RIP Helen Reddy

petitepedal

41 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

:(

Her song was so iconic. I wonder how young women 2 generations younger than us, think now.  I'm so glad RBG gave it all her stance.....she was an excellent role model. I know my niece will tweet out the deaths of feminists....of our generation.  But then she went through engineering... every female who I know who is an engineer.. is changed after graduation.

In that video, Reddy looks good in a 1970's way. 

It feels so wierd when some real social cultural icons have passed away... :unhappy:

Just wait until Joni Mitchell, Buffy St. Marie ...and there's Gloria Steinhem (of course, not a singer) who is in her 80's.

"You and Me Against the World"....  I haven't heard that song for decades...another of her hits.

Yesterday, an 81 yr. woman (a former cyclist) said she cranked up "I am Woman" in the car...when she in the process of divorcing her husband.  Her son was around 7 yrs. old. 

A quote:  "Many people don't realize it but Helen Reddy and her song "I am Woman" were an integral part of the women's movement and helped push forward the ERA. It wasn't just a song but an anthem."

I remember  "I am Woman" as a teenager.