There is no joy in 90/10 ground beef, none at all

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by MickinMD,

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Who buys this shit?

I bought it because this is what they had left, but yechh!

So, what's the right formula? 50/30/20?  I doubt I want 20% "other" in my burger, at least, not knowingly, but really, is 10 too little for a little guy like you? Trying to bulk up a bit?

• Envious 1

11 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Cook it in a few tablespoons of bacon fat silly. NYC is making you soft in the head.

Funny you should say that, because that is exactly what I did!  I did make it in burger format, of course.   90/10 is garbage meat, garbage texture.  Simply horrible.

On top of it, I had tough lettuce, too.  What a piss-poor meal.  The mayonnaise and the pickle chunks tasted good, and were really the only reason it was even edible.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, what's the right formula? 50/30/20?  I doubt I want 20% "other" in my burger, at least, not knowingly, but really, is 10 too little for a little guy like you? Trying to bulk up a bit?

I WANT to Nominate this but I am SAVING that honor for @Kzoo

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Funny you should say that, because that is exactly what I did!  I did make it in burger format, of course.   90/10 is garbage meat, garbage texture.  Simply horrible.

On top of it, I had tough lettuce, too.  What a piss-poor meal.  The mayonnaise and the pickle chunks tasted good, and were really the only reason it was even edible.

Then leave yourself a bad review on Yelp. “One star-I’d rate lower but it’s not possible. Terrible burger, even the lettuce was tough. No beer, just Zima. no ambiance and rude staff. “

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Normally, 80/20 is good, 85/15 in a pinch.  All you Nancy-boys out there who get the leanest beef they can find simply don't deserve a good burger, and I spit on your grave (preemptively)!

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Then leave yourself a bad review on Yelp. “One star-I’d rate lower but it’s not possible. Terrible burger, even the lettuce was tough. No beer, just Zima. no ambiance and rude staff. “

It was like going to a horrible restaurant and realizing you are never coming back.  I left myself no tip, either.  :angry:

2 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

That’s sticking to yourself! Keep up the good work. Don’t accept mediocrity anywhere 

I felt bad about not leaving a tip, but I had to deliver my order to the kitchen myself, then bring the meal to my table, and my damn waiter wasn't wearing a mask!  I am gonna have to report this to the health department.

39 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I felt bad about not leaving a tip, but I had to deliver my order to the kitchen myself, then bring the meal to my table, and my damn waiter wasn't wearing a mask!  I am gonna have to report this to the health department.

The 50/30/20 blend includes the tip!  Probably quite a few tips - especially if a new guy is working the grinder.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Normally, 80/20 is good, 85/15 in a pinch.  All you Nancy-boys out there who get the leanest beef they can find simply don't deserve a good burger, and I spit on your grave (preemptively)!

I buy grass fed 85/15 for burgers, but 90/10 or 93/7 for making meat sauce for pasta, tacos, or chili. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• Solution

I agree.  When Christopher Kimball was running America's Test Kitchen, he pointed out over and over that there was much more taste in 80:20 ground beef that you lost when you hit 90%.

I had to add a significant amount of oil to the pan to fry 90%+ ground beef and eventually figured I might as well let 80% fry mostly in its own tasty fat.

• Heart 1