I'm printing out routes...how do I skip Chicago ?

petitepedal

don't go near Chicago if you aren't going to Chicago

its longer in miles but shorter on the watch and there's less chance of fucking up and ending up on the wrong freeway

going to Chicago is worth doing, though, don't get me wrong. The Field Museum and the Aquarium are worth the price of admission. And don't forget to take a selfie in front of Wriggly Field, then go get a dog someplace near the stadium.

Are you sure???  :D    Chicago would also be an AM hit on the way out...I can plan the way back so I am on the west side or at least if I am driving thru...it is on a Saturday...but the trip out is a friday!!

Weekdays are the worst to drive in the city. Any morning during the week from 5 am to 10 am is a sure backup. between 11 and noon is bad, and is anytime from 3:00 pm to 8 pm. 

If you were going to hit the city then I would say to drive through at the hours of 9pm and 3 am. 

Are you sure???  :D    Chicago would also be an AM hit on the way out...I can plan the way back so I am on the west side or at least if I am driving thru...it is on a Saturday...but the trip out is a friday!!

What do you mean am I sure???????  

Google maps has you going across Indiana in route 30 which I know nothing about.  It's shorter that I80 to I69 but I know nothing about route 30 and haw slow it might be.  Here is what the map looks like if you cut down I39 at Rockford/Belvedere.

Slide1_zps8ba191e8.jpg

When do you expect to land in NP?  I want to try to take some time off.

Just realised, I may have a huge spanner in the works :o My son is staying with me because he had to move out of the house he was sharing with his dad (ex moved to CA), kinda long story.  He has been looking for a place for a while and everything seems to fall through, so I have him and his dog in my little 1 br apt!  I truly hope for everyone's sake he has found a place by the time you are scheduled to get here.

KZoo's route is as good as any. Its the way I would go if I wanted to take the interstates. However, if your leaving from my house, (and you're not in a hurry), I might suggest rt 47 south to rt 52 east until it runs into rt 30. If you can, try to avoid the tollway$. The tolls are double the price if you dont have an I Pass.