My father’s health is rapidly declining

BuffJim

Yesterday was a bad day. He was mostly unresponsive. He didn’t eat and couldn’t get up to pee. My brother who came up from Florida to be with my parents tried to call me at 11, but my phone was charging in the other room. He described my mother as being in a state of shock. He’s in the end stages of Pulmonary Fibrosis. So I don’t know how many days or weeks he has left. The only brother who hasn’t visited this year is scheduled to come next week, but may leave earlier. I’ve made four trips since late June, so have spent time saying a long goodbye. 
We’re towards the end of our vacation and don’t know if we should change our plans. 
Thoughts and prayers are welcome. 

• Sad 18
  • Hugs 1

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Prayers sent...

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

We’re towards the end of our vacation and don’t know if we should change our plans. 

You do what you can...  sometimes life changes your plans.  

• Hugs 1

@BuffJim I'm very sorry; you and your family will be in my prayers, including your mother.

My FiL passed away from complications of pulmonary fibrosis.  He broke a rib in a fall, it punctured a lung, and his body couldn't heal it due to his condition. He went from seemingly fine with a little shortness of breath to gone in a month. I feel you.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Honey Badger said:

@BuffJim I'm very sorry; you and your family will be in my prayers, including your mother.

My FiL passed away from complications of pulmonary fibrosis.  He broke a rib in a fall, it punctured a lung, and his body couldn't heal it due to his condition. He went from seemingly fine with a little shortness of breath to gone in a month. I feel you.

My Dad’s had it 15 years or more. Formally diagnosed 3 and a half years ago. He’s been on oxygen 3 and a half years. But went downhill over the summer. 

My oldest brother wants me to come up this weekend. Sounds like he has this idea of the whole family gathering at the bedside for a vigil or something. I’m on a trip, and would involve rerouting. Kind of torn. My mother doesn’t want to be alone when he passed, but there will be two other brothers at all times. He didn’t eat or drink much of anything for two days, and I know that’s unsustainable. 

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My Dad’s had it 15 years or more. Formally diagnosed 3 and a half years ago. He’s been on oxygen 3 and a half years. But went downhill over the summer. 

My FiL passed 3 years ago. They had known for two years at that point, but it likely began far earlier, and he went undiagnosed. He wasn't on oxygen until he was in the hospital, but he got winded using stairs or going to the mailbox.

I'm really sorry, Jim. I wouldn't wish something like that on an enemy. For those with little experience of it, imagine normal soft, pink, elastic healthy lungs turning into this:

1821414573_Small-Twelve-Panel-1940-Football-11.thumb.jpg.a8bdc739cc2a9c54c2887adda8e8206d.jpg

• Hugs 1

27 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

My FiL passed 3 years ago. They had known for two years at that point, but it likely began far earlier, and he went undiagnosed. He wasn't on oxygen until he was in the hospital, but he got winded using stairs or going to the mailbox.

I'm really sorry, Jim. I wouldn't wish something like that on an enemy. For those with little experience of it, imagine normal soft, pink, elastic healthy lungs turning into this:

1821414573_Small-Twelve-Panel-1940-Football-11.thumb.jpg.a8bdc739cc2a9c54c2887adda8e8206d.jpg

I’ve been diagnosed with it. Hope to have 15 years or more until it’s to the point of needing oxygen. Right now it’s a small part of one lobe, and didn’t get worse from August 2019. 

• Heart 2

On 10/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, BuffJim said:

Yesterday was a bad day. He was mostly unresponsive. He didn’t eat and couldn’t get up to pee. My brother who came up from Florida to be with my parents tried to call me at 11, but my phone was charging in the other room. He described my mother as being in a state of shock. He’s in the end stages of Pulmonary Fibrosis. So I don’t know how many days or weeks he has left. The only brother who hasn’t visited this year is scheduled to come next week, but may leave earlier. I’ve made four trips since late June, so have spent time saying a long goodbye. 

Sorry to read. These are the stages of life that suck.

• Hugs 1