Black Licorice can kill

MickinMD

I've never liked black licorice but like red licorice.  Now there's a good known reason to chew red if you're going for licorice.

According to both the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun, red licorice does not have the GZA poisoning agent that comes from the licorice plant because red licorice is actually a total fraud and not made from the licorice plant at all!

"If you're 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia,"

"Recently, a 54-year-old Massachusetts construction worker died after he ate a bag-and-a-half of black licorice every day for a few weeks that threw off his electrolytes and caused cardiac arrest"

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/black-licorice-sweetening-compound-bad-adults/story?id=73217430

29 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Well there is a big ass lawsuit!  I don’t think they have death warning labels!

I have commented before that the Dutch eat salted black licorice. We call it “drop”.  There is a particular type of drop called “double zout” which is literally double salt.  It’s freaking gnarly and I don’t care for it but many of my siblings do.   

Now that shit needs a warning label!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Soft Australian black licorice.  Da Best!

Yeah I like it too.  Ever go to those candy stores where you scoop various candies into a bag & pay by the lb?  I love that licorice mix, I think it’s called bridge mix.  

Every Easter my son & wife always leave me the black jellybeans too!

I rarely eat it these days but damn do I love black licorice.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I like it too.  Ever go to those candy stores where you scoop various candies into a bag & pay by the lb?  I love that licorice mix, I think it’s called bridge mix.  

Every Easter my son & wife always leave me the black jellybeans too!

I rarely eat it these days but damn do I love black licorice.

Same here!  Here they are called licorice all-sorts and there are some pure black cylinders but mostly little square sandwiches with white and brown and some with jimmy-like coverings.  All sorts are all good!

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I've never liked black licorice but like red licorice.  Now there's a good known reason to chew red if you're going for licorice.

According to both the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun, red licorice does not have the GZA poisoning agent that comes from the licorice plant because red licorice is actually a total fraud and not made from the licorice plant at all!

"If you're 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia,"

"Recently, a 54-year-old Massachusetts construction worker died after he ate a bag-and-a-half of black licorice every day for a few weeks that threw off his electrolytes and caused cardiac arrest"

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/black-licorice-sweetening-compound-bad-adults/story?id=73217430

I actually thought real licorice was banned in the US. I remember a big to do about the health hazards of it when I was a kid. Name brand candy makers quit using licorice extract and instead started using anise extract and food coloring. It didn’t taste as good. 
Mick, when I was delivering stuff to the ports in Baltimore across the water I could see a huge building I think the words National Licorice Company. I asked one of the port workers what that was and they said licorice used to be a big deal but that place went out of business years ago.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Same here!  Here they are called licorice all-sorts and there are some pure black cylinders but mostly little square sandwiches with white and brown and some with jimmy-like coverings.  All sorts are all good!

Oh man remind me to go on a road trip with you!  

• Haha 1