Quote of the Day: William Lloyd Garrison

Inspiration Bot

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

No. 
There we go, @maddmaxx. Getting all political with it, 

Garrison was an abolitionist who published an anti-slavery newspaper. Knowing what he gave his life’s purpose to, this quote is a BLM banner. 

Frankly I wasn't commenting on the man, but rather the quote.  Laws and opinions vary with location and era all the time.  People disagree on what right and wrong are all the time. History is a living proof of that.  This involves a discussion of "absolute rights" vs "relative rights" and would devolve pretty quickly into a religious or political discussion.  Does that help your understanding of my answer?

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This involves a discussion of "absolute rights" vs "relative rights" and would devolve pretty quickly into a religious or political discussion.

I wouldn’t say “devolve”. :hapydance: When we “set your mind on things above,” there is joy in the discourse. 
But, I get it that here in the Cafe we check philosophy at the door. Except if you’re Inspiration Bot, in which case you get to espouse all sorts of unsubstantiated claims without the pleasure of debate. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I wouldn’t say “devolve”. :hapydance: When we “set your mind on things above,” there is joy in the discourse. 
But, I get it that here in the Cafe we check philosophy at the door. Except if you’re Inspiration Bot, in which case you get to espouse all sorts of unsubstantiated claims without the pleasure of debate. 

yoda.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

I believe there are absolute rights and absolute wrongs. To answer the question based on those, then no. 

But I concede that there are social rights and wrongs based on cultures, eras and societies that change over time.

I think the problem for most is differentiating the two. 

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I believe there are absolute rights and absolute wrongs. To answer the question based on those, then no. 

But I concede that there are social rights and wrongs based on cultures, eras and societies that change over time.

I think the problem for most is differentiating the two. 

Why do you believe in absolute rights?  They appear to be an imaginary subject that have never actually existed in the real world outside of philosophical discussions.

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Why do you believe in absolute rights?  They appear to be an imaginary subject that have never actually existed in the real world outside of philosophical discussions.

To keep the conversation out of the P&R realm, it’s difficult to answer that question.  But I disagree, they have, and do, exist in the real world. 

• Awesome 1