So during these troubling times, how are you folks planning to handle the holidays?

Mr. Silly

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Buy a small turkey breast.

This. I bought a half turkey breast and two drumsticks. I’ll roast those and be able to make a gravy.  A small dish of mashed taters, sweet potato casserole, green beans, and pies. Apple, pecan, and pumpkin ( 7” each).

My daughter moved in with us.  That is troubling me.  I had a small Covid bubble, that now grew exponentially.  We still have friends over, but we sit in the greenhouse.  Last night was pretty cold.  She wants friends over, I say only 1 at a time, and everyone needs a mask when an outsider comes in the house.

As for the holidays... haven't seen others in my family in a year now, that's not going to change.

I'm going to Thanksgiving the day with my sister, BiL, nephew, and their next-door neighbor, all of whom had COVID last Spring and are not likely carriers now.

The COVID numbers in Maryland, even though 1/2 to 1/3 the national rates, are soaring to record numbers.  My sister was invited to the birthday party of a friend's little girl just across the Mason-Dixon Line in Pennsylvania.  There are no travel restrictions now by either state and my sister isn't going to attend the party, but she and my BiL drove there early today to deliver presents for the little girl because the border may be closed except for required quarantine any day now.

Today Maryland reported 2321 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, breaking the 5/19 record of 1784.  My county had a record 197 - before November 114 was the record. COVID acute and critical ospitalizations in the state are 921, the most since mid-June and up from 281 on 9/20, but still only about half the 1707 on May 6th.  Fortunately, the death rate and the ICU bed numbers in Maryland are still very low compared to last Spring but they are growing fast.

According to information culled from conversations with people I met in long store lines on Wednesday who worked for the State or know those who do, Maryland is soon going to increase restrictions.

The main family gathering is being held on the Eastern Shore where masks, etc. are often not taken seriously because it is full of small towns and low COVID-19 numbers due to much less contact than the Western Shore with the fools in D.C. and Baltimore which are hotbeds for spreading the virus.  I don't know who's going to be at the gathering - there are always friends of the host families two early-20's children - so I'm skipping it.  The hosts said they understand.

image.thumb.png.8afdd8c1c733e3382930c5a26c7924bf.png