Bike store 70% cleaned out

shootingstar

Today I walked into a favourite large bike store for lst time since 12 months ago. Really.  

Amazingly thin on nearly everything.  Shelves were 70% bare.  This is one of 2 largest bike stores in a city of 1.3+ million folks. Only 10 panniers left.  I couldn't see any mountain biking shoes (not for clipless pedals).  Thankfully I snapped up a pr. of Specialized mountain biking shorts..I needed a pair with thinner material so I wouldn't bake too fast in our fall/spring temperatures that rise from 3 degrees C  to 20 degrees C in 1 day....happens often in our region all the time. Shorts were 60% off.

LBS Staff said they had an insanely busy sales yr., the whole cycling season from spring to fall.  Now, he said people were making deposits just to reserve /ensure a bike for themselves.  They predict they will be building alot of bikes this winter...if the store gets all their orders filled by the manufacturers.

In our city there are approx. 10 other bike stores. I live near 3 other different bike stores (which includes 1 outdoor sporting good store with a medium sized bike dept.).  There is only 1 other large bike store about 15 km. away, which I don't like as much as the one I visited today.

Was it like this for your LBS's in your region this yr.?

Yeah I’m pretty sure this has come up here previously.  Bike sales went banana’s during covid.

I had purchased some new wheels for my cross bike & a dropper post just before Covid shut everything down.  Except Asia was already shut down and it took about a month to get my wheels, about 3 months to get the dropper post. I bought them from a friend who owns a bike shop and she said sales took off in March and had been at record pace (for her) all summer.  Local supplies dried up, overseas shipments stopped and people were home with no gyms so started riding.

41 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure this has come up here previously.  Bike sales went banana’s during covid.

I had purchased some new wheels for my cross bike & a dropper post just before Covid shut everything down.  Except Asia was already shut down and it took about a month to get my wheels, about 3 months to get the dropper post. I bought them from a friend who owns a bike shop and she said sales took off in March and had been at record pace (for her) all summer.  Local supplies dried up, overseas shipments stopped and people were home with no gyms so started riding.

I need new tire rims and wheels. (Schwable with blue liner)..and am almost afraid to ask. So I might consider asking later and can leave bike with them for a month while it snows/ices in winter.

I work part-time at a local bike shop with six locations in Northern VA. I used to work Saturdays 10 - 6, but after two years of this I wanted my weekends back so I said I was quitting, they asked if I would stay on payroll and just work when they were short handed. Sure, discounts are good. The coronavirus shut downs started in late February or early March. Schools and gyms were closing but bicycle shops were deemed essential as they were tied to transportation and were allowed to remain open. I worked a Saturday in mid-March and we were slammed. We had a sales staff of six with a manager and each employee was helping two to three customers at once. "Here's a helmet, here's a bike, trail's down that way. When you come back I'll be helping someone else but will come back to talk with you." We set a sales record for March with about $42,000 in sales. For perspective, the bike industry's biggest sales periods are summer. July and August during le Tour. Manufacturers are bringing out the new models and discounting the current year models. September sees more sales as remaining inventories are marked down to make room for the incoming new models. Kid's bikes and accessory sales go up around the holidays. But June, July and August are meat and potatoes. We see sales number in the upper $30's to low $40's consistently through the summer; not in early March. After that weekend I worked, the shop changed protocols to reduce crowding. One customer per employee in the store. Masks are mandatory. They broke the sales record from the previous week with $48k in sales. There were hardly any bikes left in the store. The owners were able to get more bikes from Trek and Specialized and keep the sales going, but Trek ran out of bikes in May or June. Sold more Specialized after that. Sales are still going strong, topping $40k almost every weekend. Everyone wants a bike and the local trails are full of walkers, runners, and cyclists. I avoid the trails now and ride the streets. The hardball negotiators have nothing. "What's the best deal I can get on this bike?" "Well the MSRP is $4,200, I can let you have it for $4,200." "That's not much of a discount." "By the end of the day, this bike will be sold for $4,200, either to you or someone else. Do you wants a helmet, pedals? Have I told you about the extended warranty for only $199?" No one saw this coming, but the bike industry and retailers adapted and they are making the best of it. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Will be interesting to see how fast they replenish with new stock as the demand consumed existing inventory. With most of the bike frames made in china, can they get the stock to build? Similar is happening in the RV industry, whose dealers also had a great year and virtually no 'affordable' stock. Factories are back up trying to meet pre-sold customer orders through dealers. Some are being completed as they trickle out, but hundreds are on factory lots 95% complete awaiting components, such as AC, cabinets, or refrigerators that are imported.

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

@Tizeyeyes, they are getting two to three shipments of bikes per week. These are 2021 models coming in. The factories in China are up and running. Orders for some models are backed up 4-6 months, but people are still putting money down 

Yep - like I wrote in the miles thread, my buddy just got a new Diverge (from the Leesburg Spokes), and they had inventory on hand. 

I imagine the shortages were two-fold - 1) delays from COVID and 2) "normal" ordering last fall for this spring that was depleted rapidly.  If a bike company only builds according to their "normal" ordering expectations, then any surge in demand takes a while to scale up to - from the actual manufacturing to the trek across the ocean and highways.

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

There were hardly any bikes left in the store. The owners were able to get more bikes from Trek and Specialized and keep the sales going, but Trek ran out of bikes in May or June. Sold more Specialized after that. Sales are still going strong, topping $40k almost every weekend. Everyone wants a bike and the local trails are full of walkers, runners, and cyclists. I avoid the trails now and ride the streets. The hardball negotiators have nothing. "What's the best deal I can get on this bike?" "Well the MSRP is $4,200, I can let you have it for $4,200." "That's not much of a discount." "By the end of the day, this bike will be sold for $4,200, either to you or someone else. Do you wants a helmet, pedals? Have I told you about the extended warranty for only $199?" No one saw this coming, but the bike industry and retailers adapted and they are making the best of it. 

Dearie told me he saw a VAncouver area bike manufacturer... being interviewed on local tv. In background is a shipping container full of bikes at VAncouver's port....90% of the Brodie bikes in that shipment were already reserved for customers who paid deposits.

He hasn't yet chatted up with his former business partner,  a bike shop owner with one of the shops near the waterfront where there is a very busy /popular bike path.. he just sees less bikes outside the shop for sales attraction.  Most likely the bike shop owner has already sold his rental bikes from spring-fall renters, for a small discount, smaller than other years.

The latest cycling jackets are now priced quite expensive.  All more the reason why it's for me to have more than 1 for same type of cycling garment.

Just came back from another bike store -- a smaller one. yup, hardly any bikes on the floor at this time. Now I just realized:  I didn't see any panniers on display. A customer was trying out a Trek hybrid bike...it was a lovely deep red. I said to him, given the brand name on the crossbar, he might think about what to do to prevent it from getting stolen.  

Especially nowadays with shortage of bikes.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

These would seem to be an odd item to be out of.  Much less of a need to use them if not commuting and travel limited. 

Well, if families are cycling together more often which I do see more of compared to other years, then a parent would want to carry stuff along for kids--  food, etc. Over the past few weeks, I have seen parents cycle with kids and park their bikes at the market.  It's easier for parent to bike the extra stuff instead of the kids.

In Vancouver that type of family outing by bike, has been going for the past ...decade every weekend at some the outdoor farmers' markets.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Well, if families are cycling together more often which I do see more of compared to other years, then a parent would want to carry stuff along for kids--  food, etc. Over the past few weeks, I have seen parents cycle with kids and park their bikes at the market.  It's easier for parent to bike the extra stuff instead of the kids.

In Vancouver that type of family outing by bike, has been going for the past ...decade every weekend at some the outdoor farmers' markets.

I can't see it offsetting the "normal" crowd using panniers.  Of course, I've used the same set for years and years, so maybe the new folks could be more than a tiny bump.  My only need has been for spare parts like a new buckle.

13 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

@Tizeyeyes, they are getting two to three shipments of bikes per week. These are 2021 models coming in. The factories in China are up and running. Orders for some models are backed up 4-6 months, but people are still putting money down 

Was going to swing by LBS on ride today for sad photo through window - closed on Sunday. Unfortunately had accident in other thread and never returned that way. Can’t believe rode bike home with fractured clavicle and other injuries.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

These would seem to be an odd item to be out of.  Much less of a need to use them if not commuting and travel limited. 

If demand bumps just a little with more bike commuters, I could see them selling out. Probably not an item they usually sell a lot of, and therefore wouldn’t have huge inventory. Any supply-side delays would create that pretty quickly.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

If demand bumps just a little with more bike commuters, I could see them selling out. Probably not an item they usually sell a lot of, and therefore wouldn’t have huge inventory. Any supply-side delays would create that pretty quickly.

True, but where would the bump in commuters come from? I gotta think the growth in commuting is at a standstill right now.  But perhaps the family outing demographic bumped demand up. I'm guessing more a supply chain and ordering in advance issue.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

True, but where would the bump in commuters come from? I gotta think the growth in commuting is at a standstill right now.  But perhaps the family outing demographic bumped demand up. I'm guessing more a supply chain and ordering in advance issue.

Imagine being a parent stuck inside with more than 1 young child and trying to work from home too. They want to get some free entertainment and exercise:  cycling a route is just perfect. Have a picnic somewhere.

Wear out the happy children and they'll sleep better. :) That's how my sisters deal with overly active/bothersome kids at home.

Not only that, you have some kids....who one day will return to cycling as an adult because of happy memories.

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Imagine being a parent stuck inside with more than 1 young child and trying to work from home too. They want to get some free entertainment and exercise:  cycling a route is just perfect. Have a picnic somewhere.

Wear out the happy children and they'll sleep better. :) That's how my sisters deal with overly active/bothersome kids at home.

Not only that, you have some kids....who one day will return to cycling as an adult because of happy memories.

I see tons of families out riding with their kids, and we know from Longjohn that kids bikes were in especially high demand this season.  I still wonder about folks buying a rack and panniers when a backpack or the extra space in a Burley would work. 

But, folks buy SUVs and minivans, packed them to the gills for a day trip to the beach or grandparents, so I can see folks going a bit overboard with needing racks, panniers, and whatever else they can buy for an afternoon ride with the kids :)

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I see tons of families out riding with their kids, and we know from Longjohn that kids bikes were in especially high demand this season.  I still wonder about folks buying a rack and panniers when a backpack or the extra space in a Burley would work. 

But, folks buy SUVs and minivans, packed them to the gills for a day trip to the beach or grandparents, so I can see folks going a bit overboard with needing racks, panniers, and whatever else they can buy for an afternoon ride with the kids :)

Not everyone likes riding with a backpack full of alot of stuff. I don't. I never did. I only cycled with a purse size knapsack for certain trips to go photo shooting.  Some people are small. 

Kids can require abit of crap for an afternoon outing ride.  Food, some extra clothes...etc. For more than 1 child, it adds up weight-wise.  In a large park where there's nothing around for the next 10-15 km. that can be alot with very young children.

Well, maybe some people are starting realize..they can go on errands to grocery store, especially if some road traffic is less busy (if they don't have paths/cycle tracks).... and get some exercise at same time. 

I suspect Washington DC area is like Vancouver....some people who bike more than just fitness.

Seems that in MA, you need to shop outside at the bike shop.  They bring stuff from inside the store out to you.  That's not shopping.

Same for service.  The service guy comes out to you, if it's a tiny fix, they do it on the sidewalk, otherwise you drop it off.

This is silly seeing as how we're starting to allow indoor seating for restaurants.  Not driven by science because that would indicate restaurants should be closed outright, but likely the weather and economy.  Can't be having outdoor dining in December.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Seems that in MA, you need to shop outside at the bike shop.  They bring stuff from inside the store out to you.  That's not shopping.

Same for service.  The service guy comes out to you, if it's a tiny fix, they do it on the sidewalk, otherwise you drop it off.

This is silly seeing as how we're starting to allow indoor seating for restaurants.  Not driven by science because that would indicate restaurants should be closed outright, but likely the weather and economy.  Can't be having outdoor dining in December.

It was sort of a mish mash here. Some shops were like how you mentioned. Some limited customers, some had no controls at all.  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Many people have stopped using mass transit and are now riding to work on bikes. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

During summer-fall, that didn't quite happen at these bike stores.  The stores have a maximum limit of number of customers inside the store.  When I went in, it was fine...not a ton of people which right now it's fall.

Our city has a face mask bylaw in place for public indoor spaces..meaning stores, etc.  Generally speaking I find all store clerks and 98% customers inside mask up this summer onward.

One is allowed touch merchandise.  Certain stores will not allow you try on clothing.  One store did allow me and I chose to when I really wanted to buy the shorts.  And the shorts fit me.

The trickier part is probably when it gets colder and people are more germy.

38 minutes ago, dennis said:

Many people have stopped using mass transit and are now riding to work on bikes. 

Yeah - I wonder about that one around here.  Metro ridership is way down, but so is working in offices, so it is hard to pin down if it is more folks commuting differently or fewer folks needing to commute.

Historically, though, even of the bike commuters during the normal times, most folks are using backpacks.  Some, but not nearly as many, use panniers. Probably, though, panniers are one of those items that are stocked so lean to begin with that there is little room unexpected growth.  Of course, by Oct, one would think the supply chain would have caught up.

My LBS is still one month to 6 weeks on maintenance and a bike build, and they are out of some parts.  I stopped by Friday to discuss my Richey build.  I was going to buy some parts from them (bottom bracket, drivetrain).  They told me they order from a since source, but I might have better luck online.  They helped me to know what to buy, which, I did find online at Colorado Cyclist. 

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I wonder about that one around here.  Metro ridership is way down, but so is working in offices, so it is hard to pin down if it is more folks commuting differently or fewer folks needing to commute.

Historically, though, even of the bike commuters during the normal times, most folks are using backpacks.  Some, but not nearly as many, use panniers. Probably, though, panniers are one of those items that are stocked so lean to begin with that there is little room unexpected growth.  Of course, by Oct, one would think the supply chain would have caught up.

There are six bike shops here. I bet only one or two carry panniers. So if 4 people buy some, they are sold out.

The supply chain is catching up, slowly. I was in one LBS recently and they have a lot of bikes. The 2021 models are arriving.

It's a weird year. Ripple effects because of shutdowns in various countries. Bike racks are in short supply too. 

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

There are six bike shops here. I bet only one or two carry panniers. So if 4 people buy some, they are sold out.

But it would seem odd, nine months in, that they hadn't reordered more - or more aggressively stocked.  I'm guessing that the biggest problem is "how long" will the COVID stuff continue and how long will it change consumer buying habits?  So, say they ran out early - say April - did they just reorder the "normal" amount or did they order more (taking a risk). And was their order promptly filled or did the manufacturer have a slowdown or an inability to meet increased demand? 

If you were running a small LBS, would you "gamble" on the cycling craze continuing or try to meet it somewhere in the middle by ordering a little more, but not a lot more. Likewise, with the crappy Feb & March, COULD you even afford to order more?  Was there sufficient capital to ride the wave and were you high enough in the food chain to get your orders filled promptly or pushed behind the larger customers/LBS/on-line folks?

This COVID era is gonna be a hell of a business school field of study for the current generation.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But it would seem odd, nine months in, that they hadn't reordered more - or more aggressively stocked.  I'm guessing that the biggest problem is "how long" will the COVID stuff continue and how long will it change consumer buying habits?  So, say they ran out early - say April - did they just reorder the "normal" amount or did they order more (taking a risk). And was their order promptly filled or did the manufacturer have a slowdown or an inability to meet increased demand? 

If you were running a small LBS, would you "gamble" on the cycling craze continuing or try to meet it somewhere in the middle by ordering a little more, but not a lot more. Likewise, with the crappy Feb & March, COULD you even afford to order more?  Was there sufficient capital to ride the wave and were you high enough in the food chain to get your orders filled promptly or pushed behind the larger customers/LBS/on-line folks?

This COVID era is gonna be a hell of a business school field of study for the current generation.

Who says they haven't reordered?

The shops I have talked to think this trend will continue in the short term. 

I think in times like this or the last recession, business owners learn to adapt or fail. It can be challenging, but it makes you stronger.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

Who says they haven't reordered?

The shops I have talked to think this trend will continue in the short term. 

I think in times like this or the last recession, business owners learn to adapt or fail. It can be challenging, but it makes you stronger.

My LBS friend has been having trouble finding a cassette body for my wife’s bike.  It’s been about 4-6 months now and the issue before was she just couldn’t find any in stock.  She gave my wife a loaner wheel so it may have slipped off her radar or it’s still unavailable.  

This thread reminded me that I need to follow up with her...

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm guessing that the biggest problem is "how long" will the COVID stuff continue and how long will it change consumer buying habits?  So, say they ran out early - say April - did they just reorder the "normal" amount or did they order more (taking a risk). And was their order promptly filled or did the manufacturer have a slowdown or an inability to meet increased demand? 

I am aware via some people at work, that for fitness/enjoyment, they have gone cycling more often this year.  We chat up about their cycling progress.

What is harder is that some people do need an experienced cyclist to accompany them to build confidence to know of good bike path routes.  Just looking at a bike map doesn't solve that problem for some folks, even experienced cyclists want to explore other areas in the city.  I live in a sprawly city where cycling infrastructure is not as well connected to key destinations as Vancouver, Toronto.  All some people need to be shown via a led ride for 2-3 major routes.

In my city, it's still car dominant..which makes no sense right now given the lower car traffic volume. For upcoming snowy season, the city has removed some of the barriers for summer long temporary lane for bikes, escooters and joggers for social distancing. These are the barriers to helping people changing their method of travel where I live.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My LBS friend has been having trouble finding a cassette body for my wife’s bike.  It’s been about 4-6 months now and the issue before was she just couldn’t find any in stock.  She gave my wife a loaner wheel so it may have slipped off her radar or it’s still unavailable.  

This thread reminded me that I need to follow up with her...

I destroyed the hub on my mtb in July. The LBS said it would be Oct before I could get the replacement part. I bought a new wheel instead. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

This happened in Toronto for some people, especially when the city closed off some select car lanes for cyclists, etc.  But of course, not all people are cyclists or it's still just too far for them to bike. I have a sister who doesn't bike and takes transit since she doesn't have a car/nor drives. She works at a hospital. Some cities are huge..meaning a distance of 15-20 km. one way through some convoluted routes.  I know...because I worked, biked and lived in Toronto for 14 yrs. During those years, I worked in different parts of the city for various jobs. I also lived beside the subway station..and had to take it during winter.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We have to remember there are health care workers, retail workers...who can't work at the office. And not everyone can/wants to get a car ride from others, especially outside their family.