The Running of the Retirees

Kirby

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I live on a cul de sac that has about 8 condo units in the cul de sac.  The mailboxes for all the units are at the entrance to the cul de sac.  Every day the mail gets delivered sometime between 2 and 3. As soon as the mail truck leaves, a number of the residents come racing out of their units to get their mail. One of them acts very casual and goes for her walk at that time, but she never starts her walk until after the mail arrives and she always stops at the mail box.  She can pretend she's just exercising, but I know shes part of the Running of the Retirees.

I've learned a lot since I started working from home.  :nodhead:  There's a light rain today.  I wonder if that will interfere with the Running. 

Do you switch to waterproof streamers when it rains or just run all weather streamers year round?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I live on a cul de sac that has about 8 condo units in the cul de sac.  The mailboxes for all the units are at the entrance to the cul de sac.  Every day the mail gets delivered sometime between 2 and 3. As soon as the mail truck leaves, a number of the residents come racing out of their units to get their mail. One of them acts very casual and goes for her walk at that time, but she never starts her walk until after the mail arrives and she always stops at the mail box.  She can pretend she's just exercising, but I know shes part of the Running of the Retirees.

I've learned a lot since I started working from home.  :nodhead:  There's a light rain today.  I wonder if that will interfere with the Running. 

I don't even check my mailbox daily and probably won't in future.  More like, 1-2 times/wk.  However with thefts occuring for outdoor group mailboxes, it can be a problem.  I'm not in that situation since it's all indoors.

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I like checking the mail.  It feels good to pay the bills promptly.  

I identify with this thread, but I am still working.  B)

When I was working at the office, I'd stop and get my mail each day on my way home.  But it wasn't until I was working from home that I saw how much of an anticipated activity it was each day.

I hate getting the mail but if I don’t get it at least every other day the box fills up. Yesterday’s mail probably took fifteen minutes to sort and pitch. Garbage from insurance, garbage from the horse spittle. The horsespittle only charged $220 for the cat scan that I paid a $275 copay for. Lots of crap asking me to vote for who I was already going to vote for. Junk from other Medicare companies trying to get me to switch. I wish snail mail had a junk mail folder.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I hate getting the mail but if I don’t get it at least every other day the box fills up. Yesterday’s mail probably took fifteen minutes to sort and pitch. Garbage from insurance, garbage from the horse spittle. The horsespittle only charged $220 for the cat scan that I paid a $275 copay for. Lots of crap asking me to vote for who I was already going to vote for. Junk from other Medicare companies trying to get me to switch. I wish snail mail had a junk mail folder.

I turn 65 in a few months and I have been getting totally bombarded with Medicare junk mail. :angry:

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Further said:

Me too. And calls. 

I'm going to work for at least another year, do I have to do anything ?

It is hard to sort the scams and the legit on the this one.

I have heard to sign up for part d anyhoo. I need to find oot. Thanks to longjohn I know to avoid anything named Advantage. Same for me, working at least another year so no need for Medicare yet. 

8 minutes ago, Further said:

Me too. And calls. 

What AARP has to say, but it may be worth checking with your HR department or other experts since I can't tel what the date is on the article

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/do-i-enroll-in-medicare-age-65-even-if-still-working/

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

What do you have?  A landline?  I still do and I need to convert to Comcast ip. I heard it is good at rejecting the spam. Can anyone verify that?  

I have both landline and comcast (xfinity mobile).  I get scam calls all day long on both.  They spoof the numbers and don't use the same number twice so marking the number as bad doesn't help.  The power company refund one pisses me off because they are going to get a lot of elderly with that one because it's still front page news here with lawsuits and everything since the last hurricane.

There's nobody filtering spam calls here anymore.  With spoofing, the do not call list is a joke.

7 minutes ago, Further said:

Me too. And calls. 

As long as you have medical insurance through work you don’t have to do anything. When your work insurance is going to run out you need to sign up. You can go ahead and get your part A at sixty five as secondary insurance. That is the insurance you have been paying for all your life deducted from your pay check. You already paid for that so there is no additional charge. Part B you need to sign up for as soon as you retire and I would recommend part G and D. G covers everything that A and B doesn’t except prescriptions. That’s where Part D comes in, that is your drug coverage and all different plans available at all different prices. My crappy Medicare disadvantage charges me $250 for emergency room even when I’m just passing through on the way to be admitted. I have to pay $275 for CT scans and MRIs. My wife pays O for any of that. I signed her up for part F (no longer available).

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

As long as you have medical insurance through work you don’t have to do anything. When your work insurance is going to run out you need to sign up. You can go ahead and get your part A at sixty five as secondary insurance. That is the insurance you have been paying for all your life deducted from your pay check. You already paid for that so there is no additional charge. Part B you need to sign up for as soon as you retire and I would recommend part G and D. G covers everything that A and B doesn’t except prescriptions. That’s where Part D comes in, that is your drug coverage and all different plans available at all different prices. My crappy Medicare disadvantage charges me $250 for emergency room even when I’m just passing through on the way to be admitted. I have to pay $275 for CT scans and MRIs. My wife pays O for any of that. I signed her up for part F (no longer available).

It should not be so complicated.  This system is sad, depressing and almost criminal.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

It should not be so complicated.  This system is sad, depressing and almost criminal.

That’s so the scammers (insurance agents) can snooker you into Medicare advantage plans that are a big rip off. If you have a pre-existing condition such as cancer or MS. You by law can choose any insurance you want when you retire after age 65. If they sucker you into an advantage plan you are stuck with it because the Medicare supplements won’t take you with pre-existing conditions after you have been retired for a year. 

17 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s so the scammers (insurance agents) can snooker you into Medicare advantage plans that are a big rip off. If you have a pre-existing condition such as cancer or MS. You by law can choose any insurance you want when you retire after age 65. If they sucker you into an advantage plan you are stuck with it because the Medicare supplements won’t take you with pre-existing conditions after you have been retired for a year. 

I think NY is one of the few states that doesn't allow insurance companies to charge more for health or age in medigap insurance.

13 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Nice photo @shootingstar

I have not seen him in person since that photo..that's just after his heart stent surgery this past Easter time.

Covid restrictions on travel...is a challenge.  Those love stories you read about couples hugging across the U.S.-Canada border.... I think I know something...well, for past few years.  

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1