So, a “Cutie” is deceptively not pop-able.

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by ChrisL,

• Solution

OK so I know a thing or two on this matter...

Cutie as a brand used to be part of the POM Wonderful company.  They ownership had a falling out and the new owners kept the name but not the orchards. Cutie now outsources their fruit through several other orchards and many believe the quality has dipped since.

The old Cutie fruit is now Halo.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The cuties I have had didn't have much flavor, so I stopped buying them years ago.  The Spanish clementines  are the only ones to get, soooo much tastier and juicier than cuties.  I really can't figure out why people keep buying the cuties.   You generally have good taste, RS, how did you get roped into getting them?

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The cuties I have had didn't have much flavor, so I stopped buying them years ago.  The Spanish clementines  are the only ones to get, soooo much tastier and juicier than cuties.  I really can't figure out why people keep buying the cuties.   You generally have good taste, RS, how did you get roped into getting them?

OK so more useless citrus info....Cutie is a brand and not a type of fruit. Cuties and now Halo has several orchards if different types of clementines that ripen in different times of the year.  They look similar but the Halos you get in Nov Dec are a different fruit than you get in Jan - March.

They were a client of mine back in the day and we secured their packing houses.  Labor in the Central Valley is rife with druggies & criminals and that location was hoppin.  I spent a lot of time there...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Cuties were on sale at Sprouts. 

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OK so more useless citrus info....Cutie is a brand and not a type of fruit. Cuties and now Halo has several orchards if different types of clementines that ripen in different times of the year.  They look similar but the Halos you get in Nov Dec are a different fruit than you get in Jan - March.

They were a client of mine back in the day and we secured their packing houses.  Labor in the Central Valley is rife with druggies & criminals and that location was hoppin.  I spent a lot of time there...

Good explanation!   I am scarred from the cuties, literally every time someone asks if I want one of theirs, I will have one and everytime I am underwhelmed.  I will spend 25% more for a product that is 4-5 times better, but I will never knowingly buy a product of theirs.

Are packing houses rife with security needs?   I guess with the druggies and all, what was the usual scenario?

54 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OK so I know a thing or two on this matter...

Cutie as a brand used to be part of the POM Wonderful company.  They ownership had a falling out and the new owners kept the name but not the orchards. Cutie now outsources their fruit through several other orchards and many believe the quality has dipped since.

The old Cutie fruit is now Halo.

I eat a fair amount of Halos. I’ve never had one with seeds in it.

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

ChrisL wins the Dilbert's mom/Rick Henderson award for this thread. :D

And those Halo ads are creeepy!

Here, more useless info.... If you drive Hwy 99 through Delano CA (30 miles north of Bakersfield) you come across a block house turned into a giant Halo box.  From google maps.

5292FB75-47C6-40A1-ADF0-E5C76F52A62D.thumb.jpeg.4d2b9f0f39a456891e8e313e2630e8e4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Good explanation!   I am scarred from the cuties, literally every time someone asks if I want one of theirs, I will have one and everytime I am underwhelmed.  I will spend 25% more for a product that is 4-5 times better, but I will never knowingly buy a product of theirs.

Are packing houses rife with security needs?   I guess with the druggies and all, what was the usual scenario?

Yeah we manned metal detectors at the entrances. Parking lots had stolen cars daily during packing season.  Employees from rival gangs would get into it all the time.

People weren’t stealing fruit, it was all of the drama the workers brought to the site.

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

WOChrisL bought some as well last week as they were on sale and they weren’t very good. Still early for citrus, it’s probably coming from South America.  

I thought it was early, too. Lesson learned. 

Meanwhile, the seeds! 

7 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I eat a fair amount of Halos. I’ve never had one with seeds in it.

Halo owns the orchards and has a phenomenal QC process to ensure a quality product.  Cutie just buys fruit 3rd party & slaps their label in them so the quality does vary.

Halo isn’t as wide spread as Cutie but the general consensus is it’s a better quality product.  FYI the packing season starts in November so the fruit you see now probably is coming from Southern Hemisphere.