NERDS! Notepad++ is quite awesome

Ralphie

Just got an update for it, and every time I do and peruse the change log that comes up automagically in user-friendly fashion, I am quite impressed with how they continually improve it.  Sure, it is intended for programmers, and I have no clue what most of those updates and features do, but I use it instead of Notepad some times, and it is SO nice, so user-friendly.  And simple on the surface yet you can really dive down deep into some quite advanced features.  Any other users of it here?  Quite an upgrade from my first days on Unix where I was forced to learn vi. :( That was always in survival mode!

Notepad++ is my go to editor for small coding tasks.  I also use it for XML files.  It is pretty nice.  I use Visual Studio for larger projects.

Text editors have have come along way.  The first I used was M.EXE that came with the Microsoft C compiler.  It was like vi but you didn't have to know regular expressions if you wanted to search and replace text.  I got pretty comfortable with vi but I never really liked it.   I felt like I always had to think about what I wanted to do.  I tried EMACS a couple times.  You may have been able to do a lot of stuff with it but there was nothing intuitive about the keyboard commands so I stuck with vi.  When I went back to coding on a PC, I found VIM and GVIM to be pretty good but still very vi'ish.  Then one day I saw  mention of notepad++ and I thought I'd give it a try.  I installed it and when I started it up the clouds parted and that angels sang.  It was everything I wanted in a text editor.  I was in love.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I last used vi in June. Hope to never use it again.

Notepad ++ sure beat using Word for writing code that was going to a unix system. Word files would leave things like ^M for carriage returns. I hated developers who used Word. 

So you stuck with Bill Joy's creation till the bitter end, eh?  :D

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, Random Guy said:

Then one day I saw  mention of notepad++ and I thought I'd give it a try.  I installed it and when I started it up the clouds parted and that angels sang.  It was everything I wanted in a text editor.  I was in love.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!  :D

I know the feeling with vi.  I always felt like I was one keystroke away from disaster.  :q! was my friend!

Our unix system had a GUI text editor on it, but you could never be sure it was available in all situations, so I had to learn vi.  It was a rocky road.  You do feel some feeling of accomplishment after getting the least bit proficient with it, but a ()(&^ text editor shouldn't be such an uphill battle.  I guess it might have been nice for its day.  I did appreciate the simple elegance it has.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I built an Intranet for our department at work.  It's based on ColdFusion.  I also use it a little for my real site - the one that helps fund this place.

Cool.  That is good that Adobe hasn't messed it up.

Wow, we LFers sure were lucky you came around when you did, to salvage the user base when the site went up in flames! 

• Heart 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Cool.  That is good that Adobe hasn't messed it up.

Been using CF since it was an Allaire product.  Started with a one-page website.  We used it to manage forms.  I manually updated the single page.  Then I learned how to build a few dynamic pages.  Then it turned into a full site with permissions.  What started as a 1 page site is now several hundred GBs of file management, and it will only grow.

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Been using CF since it was an Allaire product.  Started with a one-page website.  We used it to manage forms.  I manually updated the single page.  Then I learned how to build a few dynamic pages.  Then it turned into a full site with permissions.  What started as a 1 page site is now several hundred GBs of file management, and it will only grow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_J._Allaire 

So he hit the ground running with the interwebs, 1995.  Interesting.  He has an app that competes with MyFitnessPal, which I used for a short while but got taared of typing all that stuff in,  I really should get a food scale and start using it again.  I really snack a lot on peanuts which can add way too many calories.  No time like the present, owl fire that sucker back up and see how much it has improved.  It was already not bad at remembering recent entries, but it could be more efficient.  Owl bet it is now. :) Might also be interesting to compare with Allaire's Lose It.

That is great to be able to stick with software that long.  Microsoft is so stupid the way they roll logs in front of you with constant disruptive updating where usually they just shuffle stuff around so you can't find shit!  Intelligent updating would be so much nicer, use user feedback to slowly improve, not shuffle things around every 2 or 3 years while perhaps adding some nice new features.  Whoever came up with Windows 8 has a special place in h e double hockey sticks!

Allaire Corporation

In early 1994, Allaire became convinced that the architecture of the Web could disrupt how software was built and distributed, transforming the browser from being a document browsing system into a full online operating system for any kind of software application.

In 1995, Jeremy and his brother J.J. Allaire, along with a group of close college friends, founded their own web company, Allaire Corporation, using $18,000 of J.J.’s savings.[4] Allaire Corporation aimed to provide easy-to-use web development tools.

The brothers invented ColdFusion, a rapid web application development platform designed to easily connect simple HTML pages to a database using its associated scripting language, ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML). ColdFusion was widely used, and companies including Myspace, Target, and Toys R Us (along with millions of other websites) relied on the technology from Allaire to develop their online properties.

Allaire Corp. grew rapidly, from just over $1M in revenue in 1996, to $120M in revenue in the year 2000, growing to over 700 employees and operating with offices throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. In addition to its flagship product ColdFusion, Allaire launched HomeSite, which became the most popular Windows HTML Editor in the world, and JRun, one of the first and most widely adopted Java app servers.[4]

Allaire also helped to pioneer foundational ideas in open distributed computing based on light-weight HTTP-based distributed objects. In particular, the company developed the Web Distributed Data Exchange (WDDX) in 1998, an open source format for using HTTP for simple remote procedure calls, a precursor to the adoption of REST and JSON for web software APIs.

Allaire Corp. had its IPO in January 1999[1] and was acquired by Macromedia in March 2001 for US$360M in a deal that included cash and stock. As a result of this acquisition, Jeremy Allaire became CTO of Macromedia.[6]

• 1 month later...