The Canned Stewed Tomatoes Drought may be ending

MickinMD

Throughout September, my relatives from Virginia to Pennsylvania and New Jersey have been agonizing over the fact you couldn't find canned stewed tomatoes in the stores. There have been plenty of diced, crushed, and whole tomatoes, but no stewed!

It must be a passed-down-through-the-ages taste, because so many of us frequently eat stewed tomatoes. I got the point where I was starting to search the net to find out what seasonings are needed to turn diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes into stewed tomatoes.

Locally I haven't been able to find them at Walmart, Costco (none yesterday), and the various supermarkets.

Then, yesterday, I went to an Aldi store and there were lots of stewed tomatoes, 14.5 oz/$0.45 - with a sign saying only 4 per person.  At another store, I got two.  Then at a third store they had lots of stewed tomatoes, 5 14.5 oz. cans for $3.  So I came home with 11 cans for $5.70.  That should last me a month or so.

The next few days are Sloppy Joes and Spanish Rice with diced tomatoes added, but I'm sure to have stewed tomatoes on the side soon after with my pressure cooked chuck roast and mushroom gravy with nuked baby gold potatoes and stewed tomatoes.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I love stewed tomatoes with bread in them. In the 8th grade they would serve us little Dixie cups of it during lunch. Most people wouldn't eat them, but I would. I think my record was 12 cups.

I have an older brother named Jerry. You two must be twins. He would come home from school and say: “We had spinach for lunch today, nobody else likes spinach so I ate 15 servings”.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Throughout September, my relatives from Virginia to Pennsylvania and New Jersey have been agonizing over the fact you couldn't find canned stewed tomatoes in the stores. There have been plenty of diced, crushed, and whole tomatoes, but no stewed!

It must be a passed-down-through-the-ages taste, because so many of us frequently eat stewed tomatoes. I got the point where I was starting to search the net to find out what seasonings are needed to turn diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes into stewed tomatoes.

Locally I haven't been able to find them at Walmart, Costco (none yesterday), and the various supermarkets.

Then, yesterday, I went to an Aldi store and there were lots of stewed tomatoes, 14.5 oz/$0.45 - with a sign saying only 4 per person.  At another store, I got two.  Then at a third store they had lots of stewed tomatoes, 5 14.5 oz. cans for $3.  So I came home with 11 cans for $5.70.  That should last me a month or so.

The next few days are Sloppy Joes and Spanish Rice with diced tomatoes added, but I'm sure to have stewed tomatoes on the side soon after with my pressure cooked chuck roast and mushroom gravy with nuked baby gold potatoes and stewed tomatoes.

You are retired and very frugal, why are you not canning your own stewed tomatoes? They are very easy to make. A couple weeks ago I could have given you a bushel of tomatoes to work on. I didn’t use them and they rotted in the garden.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

been agonizing over the fact you couldn't find canned stewed tomatoes in the stores.

I have agonized over a lot of stuff in my 65 years of sucking oxygen but I don't think, no I'm positive, I never in my life said, "Darn, what an I going to do? There are no stewed tomatoes."

Well maybe in a dream but never in real life.  I course I wouldn't really know that either since I never remember my dreams.

Red Gold Tomatoes from central Indiana is a client of ours.  I can get a case anytime I want

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I don't understand stewed tomatoes, and their purpose and uses.  Can someone explain?

...I'm glad you asked, because it shows curiosity and interest in life long learning.

A Visual Guide to the 7 Major Types of Canned Tomatoes.

The differences in the varieties of canned tomatoes come down to how they’re processed. Processing always starts by removing the skins of the tomatoes, but after that, how they’re broken down and what they’re sealed in the can with may vary by variety and brand. The labeling of varieties isn’t totally consistent across brands, but here are the ones you’ll most likely see at the store, from least to most processed....

Now we move on to tomato products that usually undergo some cooking before the canning process. Stewed tomatoes are tomatoes that have been cut up and cooked, usually with seasonings, like salt, sugar, or spices, before they’re packed into cans. You should read the labels carefully here to see exactly what you’re getting, as ingredients vary from brand to brand. Also know that stewed tomatoes should not be used in recipes calling for plain tomato products, as the added seasonings will affect the flavor of the dish.

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

Pumpkin was back in stock so I got the limit of 4. Will stop everyday until I have 40. It is an important ingredient in our dogs’ food. 
I saw stewed tomatoes but there was no tomatoes paste. 

I hope you got Red Warty Things. They are the best pumpkins to eat.  You bake and freeze your own.  If you come visit the corn maze in the next few weeks I will give you enough RWT to overload the Volvo dog limo.

DSCN0719a.jpg.9cfa7d1706f2c2e232a84a1e3716f684.jpg

I strongly suggest that you get a few seeds and raise your own. The dogs will love you for it.  You will love them.

Warning: Be careful and put them close to the dog yard.  Deer love them too.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I have agonized over a lot of stuff in my 65 years of sucking oxygen but I don't think, no I'm positive, I never in my life said, "Darn, what an I going to do? There are no stewed tomatoes."

Well maybe in a dream but never in real life.  I course I wouldn't really know that either since I never remember my dreams.

Red Gold Tomatoes from central Indiana is a client of ours.  I can get a case anytime I want

I hate when Kzoo is right. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

I hope you got Red Warty Things. They are the best pumpkins to eat.  You bake and freeze your own.  If you come visit the corn maze in the next few weeks I will give you enough RWT to overload the Volvo dog limo.

DSCN0719a.jpg.9cfa7d1706f2c2e232a84a1e3716f684.jpg

I strongly suggest that you get a few seeds and raise your own. The dogs will love you for it.  You will love them.

Warning: Be careful and put them close to the dog yard.  Deer love them too.

I actually just had a discussion with Einstein where he was figuring out how much pumpkin we use in a year. It could easily be shredded and frozen. Doesn’t even need to be cooked. I may can some however because the freezer is usually full of meat for them. 

21 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You are retired and very frugal, why are you not canning your own stewed tomatoes? They are very easy to make. A couple weeks ago I could have given you a bushel of tomatoes to work on. I didn’t use them and they rotted in the garden.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had some canning equipment that came as part of a bushel sized crab steamer and lost it in my house fire.  Next year, back home, maybe I'll plant a bunch of tomatoes and do some canning.

• Heart 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Airehead said:

Pumpkin was back in stock so I got the limit of 4. Will stop everyday until I have 40. It is an important ingredient in our dogs’ food. 
I saw stewed tomatoes but there was no tomatoes paste. 

81CAA7AA-2B2E-44BC-A74D-99E4E0FA2229.jpeg.f0e68fde5bba165fd4a24f8605851f19.jpeg7C94D4E6-FD15-40A3-A084-821C1E9C2DF3.jpeg.3fd5f8be37615a7328982a53978dd996.jpegMy LGS doesn’t have any limits on pumpkin and they have many brands and sizes. I would guess places like Aldi have a better price but I shop local so I can get back home quicker.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If these are stewed tomatoes, we use a lot of them.  Great for cooking other veggies in.

Amazon.com : Muir Glen, Organic Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes, 28 oz :  Grocery & Gourmet Food

Not stewed tomatoes. It is the way that are seasoned that make them stewed. I bought three cans of those on Thursday. Like to have them for emergencies