Wearing a T shirt, jeans & running shoes

ChrisL

I have never worn a shirt to the office during the work week that didn't have a collar until the stay at home orders in March.  Now I wear one once or twice a week but only on days I know no one will be in the office.  On days I know I have video meeting (like today) I wear a collared shirt even if the office is empty.

#it'simportant

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have never worn a shirt to the office during the work week that didn't have a collar until the stay at home orders in March.  Now I wear one once or twice a week but only on days I know no one will be in the office.  On days I know I have video meeting (like today) I wear a collared shirt even if the office is empty.

#it'simportant

Yeah, if circumstances demand I wear a collared shirt.  Have worn a coat and tie 6 or 7 times total in the last few years.

One of my favorite CEO's (well, company president actually) was often the guy in t shirt and jeans working on the lab bench next to me. He was a cool guy who got/deserved all the respect he got by being one of the nations top laser PHD's.  He was also open to ideas, even if he had some thought that they might be incorrect and gave the staff room to run with them.

Unfortunately no matter how hard we tried to turn him into a cyclist, he was a runner.    Evil.

I stayed with that man through three companies, but I could see that he was being ground down by corporate America.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

One of my favorite CEO's (well, company president actually) was often the guy in t shirt and jeans working on the lab bench next to me. He was a cool guy who got/deserved all the respect he got by being one of the nations top laser PHD's.  He was also open to ideas, even if he had some thought that they might be incorrect and gave the staff room to run with them.

Unfortunately no matter how hard we tried to turn him into a cyclist, he was a runner.    Evil.

I stayed with that man through three companies, but I could see that he was being ground down by corporate America.

What is your point?  Not one single reference to a collared shirt.  Please rework your draft and resubmit for approval.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, if circumstances demand I wear a collared shirt.  Have worn a coat and tie 6 or 7 times total in the last few years.

Yeah ties went the way some years ago for me.   I used to wear a suit daily for about 10 years, then a tie daily, suit regularly for another 5 or so years.  

Work uniform used to be shirt with tie, slacks and dress shoes. As I started doing more work with printers and copiers, ties didn't make sense so boss purchased polos with company name on them. Still slacks and dress shoes. Still wear that most days. When we are doing IT for the state fair, he grudgingly conceded to us wearing shorts and running shoes because that is how the fair staff dresses. Makes a lot more sense when we are outside a lot in late August! We are also wearing jeans more on days that require a lot more physical work around construction and industrial sites. 

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I wear collared instructor shirt during courses, on ops or inbetween I wear a navy t-shirt with our school logo on it.  Same pants either way, navy fatigues, and steelntoe boots if working in the warehouse or field, and black sneakers if driving a desk all day

You mean the fins actually come off?

• Haha 2

On 9/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, ChrisL said:

To work today...

First time that I can remember I wore a non collard shirt to work.   And the staff noticed too.  I got several comments from my staff & others working on my campus... Wow boss, dressing down today huh?!?!

Occasionally I'd be coaching a high school team that had an early playoff game or out-of-state tournament and we left school on the team bus right after lunch.

So, I'd teach my morning classes wearing my coaching clothes and some of the kids would be shocked.

People get into a routine about how they envision you and anything unusual comes as a shock. I think it's like when you see a one-episode character on a TV show and you know that actor from another show but can't place it because they're not dressed the same or in the same role as the other show.

If I was invited by my students or athletes parents to the adult living room versions of their graduation parties, the students in the basement, backyard, etc. at the teenagers' party would see me drinking beer and the info would spread like a wildfire through the school on Monday that I was seen drinking beer!

• Heart 1

On 9/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, ChrisL said:

To work today...

First time that I can remember I wore a non collard shirt to work.   And the staff noticed too.  I got several comments from my staff & others working on my campus... Wow boss, dressing down today huh?!?!

Sort of the opposite of the guy I spotted jogging yesterday:

Collared.thumb.png.05e45949e3ed6aaf20cd7c63ca6cb86e.png

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sort of the opposite of the guy I spotted jogging yesterday:

Collared.thumb.png.05e45949e3ed6aaf20cd7c63ca6cb86e.png

When I was between jobs I would take my son to school daily.  I’d always see this middle eastern guy dressed in a polo shirt, collar up, tucked into short running shorts jogging in the neighborhood.  It was a strange look but whatever, he was getting after it!

Just now, ChrisL said:

When I was between jobs I would take my son to school daily.  I’d always see this middle eastern guy dressed in a polo shirt, collar up, tucked into short running shorts jogging in the neighborhood.  It was a strange look but whatever, he was getting after it!

Yep. I see it fairly regularly where a person is exercising in what most of us would consider to NOT be exercise clothing.  Jeans or khakis or collared shirts and "work/office" shoes.  But, like you write - they're out there doing it, so far better than being dressed to exercise while sitting on the couch watching football all day. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. I see it fairly regularly where a person is exercising in what most of us would consider to NOT be exercise clothing.  Jeans or khakis or collared shirts and "work/office" shoes.  But, like you write - they're out there doing it, so far better than being dressed to exercise while sitting on the couch watching football all day. 

I used to hate days where we had to PT in BDU’s & boots and then wear them stanky uniforms all day. Granted it usually happened while in training so we were still getting dirty but just the feeling of them sweaty ass clothes on you all day gives me the heebie jeebies.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I used to hate days where we had to PT in BDU’s & boots and then wear them stanky uniforms all day. Granted it usually happened while in training so we were still getting dirty but just the feeling of them sweaty ass clothes on you all day gives me the heebie jeebies.

But, oddly, as a kid, we pretty much did EVERYTHING in street clothes or even dress clothes.  How many times at a family party did a bunch of you go out in the yard wearing your "good clothes" and come back in a while later all covered in sweat and with grass stains on the knees from playing a pick up game of football or baseball or kick the can or whatever?  Recess during school was often all sorts of mayhem. Nowadays, I have a closet packed with cycling specific clothing as well as other sport specific stuff.  It does work "better" but at its core, it is pretty unnecessary.