RIP Gale Sayers

BuffJim

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am kind of shocked he lasted this long.  He was just before my time.

I barely remember him playing.  I do remember when Walter Payton started playing for the Bears and hearing that he could be the next Gale Sayers.  My first thought was a sarcastic, "yeah, right."

• Heart 3

My son & SIL, shoot even my wife didn’t realize how big a football fan I was before the Rams left and I lost interest.   I was all about the NFL as a kid into my late 20’s.   

We were talking about not having a Manning in the NFL for the first time in 22 years and they never knew their dad was an NFL QB.... Kids....

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

What a bunch of youngsters,

I remember watching him play for the Bears.  I grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago. We'd go to a Bears game probably once a year.  We'd just drive the 18 miles and buy tickets at the box office. Bears tickets were easy to get back then, and the stadium was just about never filled.    The rest of the time, we'd watch on local TV. 

• Heart 2

I read an article about his death that talked all about his football accomplishments, and all I could think was "how did they not mention Brian's Song?" :dontknow:  uh oh.  I may start crying if I think of that theme song.

I know him best from after he retired.  He visited our area and became very good friends with a local doctor.  He ended up buying a house in Wakarusa and spent much of his time here. I was on our fair board with the doctor and had many good visits with Gale. Gale donated to many local charities.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1