Don't tell me what decade I gotta love...

Randomguy

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

...especially if I love all the decades!

Hmm. 2000 decade was fine.  Although right now, I tend to associate it with personal events in my life.  Looking back life seemed quite different without the internet. The only reason why I didn't like the 1970's, is that my teenagehood was kinda boring. 

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It kinda is, it kinda messed up the whole first year and set the tone.  Plus, winter is coming.

Imagine what we are living through now, will go down in history and probably there will be paintings...just like some medieval paintings featuring their doctor in leather personal protective coat (leather), hood or hat with maskwear beak.  

You're right....2020 did start off with a nice kinda symmetry.

that is if we survive despite covid.

28 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Imagine what we are living through now, will go down in history and probably there will be paintings...just like some medieval paintings featuring their doctor in leather personal protective coat (leather), hood or hat with maskwear beak.  

You're right....2020 did start off with a nice kinda symmetry.

that is if we survive despite covid.

The decade can only get better, right?

I liked the 70's a lot because a lot of early-life struggles resulted in final success: graduated from college, got to live on campus in grad school, got an industrial chemistry job and was promoted to Chief Chemist, got my first new car, a 12 string-guitar, and other "luxuries."

I liked the 80's because I found the groove I belonged in: I was appointed to government committees at the State Legislature and onto our county's Landfill Laws Commission and was elected Political Advisor for one of the state's largest political clubs.  I realized bench chemists had the shortest lifespans of college graduates, returned to running on Saturdays and could literally taste the chemicals I had been working with the past week, switched to teaching high school and coaching high school sports and the chess and science clubs, and stayed that course until retirement in the 2000's, when I suddenly realized the cut in pay when switching from industry to teaching was compensated by a nice pension with health insurance that insured a decent retirement.

• Awesome 2

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was better.  We had real conversations.

In many ways, it was much better from a privacy perspective.  When you were out of the office, you were out of the office, which was nice.  In other ways, getting around, getting directions, getting specific info, it is so much better now.  I am not sure what is nostalgia and what is better, to tell the truth.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

In many ways, it was much better from a privacy perspective.  When you were out of the office, you were out of the office, which was nice.  In other ways, getting around, getting directions, getting specific info, it is so much better now.  I am not sure what is nostalgia and what is better, to tell the truth.

I'm still out of the office when not working. I'm not expected to monitor work emails after work hrs. My employer has my personal email, phone no. in an emergency (and emergencies DO happen for some govn't job roles..like the massive river flood we had) but employer respects the boundaries.  I really think it is a style of management. and this has been true for all my jobs even working in private sector (several firms).  In turn, when I did manage direct reports, I might have phoned a staff person twice outside of work hrs. in all my 35+ yrs. of full-time work.  

I'm always been intrigued by the frequent communication by iphone between couples. And for couples that don't have children..seriously is it that necessary?  We go on individual shopping trips and buy stuff from memory or what seems right rather than worry what got missed. Usually doesn't happen often...ie. missing food. So 1 of us forgot something. Fine. Person walks 15 min. to buy it. No big deal.

After being with dearie for 25+ years, we don't constantly talk to each other throughout the day when we're apart in different locations.  Under ideal circumstances, when I'm at work, I might phone him around lunch....before the evening.  That's all. 

We would drive each other nuts if we did it so often during the day. So this is how we're similar...it feels like monitoring or reminding each other over minor stuff.  We just have expected each person to remember what to do. 

And I never expect dearie to answer my voice mail during his bike ride. Whatever it may be it is not that important/urgent. I'd rather he pay attention to his surroundings and enjoy the ride.