Someone else's situation, gives me pause

shootingstar

So an 81 yr. old (long divorced) woman plans to sell her condo (I think) in the suburb of Metro VAncovuer......and move in small city just 40 kms.north of our prairie city.  I think she feels she has little option because she knows she will eventually needs more help. This is to enable her to be geographically in same city as her son, adult grandchildren. She currrently has chronic lung inflammation. Just had successful cataract surgery. She did have slight heart problem.

So she would find an apartment later next year. She's not thrilled at all by becoming dependent on others to give her a car lift, etc.  This suburb is very car-centric.  Currently she lives within a 15 min. walk of transit (which she uses often), shops and some services. She no longer drives. This is someone who cycled across Canada in her late 50's as a retirement gift to herself. So someone who is used to being physcially quite mobile.  I think she had 2 bikes at least.

Our winters are far colder, we gets lots more snow and ice.  Metro VAncouver has the mildest winters in all of Canada.

Admittedly, I worry about self abit decades from now.  But as long as one has a roof over self...

A lot of factors go into determining what is the "right" answer, and they won't be the same for any of us. If you have children and have a good relationship with them, it may be worth moving to be near them - even if you want to keep a separate place and maintain independence.  I don't have kids, so that's not an option for me.  I'm probably more willing to consider some sort of assisted living or senior living arrangement in the future where they can handle basic shopping  and arrange other transportation.  Other people I know have elected to move to city locations from the suburbs after the kids leave the house, so that they can walk to essential services and maintain independence that way.

People find a way to make things work even if it means bringing in extra help, incldu0ng family, friends or paid providers, to assist with necessary services.

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

A lot of factors go into determining what is the "right" answer, and they won't be the same for any of us. If you have children and have a good relationship with them, it may be worth moving to be near them - even if you want to keep a separate place and maintain independence.  I don't have kids, so that's not an option for me.  I'm probably more willing to consider some sort of assisted living or senior living arrangement in the future where they can handle basic shopping  and arrange other transportation.  Other people I know have elected to move to city locations from the suburbs after the kids leave the house, so that they can walk to essential services and maintain independence that way.

People find a way to make things work even if it means bringing in extra help, incldu0ng family, friends or paid providers, to assist with necessary services.

This is why I've always believed for single aging folks it is better they not live isolated in too small towns far from services/require a car.

I know this 81 yr. friend is assessing potential neighbourhoods by walk score.  There is scale in urban planning world...

the neighbourhoods where we live in prairie city and Vancouver rate very high in walkability - over 90+ out of 100. Within 15 min. walk to parks, transit, some shops, services. I've lived like this also In Toronto. It is buying into/living in such neighbourhoods.  My employee profile included this:

image.png.995c8f92b6fccefe7a4ba18b289d7d63.png

28 minutes ago, Kirby said:

A single woman I knew well (she was my career mentor lst before we just became friends) lived close to services in Toronto, after she gave up her car. She was active as a volunteer in various groups and had a circle of various good friends in Toronto.

• Heart 1