First New Taar Day

jsharr

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I laugh when I read about people being concerned about road noise. Hell, just turn up the radio.:rolleyes: If it gets too quiet, I get sleepy. Just curious, did you ever drive or ride in a car that had holes in the floor board? That is when you notice road noise, as well as drafts.

Yes I have ridden in a car where you can see the road under you.  I enjoy the quiet of my current car.  Yeah, loud pipes and big tires are fun, but so is solitude.

• Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yes I have ridden in a car where you can see the road under you.  I enjoy the quiet of my current car.  Yeah, loud pipes and big tires are fun, but so is solitude.

Don't think I've ever experienced solitude. Drove a VW bug for many of our early married years. and then drove all weather or aggressive tread tires when living up north. Rather do that than having to chain up to get around.

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Don't think I've ever experienced solitude. Drove a VW bug for many of our early married years. and then drove all weather or aggressive tread tires when living up north. Rather do that than having to chain up to get around.

Two door Nova with dual exhaust and big tires in the back.  Then a V-8 El Camino, then Jeep with big mud tires, then a VW Fox sedan, Chrysler Concorde sedan, Ford Freestyle crossover, then a Chevy Silverado with all terrain tires and now in my 300.

The Chrysler is by far the nicest, most well appointed car I have ever owned and I am enjoying quiet and comfortable.  I miss my truck when it is time to go camping, but other than that, I am good where I am.

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I would prefer more wrap around on that bumper if he will be traveling in deer country.

Good advice and it will be heeded as soon as he can find the parts at a good price.  He paid $100 for those bars.  Take off from a police Tahoe.  We are looking for the side bars.  They are made by GO Industries right here in Richardson
actually.    They are HEAVY and mounted directly to the frame.  I made sure Wade used all Grade 8 hardware for mounting.  

On 9/24/2020 at 11:05 AM, sheep_herder said:

Not noticing, I guess is one of the benefits of getting old and deaf. Really though, it has never mattered to me.

Agreed. Einstein, however, cannot stand road news. When we were dating, he drove my Toyota Corolla once. Next weekend, he bought me a new car. 

ps. We were seriously dating

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Agreed. Einstein, however, cannot stand road news. When we were dating, he drove my Toyota Corolla once. Next weekend, he bought me a new car. 

ps. We were seriously dating

Note to self, flat spot car tires before visiting the Aire Estate.  Let Mr. Aire drive my car.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, jsharr said:

When I was in training there were a couple of jeeps in the motor pool that you could see the ground through the floor boards.  We could do the Fred Flintstone foot thing in some of them.  

I caught the very tail end of Jeeps as the Humvee was rolled out during my enlistment. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I think I can safely say, that I view things a bit differently from some on the forum, as a house is just a place to live, and a vehicle is just a tool to get from one place to another and in some cases do work (hauling, etc.). I don't think most would think that I appreciate the 'finer things' in life, and I just might agree. However, I have fun.:rolleyes:

• Heart 1

I had a Saab convertible 3 cars ago.  Even with the rag top it was quiet.  Previous cars were mid-sized sedans.  After the Saab I tried a Honda Accord.  Quiet enough that I didn't notice.  After the Accord I though about downsizing.  Like @sheep_herder I consider the car as a way to get from point a the point b.  I wanted to stay in the Honda family since the Accord was good to me so I went with a Civic.  99% of the time I'm driving, it is just me in the car.  I don't need more space.  I commute 50 miles each way almost all interstate.  With the Civic I found the road noise to be an issue.  Bluetooth phone call can be an issue.  I do a lot of Audible books during the commute time.  That can be an issue.  If I don't need the mic pickup for a call I will be using the Aux and the sound cranked up a bit.

My next car will be quieter for sure.

9 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I'ma gonna guess $2 fitty per

atsa nice cow catcher on the front dere

Please tell me he did a burn out on leaving this morning...or at least a chirp

Closer to hunnert fiddy each.

He knows not to light em up in our hood.  Too many Karens.  His Tahoe has the 5.3 and straight pipes with glass packs.  

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I had a Saab convertible 3 cars ago.  Even with the rag top it was quiet.  Previous cars were mid-sized sedans.  After the Saab I tried a Honda Accord.  Quiet enough that I didn't notice.  After the Accord I though about downsizing.  Like @sheep_herder I consider the car as a way to get from point a the point b.  I wanted to stay in the Honda family since the Accord was good to me so I went with a Civic.  99% of the time I'm driving, it is just me in the car.  I don't need more space.  I commute 50 miles each way almost all interstate.  With the Civic I found the road noise to be an issue.  Bluetooth phone call can be an issue.  I do a lot of Audible books during the commute time.  That can be an issue.  If I don't need the mic pickup for a call I will be using the Aux and the sound cranked up a bit.

My next car will be quieter for sure.

What year?  I noticed my son in law’s 2012 was a lot noisier than my 2013. Hopefully the 2020s are even quieter since that is what daughter #2 is leaning toward. The Fits have pretty noisy drivetrains. 

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

What year?  I noticed my son in law’s 2012 was a lot noisier than my 2013. Hopefully the 2020s are even quieter since that is what daughter #2 is leaning toward. The Fits have pretty noisy drivetrains. 

2008 Civic.  I assumed the new cars are quieter - competition.  I'm looking at a CRV for my next car but haven't got into that too deep.  I wanted to do that this past spring but then...  And now my Civic has 245,500 miles on it and is worth more dead than alive.  I am contemplating driving it all the way into the ground but I'm afraid that might take several years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

2008 Civic.  I assumed the new cars are quieter - competition.  I'm looking at a CRV for my next car but haven't got into that too deep.  I wanted to do that this past spring but then...  And now my Civic has 245,500 miles on it and is worth more dead than alive.  I am contemplating driving it all the way into the ground but I'm afraid that might take several years.

Wonderful if that is an automagic transmission!

I am not real a fan of my wife’s new crv. Rides too much like a truck for me. I vastly prefer Civic or Accord.  But I went Civic last time because the Accord felt too much like a Buick.