Weird electrical

maddmaxx
Go to solution Solved by BR46,

Remember the outlet womaxx broke.  Well, I installed a new one today.  The old one had one outlet (upper) that worked with a wall switch.  The new one has both outlets on all the time.  I removed one wire at a time from the old one and put it in the same location on the new one.  How does such a thing happen?

14 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Y’all know, after he breaks the tab off, he’ll prolly have one outlet that doesn’t work cuz he didn’t connect the other hot wire?

Or it has a common neutral and he broke the wrong tab off or both tabs.

• Heart 1

It's possible, but unlikely, you are feeding the receptacle from two sources in the distribution box. So two breakers may blow in a short situation. The configuration you discovered meets code requirement to have control of lighting from near the entry to the room. You would plug a lamp into the switched side of the receptacle and control it with the switch by the door. Otherwise, you would have a ceiling fixture serve that purpose.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

It's possible, but unlikely, you are feeding the receptacle from two sources in the distribution box. So two breakers may blow in a short situation. The configuration you discovered meets code requirement to have control of lighting from near the entry to the room. You would plug a lamp into the switched side of the receptacle and control it with the switch by the door. Otherwise, you would have a ceiling fixture serve that purpose.

yep.  Both outlets went down though when I pulled the breaker.  I'm very careful about being one switch away from disaster.

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Hmmm....  You probably should stay away from 3 way or 4 way switches.  ;)

They were easy.  Last year I replaced a 2 1/2 way switch and dimmer with a normal 2 switch 3 way.  No tabs to break off though.

Given about 24 hours to set up, move all my software and address/passwords the secret lab will probably be back up and running by Tuesday night.  I think the windows 7 machine is going to get tossed as well.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I think the windows 7 machine is going to get tossed as well.

Depends on how old your Win 7 machine is.   My laptop and WoBG's desktop (that's what she wanted) both were Win 7 computers.  I held on until the end of Win 7, and I upgraded both to Win 10.  And I swapped out the hard drive for SSD in my laptop.  Wow.. the laptop (an old Lenovo T530) is fast again.  

You can always do a clean install for Win 10.    That helps too.     I did that for the laptop.  

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Depends on how old your Win 7 machine is.   My laptop and WoBG's desktop (that's what she wanted) both were Win 7 computers.  I held on until the end of Win 7, and I upgraded both to Win 10.  And I swapped out the hard drive for SSD in my laptop.  Wow.. the laptop (an old Lenovo T530) is fast again.  

You can always do a clean install for Win 10.    That helps too.     I did that for the laptop.  

4 minutes ago, Further said:

I have an XP machine sitting on a shelf....in case I ever want to look at all the pictures that are on it...

IMO somewho these two posts came here from the other thread (broken windows)

The windows 7 machine has always thrown up when attempting a windows 10 install.  Rather than bother I believe I'll rob some power supplies out of it and punt.  I suppose I could pull the SATA HDD and install that in #2 drive bay but that seems silly when the price for another 500gb sdd is now down to about $60.