Mulligan Stew and Dumplings

MickinMD

Dirtyhip's mention of dumplings got me to thinking of a dumpling dish my childhood neighbor, "Grandma Westgate," use to make that I loved.  I'm going to make it soon, dumplings being rare for me, though I may make it with noodles afterward.

Of several recipes I checked out, I think this is close to what she made.  From another recipe, I found an easy dumpling recipe (Bisquick plus 1/3 as much milk, mixed and spooned into the boiling broth for 15 min).  I also listed the recipe for making Kluski, Polish Noodles, instead of dumplings, though my cousin Eleanor, great at Polish cooking, confirmed the recipe but says she now just buys a bag of egg noodles in the supermarket and it's just as good.

Of course, the portion sizes aren't written in stone and variations you prefer should work: some even use chicken or turkey and chicken stock/bouillon instead of beef with good reported success. I use "Better Than Bouillon" chicken or beef paste and love it instead of bouillon cubes - it lasts a year and a half in the fridge after opening the jar.

As a chemist used to syntheses not working if you don't follow the proportions exactly, I hate it when I see "3 potatoes" or "2 cups diced meat" that don't tell you how much you need in weight.  I looked them up and found the weight equivalents mentioned at the start of the recipe:

Mulligan Stew and Dumplings

http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=2204.0

Mick 9/25/20 (Note: “1 pound raw MEAT = 2 cups cooked, diced or ground” and “Medium potato: 2 to 3" in diameter, 5-8oz (140-225g), Large potato: 3 to 4.25" in diameter, 8-12oz (225-340g)”)

1/3 cup margarine or butter

1/3 cup all purpose flour

6 beef bouillon cubes (chicken cubes or equiv. If subbing chicken/turkey)

4 cups boiling water

2 cups [about 1 lb] diced cooked beef (can sub chicken or turkey)

4 medium onions, sliced

2 large carrots, diced

3 potatoes, diced

1/2 cup green beans

1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas

salt and pepper to taste

dash nutmeg

Melt margarine; stir in flour.  Dissolve beef cubes in boiling water.  Gradually stir into flour and margarine.  Cook until it starts to thicken.  Add beef, onions, carrots, potatoes, green beans.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add peas, dumplings and seasonings.  Simmer, covered, 15 minutes longer.  Serves 4-6.

DUMPLINGS (see Bisquick and Kluski alternatives below):

1 cup all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 Tbsp. margarine, butter or shortening

2/3 cup milk

Mix all ingredients and drop by spoonfuls into hot stew.

DUMPLINGS MADE WITH BISQUICK - Adapted from: https://www.cooks.com/recipe/zd32z3ul/mike-mulligan-stew-with-drop-dumplings.html

1.5 cup Bisquick

1/2 cup milk

In a medium bowl mix together the Bisquick and milk using a spoon. When the Mulligan Stew is starting to bubble drop the dumpling dough by the teaspoonfuls into the hot broth. NOTE: Before adding drop dumplings, if liquid is low from simmering add enough to cover ingredients plus 1 inch.

MOTHER'S HOMEMADE POLISH NOODLES

(KLUSKI)

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/mo0jx6a0/mothers-homemade-polish-noodles-kluski.html

3 c. flour

3 eggs

2 to 3 tbsp. water

1 tsp. salt

Sift flour onto a board. Make a well in center. Place eggs, water, and salt in well. Work ingredients into a dough and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Divide into 2 parts. Roll on floured board until very thin. Let dry about an hour.

• Heart 1