My dog in 2003 (and one of my bikes)

Randomguy

Here is a better one of the bike.  It was a Team Once edition (supposedly an "actual" team frame with minor Once badging but commercial finish).  Not sure why the handlebars are turned that way, I think this was when I just picked it up.  

It was a nice climbing bike, but it got speed wobbles at 33-35mph, so it was dangerous on downhills.  With different wheels, the wobbles came at 36-38 mph.  Speed wobbles are scary, never had that with any other bike, but I remember clamping the top tube with my knees to help stabilize it a bit.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nice (except the seatpost).  Weird a Giant would ever have speed wobble.  Seems like they'd know how to avoid that?

This was early days for carbon fiber for Giant, at least on the upper tier, and these frames were supposedly just sent to sponsored teams, and the excess were apportioned to the cosmos.  Not sure if I ever truly believed that, but in those days is was sorta plausible.

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

0 points.  NDS.  Non white garage door.  Appears to be on little ring and big gear.  Your seat is too high.  SPD pedals.  sheesh.

It was a rental garage door, I couldn't afford the white.  Seat is at the approrpriate height, speedplay Zero's for this bike hadn't arrived yet.  I ride the granny a lot.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is it the bike or the bike/rider dynamic that causes that?  Fortunately it’s never been an issue for me.

I have heard a bunch about resonant frequencies and that it is generally caused by the bike/rider dynamic as you said.  They could have beefed up the headtube and fork, everything was supposed to be waaay light then.  Anyway, I sold the bike to a guy that experienced no wobbles with it.   I told him about it before the test ride, and sent him down a long hill to see if it happened to him (it didn't) and to let him climb back up (it climbed very well).   This was the bike that Joseba Beloki broke his pelvis on after he squidged on warm tar or had a blowout or whatever in the tour.

• Heart 1