So, do you stop at the word “hair”?

MoseySusan

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Based on usage in the service, the latter part of the phrase is understood well enough to be super flurious.   You've said it even if your haven't said it.

That’s how I see it. Let the vulgar part be an understanding. 

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

That’s how I see it. Let the vulgar part be an understanding. 

...doesn't this predispose us toward assuming vulgarity when something is omitted in any other slang vernacular phrase like this ?  I'm thinking of how I always use, "...and the horse you rode in on, " as a handy substitute for "Fuck you." If we were not predisposed toward assuming vulgarity, it might imply, "I have great respect for you, and the horse you rode in on."

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, roadsue said:

When using the idiom “They’ve got a wild hair...”, is that where you stop?

Nope. I am not saying it as a matter of fact. I am saying it to force the impression. Hence the vulgar part. You could just as easily say, "He has a wild hair in his arm pit." It is just as big a pain. Does that express the intent?

11 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I have never heard the phrase before....  and still not sure what it is supposed to mean or what the end of the phrase is..., and am a little afraid to google it on my work phone 

“A wild hair up your arse” describes a sudden and obsessive behavior. For example, someone who decides to empty everything out of the cupboards to clean and sort. On a Friday night. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Nope. I am not saying it as a matter of fact. I am saying it to force the impression. Hence the vulgar part. You could just as easily say, "He has a wild hair in his arm pit." It is just as big a pain. Does that express the intent?

Having a wild hair could be taken as a quirk, a little something not quite where it’s usually been, like a curl in the hairstyle that doesn’t lay right. When taken like that, it loses the obsessive part of the idiom. The uncomfortable itch that cannot be scratched.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...doesn't this predispose us toward assuming vulgarity when something is omitted in any other slang vernacular phrase like this ?  I'm thinking of how I always use, "...and the horse you rode in on, " as a handy substitute for "Fuck you." If we were not predisposed toward assuming vulgarity, it might imply, "I have great respect for you, and the horse you rode in on."

Certainly makes their usage more kid-friendly. What 10 year-old wouldn’t want to ride in on a horse, hairs all wild, carrying a bag full of hammers. 

• Haha 1