Sardines...yay or nay?

petitepedal

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Try a pinch of anchovies in your next spaghetti sauce.  One of the best small Italian restaurants in our area does this and their sauce is famous.  Very few people know about the anchovies though.  People are funny like that.

So I heard a bit of anchovies was good, I put in about a half a can

That was a lot more than a bit 

Why make the can so big?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I find myself eating them, because they are healthy.  

I'd rather have a salmon, cod or halibut.

This^  I would take them on the bike for nutrition but only if I know I’ll be near a trash can. I’m not carrying an empty sardine can around with me. I’ll take a foil pack of tuna or salmon on the bike and carry the empty foil pack back home in a zip lock bag.

2 hours ago, Further said:

So I heard a bit of anchovies was good, I put in about a half a can

That was a lot more than a bit 

Why make the can so big?

Because some people have big pots. 

sardines are ok, we buy them frequently for the dogs. They help with trace minerals in their diet. I prefer anchovies. 

@Further, by a tube of anchovy paste for cooking. Then just squeeze out a small amount and throw the tube in the fridge. 

• Awesome 2

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Try a pinch of anchovies in your next spaghetti sauce.  One of the best small Italian restaurants in our area does this and their sauce is famous.  Very few people know about the anchovies though.  People are funny like that.

Anchovies make a good start to any sauce.  Toss one in pan before you sauté your aromatics.  They dissolve adding a deep rich flavor in the background.

As for the original question, I don't think I've ever had sardines.    

16 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I might have them one or two times a year..if that.

For a while, it was mainly a good "camping" food - ie easy to pack, good protein, tasty, and relatively simple to eat during a camping trip.

Now, with WFH, it has been a 2 times a week sort of thing.  It is quick and tasty, and since I can also toast a slice of cinnamon raisin bread, I find I go to it quite often.  Simply drain off the oil, stick fillets in a small bowl with S & P, mash all together, and top the toast with it.  Delicious.  Also, the pup likes to have a little sprinkled on her kibble (prior to S&P). 

20 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Came home from my AM shopping..and wondered about lunch. Remembered a can of Trader Joe's sardines in the cupboard ( not out of date :whistle:)...As a child, my grandfather made them for me..mashed with vinegar and on white bread..Today, I had them the same way on a small piece of Naan bread. I like them every once and awhile.

Never been a fan of sardines.  But I am a fan of grandparents' cooking.

A mention of dumplings on this site made me remember a neighbor lady we kid Baby Boomers all affectionately called "Grandma Westgate" and that she always invited me to eat at her house when she made "Mulligan Stew and Dumplings" that I loved.  I've looked up and compared a bunch of recipes and picked what looked most like what I remember.  I'll post it as soon as I finalize my research.