I just bought some South African Clementines

Randomguy

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Pretty dang tasty!  The Spanish still grow the best, but these are good!

...by far the best ones come from the tree in my front yard, sir. And I do not live in Spain, nor do I dance to the sultry music of the Flamenco. (OK maybe infrequently I dance a little bit to Flamenco.)

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Pretty dang tasty!  The Spanish still grow the best, but these are good!

50 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...by far the best ones come from the tree in my front yard, sir. And I do not live in Spain, nor do I dance to the sultry music of the Flamenco. (OK maybe infrequently I dance a little bit to Flamenco.)

He speaks the truth.  I fly down annually to pick them from his sidewalk.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Believe it or not, I used to grow tangerines in Maryland.  It was a small, 3-4 foot high tree/bush that grew about 6-9 small tangerines in a big planter that I took inside when the weather got cold.  Tangerine trees have thorns, I got tired of scraping my leg on the thorns while vacuuming - I thought I should keep it near my living room's picture window, and eventually gave it away.

Next time, I might try figs.  In Maryland, the winter trick is to wrap the fig tree in a blanket, push it down to the ground in a mini-trench you dig so you can cover it with a foot of soil you got from the trench.  When you stand it up the next spring alongside a stick to keep it up, the trunk still gets nourished by the roots and it soon stands on its own.

11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Truth...  If you live in citrus country you get spoiled.  No store bought citrus is as as good as citrus that’s allowed to ripen on the tree.  

In a few months my dog walks will take a circuitous route as I hit up the neighborhood trees that hang over common areas & are loaded with fruit.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Truth...  If you live in citrus country you get spoiled.  No store bought citrus is as as good as citrus that’s allowed to ripen on the tree.  

In a few months my dog walks will take a circuitous route as I hit up the neighborhood trees that hang over common areas & are loaded with fruit.

My Aunt had a lemon tree when she owned a house in Sunnyvale, and it was really cool to make lemonade from something fresh off a tree.  I wasn't going through lemons at a rapid clip before I visited, so no real direct comparison there, but it was still awesome to just grab what you needed.

• Heart 1