Dammit! Daughter #2 just had her second car hit and totaled in the last 3 years, 3 in the last 6

Ralphie

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

How's daughter #1 fairing?

She has been better lately.  She has had a couple of accidents that were labeled as "at fault" but thankfully none recently.  But daughter #2 keeps getting hit while doing nothing wrong. I think the last one for daughter one was bogus because the asshat that hit her was going way too fast.  She pulled oot of a blind T intersection and got nailed.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Hope she is okay.  Cars can be replaced.  Daughters, not so much.

Thanks.  This one was a lot lower impact than the last one.  The last one was baaad, there was no doubt the car was totaled and she was pretty shook up and we were very lucky and thankful that she walked away with only minor injuries, although there may be lasting damage, don't really know yet. That one says a lot for the crash performance of a Civic.

This one was frustrating because it doesn't seem like the car should be totaled.  There was front and back damage, but the airbags didn't deploy.  I guess body work is just so darn expensive these days it doesn't take much.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If the other drivers are at fault then I'd sue for more than the car replacement, especially if there is any chance of damage to the daughter.  IMO it's a scam that someone can hit you and their insurance company can walk away for half the price of your car.  Check with a couple of lawyers.

Sadly she is going through that right now with the last crash. So far all she has to show for it is many lost work days for doctor visits, and it was over two years ago. They actually give you a fairly decent value but you still loose a thousand or three in the deal, not to mention the aggravation. 

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Can't you find the car and buy online or over the phone??    In many places the virus has helped minimize the pain of the car dealer experience. 

Sounds good.  A big part of the misery is she gets to pay sales tax all over again.  Hmm, I wonder if the insurance company pays you that - they certainly should.

Oh good, Uncle Google says in NJ they are obligated to pay all taxes and fees to make the owner whole, short of depreciation.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

So you got the engine rebuilt?    Remember, I have CRAFT disease. :D

No, we bought a used motor.  It was a pretty slick deal.  We would have put a ton of money into the old one, it would have needed everything, bored, honed, new pistons, rings, bearings.  The one we found had been gone though, run on propane (very clean) and it had a cam in it.  The guy had bought a rock crawler truck for the axles, transmission, etc.  He had a motor already and didn't need this one.  He put it on the facebooks and we snatched it up for 500.  A patient of mine owns a shop and he threw it in the truck for pretty cheap.  Then we started fixing a bunch of small things.  It runs and drives pretty good now.  

• Awesome 2