I don't like your tattoo's

Randomguy

So I typed this last night when I was watching NFL highlights, lots of over-busy tattoo's and bad artwork, despite these guys having all the money in the world to get the best tattoo people.  I suspect that a lot of these guys got them right before or while in college before they could afford decent work. 

I have a friend whose first tattoo's were really bad (poorly translated and executed) and didn't turn out how'd he'd wanted them to.  They became elements in his much better and improved tattoos, but he was fortunate in that the originals didn't cover large amounts of skin with overly dark and big designs.

I don't have any tattoos myself, but my ideas on this have evolved.  30 years ago, I thought all tattoos are stupid and looked terrible.  I still think they are a bad idea for a lot of people, but I have seen some good ones, and realize that some people just like the whole tapestry effect and it fits them.  I still think leg tattoos on chicks don't look good, but that is their decision.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

My grandfather had one. Hmmm, owl have to ask my mother if he was in the navy, I don’t think that subject ever came up!

Wait, I think what he had was an anchor, like Popeye. My mother said he was snot in any service so I have an inquiry in to my brother to see what he remembers aboot it. 

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

My grandfather had one. Hmmm, owl have to ask my mother if he was in the navy, I don’t think that subject ever came up!

My grandfather had the anchor tattoo from when in the navy, but no others that I remember.  At that time, I just associated tattoos with old dudes, which is probably why I find tattoos on chicks to be jarring if really big or ornate.  Double standard, I know, but that was my perception.  Lotsa chick in NYC have them, lots.

I was never a fan of tattoos, maybe it was just the way I was brought up, having the concept impressed on me that they represented the bottom of the barrel of culture.

When I was young, I used to eat at a restaurant owned by a girl with whom I had gone to elementary Catholic School and her mother.  They were wonderful people and frequently hired waitresses who had recently been young girls in drug, homeless, etc. trouble and they helped them get back on a path to a normal life.  One was very pretty and frequently came on to me - probably the only single guy she knew with a steady job.  But I was turned off, big time, by a large tattoo on her shoulder.

A few years later, I realized that was as stupid as my Catholic grandparents shunning a daughter because she married a Protestant - who was reliable, had a great job, and was much closer to meeting the requirements for Heaven than any of their sons!

So I decided to not hate tattoos, though I still see big ones as marring the body they're on.  Little ones around the ankle, etc. are cute.

• Heart 1

I worked with a very attractive woman and I don’t know why but the topic of tattoos came up during a meeting. She was asked if she had any and she replied: “You don’t put bumper stickers on a Bentley.”   Interesting take...

I was one of the few guys in my MP company without ink.  I really don’t have anything against it and even went to a parlor.  I just didn’t see anything I wanted on me for the rest of my life.

• Heart 4

16 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

So she had self-confidence. :D

Yeah she was my salesperson and she was good.  She now works for the company I contract services through now so we have kept in touch.  

She hated the Western Region VP as much as I did and left shortly after I did.

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I don't really care what anyone else does, although I generally don't think all-face tattoos are a good look.  :nodhead:  

I think most face tats start out with a tear drop next to your eye.

https://www.corrections1.com/prison-gangs/articles/15-prison-tattoos-and-their-meanings-pzgKItC7WYoa1wvk/

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Even David Clinger is getting his face tattoos removed, or at least he was at the time of this article.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/update-david-clingers-recovery-continues-as-his-tattoos-slowly-fade/

He has been busy:

Topsi News: David Arthur Clinger Arrest

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

David Arthur Clinger Arrest

David Arthur Clinger Arrest - Former professional bicycle racer David Clinger, known for the tribal tattoos across his face and scalp, was arrested early Monday after a Berks County bar fight and remained in the county prison Thursday, police said.

Clinger, 28, of Woodland Hills, Calif., was charged with harassment, disorderly conduct, defiant trespass and resisting arrest at the Toad Creek Bar in Topton. He went to prison under $5,000 bail.

Clinger, who recently competed at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, rode with Lance Armstrong on the professional U.S. Postal Service cycling team in 2002 and attracted media attention in 2004 for the facial tattoos.

According to the arrest affidavit, he had harassed bar patrons, refused to leave the bar and grabbed a woman by the waist, dragging her to the floor. When police arrived about 1 a.m. Clinger was struggling with patrons and screaming loudly; he fought with officers until he was taken into custody, the affidavit says.

A witness described Clinger as ''covered in tattoos,'' the affidavit said.

Clinger has been racing at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome in Trexlertown, said Velodrome CEO Erin Hartwell. He and a partner placed fifth in June 30's Madison Cup for tag-team racing, and Clinger was scheduled to compete in Tandemonium July 22 at the Velodrome, Hartwell said.

Clinger showed early promise as a strong uphill sprinter but hasn't really followed up on that in recent years, said Neal Rogers, a senior writer at competitive cycling magazine VeloNews.

Clinger won a stage of the Tour de Georgia in 2003 to place eighth overall. In 2000, he competed in the Vuelta a Espana, or the Tour of Spain, one of Europe's three Grand Tours along with the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia.

''To ride in one of the Grand Tours, you're definitely in the top of the sport, even to be on the start list,'' Rogers said.

But Clinger has yet to win any ''huge'' races and this year competed as part of an amateur and not a professional team, Rogers said. Most recent reports focused on Clinger's prominent tattoo. Modeled after the war markings of New Zealand's Maori warriors, it angered managers of Webcor, his team at the time. They ordered him to remove part of the tattoo for fear that it would upset sponsors.

In compliance, Clinger began removing the tattoos on the lower half of his face. His notoriety for those decorations may outshine any of his accomplishments on two wheels, Rogers said.

''He's not somebody that will go down in the annals of American cycling history, except for maybe that tattoo,'' Rogers said.

A man covered his face with tattoos and turned his eyes black. He says it cost him his kindergarten teaching job

Story by Reuters

Updated 11:57 AM ET, Mon September 28, 2020

Helaine says he loves being a primary school teacher.

Helaine says he loves being a primary school teacher.

A schoolteacher whose body, face and tongue are covered in tattoos and who has had the whites of his eyes surgically turned black said he was prevented from teaching at a French kindergarten after a parent complained he scared their child.

But the teacher, Sylvain Helaine, 35, still teaches children from the age of six up, and said that, after an initial shock when they see him for the first time, his pupils see past his appearance.
"All of my students and their parents were always cool with me because basically they knew me," said Helaine, who estimated he has spent around 460 hours under the tattooists' needle.
"It's only when people see me from far away that they can assume the worst."

He said last year he was teaching kindergarten at the Docteur Morere Elementary School in Palaiseau, a suburb of Paris, when the parents of a three-year-old child complained to educational authorities. They said their son, who was not taught by Helaine, had nightmares after seeing him.
A couple of months later the school authorities informed him he would no longer teach kindergarten children, he said. "I think the decision they took was quite sad," said Helaine.
A spokesman for the local education authority said an agreement was reached with Helaine to move him away from teaching kindergarten. Pupils under six "could be frightened by his appearance", the spokesman said.
Despite the setbacks, Helaine said he would stick with his chosen career. "I'm a primary school teacher ... I love my job."
He said he started getting tattoos at the age of 27 when, while teaching at a private school in London, he had an "existential crisis". Since then, he said, "Getting tattoos is my passion."
He said he hoped to show his pupils that they should accept people who are different from the norm. "Maybe when they are adults they will be less racist and less homophobic and more open-minded," he said.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Eww turning white of his eyes black by surgery???

Sorry. There are limits particularily for precious organs of body.  I guess doctors can't diagnose any condition where the eye is bloodshot, etc.

That guy certainly doesn't seem like he has an adequate level of awareness for his line of work.

• Heart 1