What else can I do when I am this distraught? <chicken related>

Randomguy

I like buying chicken drumsticks.  They are cheap and everywhere, and they taste good without much intervention.

I bake them in a cookie sheet at 425 degrees about 18 - 20 minutes then flip and cook them another 15 minutes or so.  I generally just coat the hell out of them with olive oil and then salt and pepper them.  I might add some herb or other to see what happens, too (dried herbs only).  Because they always turn out very well and it is usually just me, I am in a bit of a rut and am not sure how to make them a different way without going all nuts with 188 different spices and weird extra steps and incantations and the sprinkling of virgin blood and such. 

How do I make them different without losing my 'simple is better' ethos and still get a novel experience or taste?  I want to kick them up a notch without going crazy, you see.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Dickbag Dickbag Dickbag said:

I like buying chicken drumsticks.  They are cheap and everywhere, and they taste good without much intervention.

I bake them in a cookie sheet at 425 degrees about 18 - 20 minutes then flip and cook them another 15 minutes or so.  I generally just coat the hell out of them with olive oil and then salt and pepper them.  I might add some herb or other to see what happens, too (dried herbs only).  Because they always turn out very well and it is usually just me, I am in a bit of a rut and am not sure how to make them a different way without going all nuts with 188 different spices and weird extra steps and incantations and the sprinkling of virgin blood and such. 

How do I make them different without losing my 'simple is better' ethos and still get a novel experience or taste?  I want to kick them up a notch without going crazy, you see.

400° to 425° is a great baking temperature for dark meat chicken for 40 min. or so: the skin is crisp and the meat is still juicy.

I drizzle olive oil on the pieces, then rub it all over each piece and bake it.

HERE'S AN EASY THING TO TRY:  I like tasty but not-too-spicy dry rubs like Weber or McCormick on Chicken and Pork.

14 of us spent a week at a cabin on a lake in Western Marland a couple years ago and when it was my night to cook dinner, I got legs and thighs from the local Walmart for $1.28/lb, a bunch of boxes of Walmart store brand mac & cheese ($0.82/box, as good as regular Kraft mac & cheese) and picked up the milk and butter to go with it at Walmart, 9 14.5 oz. cans of Aldi store brand green beans ($0.49/can) and made a fine dinner.  I also got a bottle of Weber Dry Rub (about $5 or so).

I sat the bottle of Weber rub on the table and let them shake it on the baked legs or thighs themselves, not knowing if some people wouldn't like it.  EVERYBODY raved about it.  Some would eat half a thigh and shake some more on.

1002085056_WeberDryRub(BBQ).JPG.641921bdc7118756f3526c6be2e72294.JPG

• Heart 1

Have you ever tried brazing them?  I will often times brown chicken, then add a liquid like white wine, herbs, aromatics  & turn the heat down & let simmer.

I know you said simple but if you can find Indonesian sweet soy (kecap manis) here is our favorite:  Brown chicken & season chicken with nutmeg & black pepper while browning. cover liberally with sweet soy & add chicken stock so the chicken is 1/2 covered.  Simmer on low heat 30 - 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

The Spice Way - Traditional Lebanese Zaatar with Hyssop | 2 oz | (No Thyme that is used as an hyssop substitute) Freshly Grown Seasoning. No Additives, No Perservatives (Za'atar/zatar/zahtar/zahatar) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NKQRXB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_SxrHFb7DJVAGP

Za'atar is great on chicken. Olive oil, some salt and pepper. I add pine nuts and onion as well, but those are optional.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I could suggest a way of cooking them.  However, my way is likely overly fussy and slightly bothersome for you.

I could also suggest he stop eating chicken altogether, but like your idea, that's probably too bothersome for him :(