Another gripe

Dirtyhip

I received a certificate from my work.  I was a nominee for an award.  They sent this pretty certificate. 

The spelled my name wrong.  Wrong. 

You would think they know my name, y'know, cause of the paychecks, my w2, the office directory.

I opened the envelope and was speechless.  My husband was laughing and my mouth was just hanging open.

Another way to make me feel like I don't count.

Fuck you, 2020

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hugs 3

Our oldest daughter's name has 2 "a"s in a row. It's odd, but it makes sense and there are others out there with her spelling of the name. The newspaper, at the time, printed the high school honor rolls. It was her freshman year. They called us to make sure the spelling of the name was correct. I was surprised because they frequently misspelled far more common names. 

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I received a certificate from my work.  I was a nominee for an award.  They sent this pretty certificate. 

You would think they know my name, y'know, cause of the paychecks, my w2, the office directory.

I opened the envelope and was speechless.  My husband was laughing and my mouth was just hanging open.

Fuck you, 2020

My last name is easy but often misspelled. My previous last name was very frequently misspelled.   I usually return the certificate to whoever signed it with a nice note, “ thank you for thinking of me. This certificate would serve to commemorate your generous praise if my name was spelled correctly.”  Then I quietly put it in their mailbox. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Airehead said:

My last name is easy but often misspelled. My previous last name was very frequently misspelled.   I usually return the certificate to whoever signed it with a nice note, “ thank you for thinking of me. This certificate would serve to commemorate your generous praise if my name was spelled correctly.”  Then I quietly put it in their mailbox. 

In their defense it is hard to know if Airehead is your first or last name. Also is it Airhead, Airehead, Airhed, Airehed, Aireheade, or maybe Airheade.  See, this is difficult. 

(I'm leaving now. Don't kill me.)  :nyanya:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am going to hang this up, with the wrong name.  It's kind of hilarious and we can all laugh in my Dept.  

You got me beat, and can whatever me.  Our company had its 23rd birthday today, and to celebrate, they said they would send everybody food.

They sent Domino's pizza.

• Hugs 2

I just thought of a funny story. Many years ago at work, I worked w/ a dude who's last name was Harden. The Director of HR misspelled his name on some list. Wanna guess how? Hardon :D He was so pissed. We thought it was funny AF. So he took a picture of a keyboard and pointed arrows to the E and O and hung it up. They're on opposite sides he said. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I just thought of a funny story. Many years ago at work, I worked w/ a dude who's last name was Harden. The Director of HR misspelled his name on some list. Wanna guess how? Hardon :D He was so pissed. We thought it was funny AF. So he took a picture of a keyboard and pointed arrows to the E and O and hung it up. They're on opposite sides he said. 

Comedy gold. :D

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Fuck you, 2020

...instead of all this kvetching, did it ever occur to you to just do a legal name change to the one on the certificate ?:huh:

You need to be thinking out of the box if you expect to survive in the faceless world of office drones.  Out of the Box !

My last name is Cashen but very often someone spells it "Cashin."  I learned it allegedly derives from an original Irish last name that's something like "Cassion."  I further learned that my great-great grandfather's name is spelled "Cashin" in Irish records.  There is Bay of Cashen and a Cashen River in Ireland so I don't know for sure what came first.

But I wish mine was spelled "Cashin" because when I give people my last name on the phone I have to say, "It's like 'cash in' your chips except 'en' instead of 'in.'"  I wouldn't need to add the "except" if it was Cashin and I doubt many would misspell it as "Cashen" and it would still basically sound the same.  But there's a shitload of Cashen's in the USA I'm related to from the East Coast to Alaska, so I'm stuck with "en" to stay remembered in the extended family.