Yikes! "⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ Dygert Crash Update With Images" Wasn't A Lie or Overstatement!

Razors Edge

Just now, ChrisL said:

Severed quad muscle from what I read.  I saw the video of her going over the rail but none of the injury.  Gruesome... 

Hope she makes a full recovery.

Yeah - I assume surgeons are pretty awesome these days as guys like Froome or Phinney or van Aert or other scary crash survivors have returned, but it is the psychological part that likely is toughest.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Well, you posted it as if you were including it, otherwise wth is the warning all about?

I put that in quotes because it was a quote I was referring to! 

"⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ Dygert Crash Update With Images"  <- not the thread title.

Yikes! "⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ Dygert Crash Update With Images" Wasn't A Lie or Overstatement!   <- thread title.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I put that in quotes because it was a quote I was referring to! 

"⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ Dygert Crash Update With Images"  <- not the thread title.

Yikes! "⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ Dygert Crash Update With Images" Wasn't A Lie or Overstatement!   <- thread title.

WRONG!  This is a horrible click-bait thread title, off with your head!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the video.  I'm not looking for any more photos.   

A guard rail is sooth on the road side of the guard rail.  The back side of a guard rail.... lots of steel with edges and corners that wound rip thru flesh like butter.   :(

(My old home along the road had a guard rail>  I'd mow the grass on both sides along the guard rail with my push mower.)

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I assume surgeons are pretty awesome these days as guys like Froome or Phinney or van Aert or other scary crash survivors have returned, but it is the psychological part that likely is toughest.

I had Achilles Tendon and Rotator Cuff surgeries in the 2000's with tiny incisions that were same-day surgeries and where physical activity with the joints involved was mandatory one day after the operations, whereas friends who had the same surgeries in the 1970's who had long stitched scars, etc. took much longer to heal and the joint was never as good as before the injury.

But in my shoulder surgeries, each shoulder was improved by reshaping bones and changing tendon connections so that the shoulder was stronger, streamlined, and very less likely to have strains and tears in the future.

Hopefully, they can made the girl's quad (pic looks like blood is coming from the calf and or hamstrings) better than ever.  Fortunately, there are so many muscles running vertically on both the front (quad) and back (hamstrings) of the upper leg, that some should be able to provide support while the damaged ones are healing.  Much of my shoulders' physical therapies involved strengthening the non-damaged muscles to take the strain of the repaired muscle/tendon so it could restore itself faster.

38 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...to me it looked like she hit a small dip in the pavement at speed, or got just a tad loose. Then the bike went into a high speed oscillation...which happens sometimes at just the right speed on certain bikes, for reasons that are somewhat mysterious. 

Yeah I watched the crash a couple of times and was unsure if it was a flat or something else. I got the impression she was trying to recover while maintaining speed.  I think if she flatted it would be all about stopping under control and changing bikes. TT bikes can be difficult to control, many world tour riders have gone down on them too.

Interesting to know if they post an update on what happened.

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting to know if they post an update on what happened.

I haven't chased an update down on the cause of the crash, but on today's Fleche Wallone coverage, he said she has been tweeting about the crash, is already up & taking steps, is complaining about the lack of "aerodynamics on her various braces & bandages, and on her way back to the US very soon.

• Heart 2