There was a time when "gas station attendant" was a respected profession that required you wear a proper uniform and hat

Mr. Silly

Still like that at many stations in Japan.  The difference is they don't use free-standing pumps, the gas, air and oil hoses pull down from overhead.  Four attendants work your car.  One pumps fuel, one checks oil and coolant, one checks tire pressure and one washes your windows.  When you leave they line up and bow, one dude stops traffic so you can pull out.  Pretty cool process to watch in action.

• Heart 1

In my young days, the stations always pumped the gas for you, but the attendants never looked like they did in the ads.  Usually some kid (teenager) or some guy in greasy overalls.  I don't think I ever saw a guy wearing one of those caps.

I remember when I lived in Denton Texas there was a fella named "Conoco Joe" who owned the Conoco station on Hickory St

He was a throwback to the 50s, though. Joe would wear his uniform and ball cap like he had for years

He'd sit out in front of the station and we'd stop and talk with him walking home from class

In my young days, the stations always pumped the gas for you, but the attendants never looked like they did in the ads.  Usually some kid (teenager) or some guy in greasy overalls.  I don't think I ever saw a guy wearing one of those caps.

I pumped gas in highschool.  After the boss left, my friends would come over and we'd smoke weed in the garage bay.  We didn't get overalls.  We got a dark red shirt with our name embroidered on it and some dark blue slacks.  The suckiest part of the job was when someone would come in late in the evening during the winter when it was dark and ask to get their oil checked.  It was easy to get the dip stick out but you'd burn the fuck out of your hands on the engine block trying to get it back in.

I miss the local full service station.  Ours was owned by Joe Traficano.  Self serve and full serve.  Had two repair bays.  They did all our automotive work.  If you were out of gas, or needed a jump start, call them and they would send someone out.

Used to ride my bike up there to air up the tires for free as a kid.  

And best of all, it was next to the Dairy Queen at the corner of Custer and Lookout.  The buidling is still there, but now it is owned by a real estate investor.  The DQ is now Bunkies Donuts.  My boys still ride their bikes up there to get donuts.