You guys sound dumb when you try and talk like you know shit about NYC

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

I don't know much about NYC.  I visit there a couple times a decade, but my NJ cousin drives or chooses the transportation and we go directly to whatever event and I have no understanding of the geographic layout.  I do know that a great but mean-as-a-Nazi soup maker left NYC because a woman named Elaine found his recipes.

Back in 1996, we flew from JFK in NYC to Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, our plane taking off 15 min. in front of TWA FLight 800, which also took off from JFK, and then blew up behind us over the Atlantic.

We passengers had no clue anything had happened.  We landed in Amsterdam and thought the thoroughness of the carry-on checking was strange as we made our connecting flight to Athens, Greece.  When we got to Greece, the 20 or so of us on the plane that were going on the same Athens/Aegean Cruise/Istanbul 2-week tour were sent to a meeting room at our hotel and only then were we told about TWA Flight 800.

Two weeks later, when our plane landed in America, the applause by the passengers was tremendous.  My companion was gripping the arms of her seat so hard her knuckles were bright white most of the two-plane-trips back home.  We had tried to get American news but the Olympics in Atlanta were going on and we could get few details. so we had no clue as to how worried we should be flying home.

I spent part of one day in the city.  I saw the World Trade Center.  A guy tried to sell me a Rolex out of a suitcase.  A guy in really dirty clothes washed my windshield.  That is not a euphemism.   We ate at McDonalds of all places.  We drove by an aircraft carrier.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

A guy tried to sell me a Rolex out of a suitcase. 

I bought a Rolex out of a suitcase (sort of spread out with several options), so that's sort of a NYC thing! $20 for two back 30 yrs ago or so.  It actually kept accurate time - but I don't think I ever could have gotten to the battery.

17 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Better than Central Park: Olmsted and Vaux’s Brooklyn Masterpiece

I believe it to be better for the lack of tourists.  It may be a bit nicer in certain ways, too, but not cycling.  3 mile loops in Prospect Park and you want to blow your head off after a little while.  Not that you don't in CP from the dumb tourists and idiots, but the loop is 6 miles, so the experience doesn't feel as constrained.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I know everything I want to know about New York City.

RG gave you his address?  And the door code?  Without the door code, you ain't getting in.  His door man is generally asleep in the mail room most of the day, and few visitors get in.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

Really!??

I stayed here a couple weeks.

https://www.loewshotels.com/regency-hotel

Really, except that was so long ago that the CVS wasn't across the street yet.  :nodhead:

That hotel has a great central location for exploring the city!