Free money and gotcha's from Amazon

Randomguy

Today I signed up for a credit card at Amazon, and got $60 in credit for the pleasure of it.  Yay!  That said, those sneaky bastards kept putting the new card (with a usurious rate) as my default payment method for orders.  I changed it back to the card I wanted, and decided to do some housekeeping and remove old credit cards I don't use anymore from their payment field.  There wasn't a bulk way to remove them, so I had to do them one at a time.  Each time I removed a card, it updated the default payment method to the new and expensive card.  Not like it was hard to change it back, but it still pissed me off.  I know they want to make the money back with the new card and all, but screw that, I want to pay with my debit card like always.

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Ya know you get 5% back on the usurious card??

I think that is only on Prime stuff, and at Whole Foods, but it's a good deal.  They also have a special offer for a higher percentage back through the end of the year on all purchases (although I think the time to qualify for that offer is over), so they're trying to get people to use it as their everyday card.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I think that is only on Prime stuff, and at Whole Foods, but it's a good deal.  They also have a special offer for a higher percentage back through the end of the year on all purchases (although I think the time to qualify for that offer is over), so they're trying to get people to use it as their everyday card.

I use it as my everyday card. Between purchases for work and hotels I get about $50-75 back per month. 

• Heart 1

I have an Amazon Prime Visa that produces quite a few bucks at Amazon.  Just like my Discover card, take the points and run but don't forget to pay the bill at the end of the month.  I don't travel anymore so these cards are better than air miles.  I spent long enough on contract work a few years ago  to pay for a vacation for two in FL with air miles, frequent renter miles at Hertz and free sleeper miles at the Residence Inn.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Amazon gives you free shipping with a twenty five dollar purchase but they try to trick you out of it. If your first item in your cart is $20 they have a pop up that tells you if you spend $5 more you get free shipping. When you go to check out they have a shipping charge added on your bill. You have to look all over the page for where they have hidden the shipping options this time. They keep moving it around. Now they have the standard shipping, two day shipping, and the four day shipping. They don’t tell you which is free shipping but you have to figure it will be the slowest. I ordered some popcorn for my wife today and they added a nine dollar shipping charge. I clicked on four day shipping and they removed the charge. I wonder how many people click on the complete order button without noticing they added a shipping charge.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/26/2020 at 12:09 PM, Randomguy said:

Today I signed up for a credit card at Amazon, and got $60 in credit for the pleasure of it.  Yay!  That said, those sneaky bastards kept putting the new card (with a usurious rate) as my default payment method for orders.  I changed it back to the card I wanted, and decided to do some housekeeping and remove old credit cards I don't use anymore from their payment field.  There wasn't a bulk way to remove them, so I had to do them one at a time.  Each time I removed a card, it updated the default payment method to the new and expensive card.  Not like it was hard to change it back, but it still pissed me off.  I know they want to make the money back with the new card and all, but screw that, I want to pay with my debit card like always.

I haven't carried any credit card debt for a decade since I was renovating my 2nd house for sale, have an 800+ credit rating and significant assets, but my several credit card interest rates range from 15.99% (American Express) to 26.99% (Amazon Store Card).  I don't expect to every need to carry credit card debt again, but what the card companies/banks are doing to those that do should be illegal.  It probably would be if we didn't have a corrupt Congress.

Back when I had debt, I could call a card company and get the rate lowered to 4.99%.  I doubt that happens anymore despite incredibly low fed rates.

15 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I haven't carried any credit card debt for a decade since I was renovating my 2nd house for sale, have an 800+ credit rating and significant assets, but my several credit card interest rates range from 15.99% (American Express) to 26.99% (Amazon Store Card).  I don't expect to every need to carry credit card debt again, but what the card companies/banks are doing to those that do should be illegal.  It probably would be if we didn't have a corrupt Congress.

Back when I had debt, I could call a card company and get the rate lowered to 4.99%.  I doubt that happens anymore despite incredibly low fed rates.

Agreed.  They should never be able to charge those insane rates, when they get credit for practically nothing.  The most they should charge is 10%, if the applicant is current.  If an applicant is not current, maybe up to 18% with applicable late fees added.  

Credit is almost free these days if you own a home and carry debt on that home.

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't expect to every need to carry credit card debt again, but what the card companies/banks are doing to those that do should be illegal.  It probably would be if we didn't have a corrupt Congress.

It is rather disgusting and predatory, but hey, we live in a kind and just society :D  Who doesn't like making $$$ off the poorest among us?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is rather disgusting and predatory, but hey, we live in a kind and just society :D  Who doesn't like making $$$ off the poorest among us?

I was having fun loaning money to Citibank and other companies with short term notes.  I have eased up on that, cause I need to buy mood, metal and concrete now.  

35 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed.  They should never be able to charge those insane rates, when they get credit for practically nothing.  The most they should charge is 10%, if the applicant is current.  If an applicant is not current, maybe up to 18% with applicable late fees added.  

Credit is almost free these days if you own a home and carry debt on that home.

You have to carry the dead beats just like the hospital has to charge for the freebies.