So, CA is gonna ban sale of patrol cars in 15 years

maddmaxx

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

You guys ever buy a retired patrol car?  Man we beat the hell out of our cars, I’d never buy one...

The young guy that bought the neighbor’s house loves buying used police cars at auction. He said most of them require a complete rebuild of the engine but he enjoys working on them. He has unskilled friends that are always asking him when a car is going to be ready because they want to buy it.  He has a black and white right now complete with all the lights etc. He says he will have to disable them before he starts driving it on the road. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You guys ever buy a retired patrol car?  Man we beat the hell out of our cars, I’d never buy one...

...no. But when I lived up in the foothills I was pretty close to buying a used fire engine. The running gear gets beat pretty good, but the pumps are usually still solid by the time they retire them. It wouildn't have had to go anywhere, just run the pump off the engine and tank for home fire protection. They usually carry a tank of 1000-1500 gallons minimum, and the onboard pump is probably the most powerful high pressure water pump most of us could afford to buy.  I even had an old quonset outbuilding to store it in, under cover.

Fortunately, we sold that house and moved into the burbs here.  No place to store a fire engine here.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...no. But when I lived up in the foothills I was pretty close to buying a used fire engine. The running gear gets beat pretty good, but the pumps are usually still solid by the time they retire them. It wouildn't have had to go anywhere, just run the pump off the engine and tank for home fire protection. They usually carry a tank of 1000-1500 gallons minimum, and the onboard pump is probably the most powerful high pressure water pump most of us could afford to buy.  I even had an old quonset outbuilding to store it in, under cover.

Fortunately, we sold that house and moved into the burbs here.  No place to store a fire engine here.

Sounds like a good purchase for Californians.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Oh, it would be so worth it just to watch the HOA have a fit. Point out that it is not the prohibited RV or work truck (you are not a fireman) parked in your yard. 

• Haha 1