This might make me nervous...

Randomguy

I have yet to see a grizzly in the wild..., but did face down a polar bear coming towards me.  I didnt bother with the spray, but fired a couple rounds into the ground in front of him.  He paused and looked at me and I was thinking "okay, that was two..., I have 43 left.  42 for him and one for me."   When he turned and went back the way he came I was a happy camper.  He was 32 feet away (i went back and measured the distance in the tracks in the snow)

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have yet to see a grizzly in the wild..., but did face down a polar bear coming towards me.  I didnt bother with the spray, but fired a couple rounds into the ground in front of him.  He paused and looked at me and I was thinking "okay, that was two..., I have 43 left.  42 for him and one for me."   When he turned and went back the way he came I was a happy camper.  He was 32 feet away (i went back and measured the distance in the tracks in the snow)

Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back - Holy Shit GIF by MikeyMo | Gfycat

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

A few times the mama bear turns around, or looks into the woods and often the cubs sniff the ground, so it doesn't seem like they're particularly interested in the hiker.

I'm not sure how I would have handled it. I might have kept glancing in the woods for a good tree to climb where I could break a branch off to fend off the cubs. There have been times in parks like Yellowstone where I came across a bison, a black bear, a moose, an elk, etc. but I always had my car within close proximity.  Here's my Dad standing in the front passenger-side doorway of my car, me taking the picture while standing in the driver's side doorway, amid a herd of hundreds of bison, some less than 30' away, in Custer State Park, SD:

1348811667_LouBuffalo1impr.thumb.JPG.c69becf850602e97cacb8847438cec28.JPG

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I’m not sure how true this is but when I had business in Alaska, I was up there one time and in talking to the local manager about bear attacks he said aim for the rear legs hip area.  He said you won’t kill the bear but slow it enough to escape.   

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I’m not sure how true this is but when I had business in Alaska, I was up there one time and in talking to the local manager about bear attacks he said aim for the rear legs hip area.  He said you won’t kill the bear but slow it enough to escape.   

I had 43 hollow points.  I was probably going to just piss him off regardless 

• Heart 1