A dinner I love

Dirtyhip

56 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Polenta grits with parmesean, over easy egg on top with some mushrooms, and steamed veggies.  This just screams Fall to me.  I love this dinner.

Notice I didn't say supper?  Who says that?  Weirdoes.

Only grandpas should say supper. My family said it but my wife’s family says dinner so that term has taken over in our household. 

Dinner at lunch and supper in the evening in my childhood. My ancestors were farmers and my grandparents are traditional. One of my girls gave the teacher sass when the teacher corrected her in a comment about going to the cafeteria for lunch. We don’t use dinner so much any more.  Just breakfast, lunch and supper. 

The terms “supper” and “dinner” can be used pretty interchangeably, but “dinner” is typically used more often. Regardless, if someone says one or the other, most people will know they’re referring to the last meal of the day. But we came across some shocking news: they’re not the same thing after all—and if your grandparents or parents used the term “supper,” there’s a good chance your ancestors were farmers.

“[In the 18th and early 19th centuries,] Americans regularly ate a light supper as their evening meal because they were eating dinner—the biggest meal of the day—around noon,” food historian Helen Zoe Veit told NPR. The purpose of eating their biggest meal at noontime was so farmers would have more strength and energy to get through the rest of their workday

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Dinner at lunch and supper in the evening in my childhood. My ancestors were farmers and my grandparents are traditional. One of my girls gave the teacher sass when the teacher corrected her in a comment about going to the cafeteria for lunch. We don’t use dinner so much any more.  Just breakfast, lunch and supper. 

The terms “supper” and “dinner” can be used pretty interchangeably, but “dinner” is typically used more often. Regardless, if someone says one or the other, most people will know they’re referring to the last meal of the day. But we came across some shocking news: they’re not the same thing after all—and if your grandparents or parents used the term “supper,” there’s a good chance your ancestors were farmers.

“[In the 18th and early 19th centuries,] Americans regularly ate a light supper as their evening meal because they were eating dinner—the biggest meal of the day—around noon,” food historian Helen Zoe Veit told NPR. The purpose of eating their biggest meal at noontime was so farmers would have more strength and energy to get through the rest of their workday

Maybe this is why we are getting heavy.  Our big meal is being consumed before bed.

?

We don't work like farmers, with the exception of people like @sheep_herder  But, he is a rancher not a farmer from what I gather.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

My Grandmother grew up in a farming community in the Catskills and when we went to the Catskills during the summer, our big meal was also early afternoon and then we'd have a light supper in the evening. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I grew up with breakfast, dinner and supper.  Dinner was lunch if not eaten at home (as in a bag lunch)

East coast Canada, it was always supper in the evening and dinner at mid day growing up and is still spoken that way for the most part

Isn't the mid day meal at school?  Is it still called supper in that instance?