Mac and cheese is generally not very good...

Randomguy

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

You need to try it at a local place to me. Best mac n cheese ever. Served in a little crock, and baked. Slightly burnt on top. The best. Homemade style. Not that microwave package crap.

The only way to really screw up mac and cheese is to make it too dry.  Still tastes great oot of a box or microwave container.  I thought Stouffers was pretty darn good.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Mmmm - oddly I have never had a chance to try that.  My wife prefers seefood mac and cheese, but that is always to rich for me.  I would much prefer this. :)

I did finally male some jalapeno cornbread, but sadly I overbaked it just a tad, so it was dry. :(

Jalapeno makes damn near everything better

• Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The only way to really screw up mac and cheese is to make it too dry.  Still tastes great oot of a box or microwave container.  I thought Stouffers was pretty darn good.

As much as I love pumpkin stuff, I fear the pumpkin spice macaroni and cheese may not be a good idea. But I'm willing to give it a try.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Kirby said:

As much as I love pumpkin stuff, I fear the pumpkin spice macaroni and cheese may not be a good idea. But I'm willing to give it a try.

I think a sweet type of spice would be strange for mac and cheese. 

I just realized that though I didn't have mac and cheese, a few yrs. ago, I had a shrimp saffron handmade spaetzel in a British Columbia mountain town.  The restaurant couple:  she was Anglo and he was East Indian. It was delicious and well-executed!  Dearie gave a thumbs up too.  His family is from the country, that invented spaetzel  --Germany.

spacer.png

• Awesome 1

14 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Mmmm - oddly I have never had a chance to try that.  My wife prefers seefood mac and cheese, but that is always to rich for me.  I would much prefer this. :)

I did finally male some jalapeno cornbread, but sadly I overbaked it just a tad, so it was dry. :(

Add shredded cheese to the corn bread. Keeps it from drying oot 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I stupidly bought some Annie's mac and cheese, the kind with the sauce already ready to dump on the shells.  It lacked flavor.

We eat that on easy nights.  I add cream cheese when you do that powder, and mix it in.  One heaping tbsp makes a world of difference.  Creamier.    The oat milk works just fine with all the recipes that we make, but there is no substitute for real cheese.  The vegan cheese tastes like garbage and is loaded with strange ingredients. Might as well just eat cheese.

We eat far less animal products these days.  It's better for the budget too.  Meat is very expensive.  

Tonight, I am making some shredded pork for tacos.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

...if it is made with shells.  It needs elbow macaroni, or else it is garbage.

Prove me wrong.

I agree about shells not being best, but I also like rotini because it grabs the sauce.  I also like it a lot more with 1/2 a sweet onion diced and fried and added to the mac & cheese in the final mixing and almost everything tastes better with a little garlic powder added.

By the way, I love the new Kraft Extra Creamy Mac & Cheese that uses 1/2 cup milk instead of 1/4 cup - I always add a small handful of the shredded cheddar to it that I always have in my fridge to kick-it-up a notch.

When I'm ambitious, I adapted a great, easy-to-make cheese sauce for veggies, pasta, etc. I found here that turns cheap, baked Tilapia into a gourmet meal and that relatives love on holidays when I use this sauce to make broccoli and cauliflower and cheese:

https://www.food.com/recipe/baked-tilapia-w-fondue-sauce-and-crab-211482

Use the sauce with pasta, veggies, or fish: 3 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp flour fried together for a couple minutes (gets the raw taste out of the flour) on low heat in a frying pan to make a pasty roux. Slowly stir-in 1 to 1.5 cup of milk (any %fat, more milk = more cheesy coating) and continue stirring until it thickens over medium heat to make a White (aka Bechamel) Sauce: it will feel a little lumpy until it gets a little hotter and, suddenly, it begins to thicken and the lumps dissolve.  Then, over low heat, slowly add 5-8 oz. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (some other soft cheeses work: I've chopped a brick of Brie into slices and used it and it works) to the White Sauce to make a fondue sauce. You can add some additional seasonings: 1/2 tsp mustard works great, some add around 1/8 tsp nutmeg into it. It's perfect for mac & cheese, broccoli/cauliflower & cheese, coating baked whitefish filets their last few min. in the oven (add a drained 4.5-6.5 oz can of crabmeat to the sauce to make it tastier and gourmet!), etc.

22 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have to admit...more often or not it is the blue box 1/2 at a time..or velveta..I made an awesome 3 cheese with spinach baked mac once but damnit  making it for 1 or 2 servings is almost impossible.

Can you make like an individual crock size?  If you are making it homemade, you can make any size you want.  

• Heart 2