I rode wearing a mask this afternoon

JerrySTL

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

I came within 3 feet of hitting a deer that came running out of the woods, but I don't think the mask had anything to do with that.

Remember, you wear the mask to protect the deer, not yourself (although it will offer some level of protection for you).

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I used to think every time I had a close call with a deer that it will always be a close call. I learned different.

I had a close call with a deer but it was close as "inside my windshield but not quite hitting my face close".  Some close calls are closer than others.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I had a close call with a deer but it was close as "inside my windshield but not quite hitting my face close".  Some close calls are closer than others.

I thought I was going to have one through my windshield one time. I braced for it but the windshield held and the deer ended up on the roof of my car. I could hear it thrashing around up there. I pulled over and put on my flashers but by the time I got out of the car the deer was gone. Deers are evil.

11 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Rather due to the large number of gnats and dust from farmers harvesting their crops.

So, pre-COVID, did you just eat the bugs and dirt?

Definitely gnat season again.  Really, it almost always seems to be gnat season, but I have been able to skip my post-ride protein bar lately :happyanim:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, pre-COVID, did you just eat the bugs and dirt?

Yes. Until seeing other riders wearing masks, it never occurred to me that wearing a mask could be an option. I sometime did wear a mask while running years ago in freezing weather to keep my face warmer.

18 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Yes. Until seeing other riders wearing masks, it never occurred to me that wearing a mask could be an option. I sometime did wear a mask while running years ago in freezing weather to keep my face warmer.

I have the neck buff I pull up over my mouth and nose on super cold days, so that would work to keep bugs out, but I never thought of that either.

I'm definitely a mouth breather - especially during exercise - so I find gnats to be particularly bothersome but am used to them by now.

Here's my early "buff" plus filter set-up from back in March. 

IMG_8594.thumb.jpg.946ae6b893c5eedeab99f15dbd379724.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I’m not ready for winter, but we need a hard freeze for a night or 2 to kill off the gnats and pirate bugs. 

Ive had close calls with deer on the bike and in the car. Pretty sure I brushed the tail of one with my pickup once. A few years back, I had a regularly scheduled call a couple times a week at a client about 30 miles away. It was always my first call of the day. One morning it was snow sleet and wind. I had called and the client was open. The roads weren’t bad at first but got progressively more slick as I got closer. I saw a deer running across a field and I slowed because I could see we were on an intercept path. I kept braking as best I could on the icy road, but it was obvious we were going to hit! I was bracing for impact when a large SUV came from the opposite direction over the hill and took out the deer! He didn’t even slow down to look and just kept driving down the road...

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I thought I was going to have one through my windshield one time. I braced for it but the windshield held and the deer ended up on the roof of my car. I could hear it thrashing around up there. I pulled over and put on my flashers but by the time I got out of the car the deer was gone. Deers are evil.

Mine started to come through the windshield but his head/rack hit the roof edge of the opening and the A pillar caught his shoulder and spun him back out and down the side of the car, wiping out both doors and a tail light on the way.  The roof had about a 6" v notch in it and the windshield was left laying on my hands on the steering wheel.  For some reason the insurance company would not total the car (Ford Tempo (should be totaled if scratched)) and paid over 5 grand to have it repaired.  It was never right again as every now and then a piece of glass would fly out of a defroster vent.  All the plastic interior work around the dash had stress marks around the screws.

One stinking little 250 lb deer.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

And squirrels are squirrely. And groundhogs are insane!  Rabbits too. 

On the same ride I had a groundhog run right in front of me. A number of years ago I had one dart out from a ditch while a car was passing me. I attempted to bunny hop over the critter but my rear wheel slammed down on it. Killed it.

I'll also add wild turkeys to the list. We have a lot of them around here and I've had a few 'fly' in front of me.