So I bought a generator

Parr8hed

I got one a few years ago when we lost power and I came home to a foot of water in our basement.  I've only used it a few times since, but I am very happy to have it.

I have a "funny" plug I use to rig up our heat. 

Tell me about the "funny" plug.  I have many curiosities about how to power my furnace with it.

The last time we lost power for a week or so it was in the middle of a brutal cold snap.  Temps in the teens and I would have loved to have the generator hooked to the furnace to keep the chill out of the house.

I cut the plug off the end of a motor (or something I wasn't using).  There is a switch on the furnace.  I open that switch and wire the plug into it.  I then plug that into the generator.

Not sure how big ours is, but probably like yours.  One time when we lost power I wired our fridge, TV and surround sound, internet, router, two desktop PCs, microwave, miscellaneous lights, our neighbor to the lefts fridge and misc lights, our neighbor to the rights fridge and misc lights. 

Generators are awesome.

• Heart 1

I cut the plug off the end of a motor (or something I wasn't using).  There is a switch on the furnace.  I open that switch and wire the plug into it.  I then plug that into the generator.

Not sure how big ours is, but probably like yours.  One time when we lost power I wired our fridge, TV and surround sound, internet, router, two desktop PCs, microwave, miscellaneous lights, our neighbor to the lefts fridge and misc lights, our neighbor to the rights fridge and misc lights. 

Generators are awesome.

Cool.  My BIL is an HVAC guy.  He put our system in.  I will see if he will help me rig something up.

I want the power to go out now!

• Heart 1

Cool.  My BIL is an HVAC guy.  He put our system in.  I will see if he will help me rig something up.

I want the power to go out now!

It will never go out now as long as you have a functioning generator.  OTH, as soon as your generator reaches the point that it won't start or has been damaged due to bad stale gas, then the power will go out.

When I had one, I had it all rigged up to go, special cable, special input jack to my CB box.  Just don't forget to shut off all input power to your house (input main breaker) before you start applying generator power to your house circuits.  Unless, of course, you just plan to hook it up to a few separate items.

Yeah, maybe.  I will consider what you mentioned.

It needs to be uber portable.  I would like something very small in size, but large in caliber.

It will never go out now as long as you have a functioning generator.  OTH, as soon as your generator reaches the point that it won't start or has been damaged due to bad stale gas, then the power will go out.

When I had one, I had it all rigged up to go, special cable, special input jack to my CB box.  Just don't forget to shut off all input power to your house (input main breaker) before you start applying generator power to your house circuits.  Unless, of course, you just plan to hook it up to a few separate items.

You would think so, but it snowed like a bitch last winter right after I bought a snowblower.

But I think I know why - I got a great deal on it.  If I had paid a fortune, there would have been no snow. :(

• Heart 1

Awesome Gen P8!

DH:

Don't listen to Krazy, yet. Buy a semi once you've learned proper shooting techniques with the snubbie. If you can't kill 'em in six ya should have been running!

I always started my customers on revolvers as a first carry firearm. Easy to use, easy maintenance, dummy proof (dud bullet? misfire? pull the f'ing trigger again!) and a perfect firearm to practice line of sight shooting.

Once your happy with that then buy the semi with all the high capacity mags you want. Heck buy three or four! Support your local gun shop!

This may be of interest to you:

newCoverPic101613A.jpg

a simple device that allows you to close the main breaker connection to power company or close a panel breaker to connect to the generator - but not both.  Once installed it lets you connect anything in your panel to the generator.  In the picture above the panel is connected to the utility through the main breaker (200); note the generator breaker (30) is forced open by the metal tab.  Turn off the main breaker, push the plate up, and close the generator breaker, and the metal plate now prevents closure of the main breaker.

Of course, your generator may not have the capacity to run everything connected to your panel.  So you just turn off some of breakers to keep from overloading the generator and/or popping the breakers the generator feeds through.

If your house heating system has electric heat or backup electric heat (i.e. an air-source heat pump system) your generator won't be big enough to supply that. You might be able to run the generator for the heating system if you set the temperature very low (45F) to keep the full bank of electric heaters from connecting.  Depends on the construction of your system and how it's controlled.  If you have propane or natural gas backup heat, no worries.

newCoverPic101613A.jpg

a simple device that allows you to close the main breaker connection to power company or close a panel breaker to connect to the generator - but not both.  Once installed it lets you connect anything in your panel to the generator.  In the picture above the panel is connected to the utility through the main breaker (200); note the generator breaker (30) is forced open by the metal tab.  Turn off the main breaker, push the plate up, and close the generator breaker, and the metal plate now prevents closure of the main breaker.

Of course, your generator may not have the capacity to run everything connected to your panel.  So you just turn off some of breakers to keep from overloading the generator and/or popping the breakers the generator feeds through.

If your house heating system has electric heat or backup electric heat (i.e. an air-source heat pump system) your generator won't be big enough to supply that. You might be able to run the generator for the heating system if you set the temperature very low (45F) to keep the full bank of electric heaters from connecting.  Depends on the construction of your system and how it's controlled.  If you have propane or natural gas backup heat, no worries.

According to code, one of those are required and in many states it's illegal to operate it without a lockout switch.  I have a spare 60 amp circuit from an unused hot tub. - 3 wire with ground.  I moved one of the hot wires to another unused breaker so that I can power both sides of the panel and I have a 30 amp cable between the generator and the box outside.  I don't have a lockout switch but don't tell anyone.  All I have to do is switch the main and plug the generator in and start it up.

Oh, and P8 if your HVAC guy is a licensed electrician, it is probably illegal for him to install it for you without the lockout switch.  Power company lineman really, really, really hate generators.  It's kind of a life and death thing for them when you're feeding juice down a line they have disconnected from the source.

newCoverPic101613A.jpg

I bought a heavy-duty extension cord. :)

• Heart 1

In regards to load capacity, you only need one shot.

I actually have other guns.  Not a noob in regards to firearms.  

I just have always liked the lady smith revolvers.  They are so cute and compact.  My aunt had one that I liked to shoot.

Then buy that lady Smith! Damn fine firearm.

Hip we got the wife a little taurus 380 auto.  It's a single stack, compact frame.  I had it duracoated pink.  It's cute.  I like slipping it into my jersey pocket if I am riding in certain areas.  Also very nice to fit into a cargo pocket of shorts.

Hip we got the wife a little taurus 380 auto.  It's a single stack, compact frame.  I had it duracoated pink.  It's cute.  I like slipping it into my jersey pocket if I am riding in certain areas.  Also very nice to fit into a cargo pocket of shorts.

PINK!!!  I love this.  HAHA

Seriously, I like pink.  It's the new black.  :nod head:

PINK!!!  I love this.  HAHA

Seriously, I like pink.  It's the new black.  :nod head:

She likes it. I spent a lot of time with her learning how to load/unload switch mags, etc.  She might not be the most accurate shot out there, but she is safe. And I feel better with her in her job traveling to people's houses and what not.  I would like to see some G's get freaked out by her and her pink gun!