You Know What I Picked Up Yesterday?

Nate

another guitar! :D

This time I picked up a Squire strat copy just like this one here

_c456057_image_0.jpg

Maple neck, tobacco sunburst, whammy bar...they're practically giving these things away

I have a couple buddies that have been wanting to jam. They're twin brothers, one plays bass, the other plays drums. They're one of the best rhythm sections around. I've known them for years and we played together a lot about 10 years ago, so its going to be fun

Over the weekend I dug my solidbody electric out of the closet. Its a Parker. Nice axe, but it has active pickups and I just didn't like the sound I was getting out of it, so I thought I'd pick up one of these

I have a fretless Fender PBass in the same color scheme. The two look pretty good together

But its been 10 years since I played electric guitar with a bass and drums

I got a Marshall amp, a Fender Reverb amp, a Crybaby Wah-wah I've had since the mid 70s (they re-issued these, but the new ones don't hold a candle to this old thing) so I still have to settle on what rig I want to use

It was fun just playing last night. Tonight I'm going to plug it into the Marshall and try and break some windows

• Heart 2

This is like the 3rd one I've owned over the years

the thing about a solid body guitar is that you don't need to spend $2,000 to get one that will play

all they are is a block of wood that's routed out to hold the electronics. You can always upgrade the pickups and slam a Floyd Rose tremolo block in the thing

With electric guitar, the money needs to go for the amp is what I say

I could plug a canoe paddle with strings into my Marshall and it will sound awesome

all they are is a block of wood that's routed out to hold the electronics. You can always upgrade the pickups

agreed.  I have a Chinese-made Epiphone Les Paul - good setup and holds a tune well; I replaced all the electronics and pickups and the difference is astounding (57 Classic in the neck, and a Duncan JB in the bridge).  I'm in for a total of ~$600 and I'd put it up against a Gibson any day.

Is this the Korean made one?  I can't remember anymore but, do they even make them in the states now?

Couch

pretty much has to be for the price. I don't think Fender has been made in the States for a long time now. I think it was even in the 1980s that they were bought out

The American made Fenders are called "pre-CBS" or something like that.

I'm a player, not a collector, so I could be wrong

agreed.  I have a Chinese-made Epiphone Les Paul - good setup and holds a tune well; I replaced all the electronics and pickups and the difference is astounding (57 Classic in the neck, and a Duncan JB in the bridge).  I'm in for a total of ~$600 and I'd put it up against a Gibson any day.

I looked at those, too. The Epiphone Les Pauls are good guitars.

I also tried out several different Squires. Pretty much every axe at Guitar Center under 200 bones I took a ride on

This one felt better than the rest. Even the other 2 Squires of the exact same model

When you buy a newly manufactured axe, always try out as many as you can and pick the one that feels best if its electric, and sounds loudest if its acoustic

vintage axes, you only need to play the one you want and make sure it doesn't have any bad spots on the neck. If an instrument lasted for 30 years with a strait neck, it had to be well made no matter what the brand is

I wanna see that canoe paddle thingamajig! :D

we used to make these things called "slide guitars" back in Texas. You take a 2x4 and some old guitar parts to get tuners, the bridge and a pickup, and put it all together and play it with a slide.

Since you have a pickup and can plug in, you don't need any more guitar body than the 2x4. You put in on your lap and play it with a slide

a Lone Star Longneck makes a perfect slide, too ;)

Find me a good, used, affordable Richen 12 stringer.

those might be hard to find on the cheap

when you go after a cheap guitar, you have to take on off brand. The trick is knowing what you are looking at.

You know that any Gibson guitar is going to be a quality instrument, but that beater over there might be a gem or it might be junk

I am pretty sure that Nate has some hippy sap flowing through his branches.  He sure likes guitars and rock and roll music and nature and such. 

this is really going back to my roots. I started playing blues, and this takes me back to playing blues.

when you play rock with blues ideas and throw in a wah-wah pedal and a whammy bar...that's how Jimmy Hendrix played

I heard a cut with Jimmy playing with Little Richard in 1959 and even without the effects, you could hear him playing the same style he played at Woodstock

I am pretty sure that Nate has some hippy sap flowing through his branches.  He sure likes guitars and rock and roll music and nature and such. 

He hates himself, no doubt.

Loves nature, plays guitar, and I am willing to bet we could find granola in his pantry.

• Heart 2

He hates himself, no doubt.

Loves nature, plays guitar, and I am willing to bet we could find granola in his pantry.

hell, I got a granola bar in my lunch

Sure, I play guitar, but I put a lot into it. Hippies don't play Bach suites. I play 3 of them

Hippies can't make the changes on Giant Steps, either, but I'm played that tune for 35 years

I don't know a single Grateful Dead tune, but I do know some of the tunes that they covered 

Not that there's anything wrong with the Dead, they just didn't come to Texas too often, if you recall

hey, I'll let you in on a secret...

in 2008 I voted Obama. It was the first time in my life the president I voted for won

but I feel like I bought a car stereo from Obama in a parking lot and when I got it home and opened the box, it was just a brick 

• Heart 1

those might be hard to find on the cheap

when you go after a cheap guitar, you have to take on off brand. The trick is knowing what you are looking at.

You know that any Gibson guitar is going to be a quality instrument, but that beater over there might be a gem or it might be junk

My regular strat knock-off is a late 80's Dixon.....is that cheap enough for you?

hey, I'll let you in on a secret...

in 2008 I voted Obama. It was the first time in my life the president I voted for won

but I feel like I bought a car stereo from Obama in a parking lot and when I got it home and opened the box, it was just a brick 

You are dead to me.

• Heart 1

Owned a squire strat.  It was the pro-tone edition.  I agree 100% about the electronics being key.  I had the pickups replaced with EMG's.  It had the locking nut and bridge like a floyd rose system.  That was one sweet playing rig.  Sounded great.  Sold it a few years back, it just never got used and sat in the case in the closet.

Owned a squire strat.  It was the pro-tone edition.  I agree 100% about the electronics being key.  I had the pickups replaced with EMG's.  It had the locking nut and bridge like a floyd rose system.  That was one sweet playing rig.  Sounded great.  Sold it a few years back, it just never got used and sat in the case in the closet.

this is how to buy a Squire ^^^

mine were always back up guitars, in case I had a problem with a jack, or broke a string, or something like that

Here's my Strat.  Its a real Fender but the description of your Squire matches mine to a tea.  

nice one, Mr Silly

that looks like the one they copied for me :)

I love the way the maple necks look on the ones like yours though

thats' a nice quiver, Bob

its good to have a strat pick up arrangement and a double humbucker rig.

That right there covers a lot of ground, but with a tele, too, you're ready for a lot of different kinds of action

thanks - I have a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge.  Not convinced I will stick with the JB but that Gibby pickup sounds amazing.

The classic Gibson pickups sound nice, smooth and full...

I'm running the GFS Crunchy Pats on my LP clone. Nice, clean sound at any volume; never get muddy no matter how much power you push through them. B)