able to go to Utah for your vacation.  I'm sure work has been especially stressful in the last few months and you deserve a break,

Vacationing at home with day trips can be fun, but only if you treat it as a real vacation and are able to get away from work.    I was supposed to be on vacation starting today, but I had to cancel for a couple reasons.  I still hope to take some time in October now, but I'm unlikely to go away.   But you need a change of scenery every so often.  I was surprised how much even a day trip could lift my spirits.

On the plus side, at least you were able to attend the Anniversary Gala.  :nodhead:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

retirement home

It depends what SW meant by a retirement home.  It could be a home for their retirement. (I'm assuming this...)   Or it could be one of those 'retirement home places'.

We built a home for our retirement.  It's not in one of those places...   

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

It depends what SW meant by a retirement home.  It could be a home for their retirement. (I'm assuming this...)   Or it could be one of those 'retirement home places'.

...I just figured he was planning on limited mobility because of the ankle. :whistle:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I go back tomorrow.

That's on you. If you can't vacate when you vacation -- sorry good sir but get off the grid next time.

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

This.  I will never move to a retirement community.

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

That's on you. If you can't vacate when you vacation -- sorry good sir but get off the grid next time.

Not an option.  I don't know anyone at my level that doesn't at least check their email while on vacation.  Since I really had nothing to do, I took it a little further and responded to many of them.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This.  I will never move to a retirement community.

Not an option.  I don't know anyone at my level that doesn't at least check their email while on vacation.  Since I really had nothing to do, I took it a little further and responded to many of them.

Same with my wife.  She will put in for PTO and still be on the phone quite a bit.  I tell her all the time that they need to give her a half day of that PTO back.  It's all good though, they have told her too many times to do things regardless of if she has enough PTO "on the books".  

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm pretty sure Utah was and is "open for business".  You missed a golden opportunity to check it out :)

I found the areas near Zion and in Escalante to be more of where I would look, or closer to the ski areas.  Bryce was wicked cool, but not my favorite area beyond the NP.  What made Bryce jump out at you?

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Not an option.  I don't know anyone at my level that doesn't at least check their email while on vacation. 

That was my problem for the last few years of my job.  If we went on vacation, the company laptop was along for the trip with a wi-fi hot spot so I could work anywhere in the US. :(

Retirement is nice...  great even....   :happyanim:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That was my problem for the last few years of my job.  If we went on vacation, the company laptop was along for the trip with a wi-fi hot spot so I could work anywhere in the US. :(

Retirement is nice...  great even....   :happyanim:

I have worked very hard at being a Wally just to prevent that.  No laptop for me!  I will log in from home if needed but no more than that. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Something great about being a low person on the totem pole, when I leave...I leave.  

I do not return messages, texts or anything about work if I am not on the clock. Bliss.  They leave me alone.

My job involves call-in if there is an urgent problem, but my boss is really good aboot phasing in new people and letting us old guys fade away. 

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I go back tomorrow.

How is work today?  Did you ask for comp time because of all the work you did on vacation?

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

How is work today?  Did you ask for comp time because of all the work you did on vacation?

It was busy.  I will get paid regular time for the hours I work.  We have a generous benefit time package.  The past couple of years I have cashed out allowing us to do some projects on the house.

• Heart 1