Does this look like a good budget tablet?

Ralphie

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

But siriusly folks, I browse a lot on my phone so a cheap tablet might make sense to help the phone’s battery last longer. But I guess it would be WiFi only, right?  But if I use it only at home that should be no biggie. 

I have a kindle that I can use as a cheap tablet for browsing.  I prefer a cheap chromebook to use almost as a tablet when sitting in my living room doing more than one thing at a time.  Larger display for my old damaged eyes and a better keyboard for my fat fingers.  If you're used to browsing on a phone however you might find a kindle to be enough.  It won't download programs and run them though, just apps and even there not all apps will run on a kindle.  The chromebook is the same in that regard.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I have a kindle that I can use as a cheap tablet for browsing.  I prefer a cheap chromebook to use almost as a tablet when sitting in my living room doing more than one thing at a time.  Larger display for my old damaged eyes and a better keyboard for my fat fingers.  If you're used to browsing on a phone however you might find a kindle to be enough.  It won't download programs and run them though, just apps and even there not all apps will run on a kindle.  The chromebook is the same in that regard.

Hmmm, my wife has an old kindle fire , but it is probably too old and may be lost or have a dead battery.  I remember it was pretty primitive as far as browsing went.  I liked using the kindle paper white for reading books. I see a lot of kindle fires advertised at around that $100 price point. 

17 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

But siriusly folks, I browse a lot on my phone so a cheap tablet might make sense to help the phone’s battery last longer. But I guess it would be WiFi only, right?  But if I use it only at home that should be no biggie. 

I just use my laptop.   I like having a keyboard.  

If you just use it at home on wi-fi, it should be OK.   You won't be getting any operating system updates from Samsung.   If were me I'd add Norton 360 to the device, (I can have 5 devices) for protection against virus, malware, etc...   

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I just use my laptop.   I like having a keyboard.  

If you just use it at home on wi-fi, it should be OK.   You won't be getting any operating system updates from Samsung.   If were me I'd add Norton 360 to the device, (I can have 5 devices) for protection against virus, malware, etc...   

Samsung doesn’t provide OS updates?  Why not?  I have an old laptop but the main detriments are limited screen brightness (can’t use outside except on a cloudy day) and heft and poor battery life. Other than that it is fine. :D  I guess continuing to use my iPhone 6s Plus is snot bad.  I got a new battery in it a year or to ago but I am noticing some decreased length of use between charges I use it so much.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Samsung doesn’t provide OS updates?  Why not?

The tablet you selected was originally released in 2014, running Android 5.1 Lollipop.   

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/galaxy-tab-e-9-6-wi-fi?redir=SM-T560NZKUXAR

Maybe they still will send updates, but I kind of doubt it.   

My Samsung Galaxy S7 phone got it's last update in April.   Except for 'critical' issues (whatever that means) I'm getting no updates. 

I'm still using the phone.  Phones are too dam expensive.  

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I've had an older version of the Samsung Tab.  Mine is a Galaxy Tab A.  It is reliable and works as designed.  The most annoying thing about it is that mine doesn't multitask.  That may have been addressed with later generations.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I have a Samsung tablet that is around 6 years old and it’s still going strong.  The battery doesn’t hold a charge very long but otherwise it’s good.  I watch my YouTube vids on it mostly.  I no longer use the laptop at home, I do everything on my phone or tablet.

Oh and yes Wifi only...

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Holy crap!  iPads START at $600! 

I have an IPhone and Android tablet.  It’s really not a big deal. Click on the icon & go.  

Interesting reading about the IOS updates & such. Mine must be a dinosaur but it works perfectly fine for my needs.  If I replace it it’s because the battery is crap.