My new neighborhood

Dirtyhip

They all seem nice  There is a neighborhood watch group on Facebook for that little community.  The people in this zone have been so welcoming.  It seems like a tight knit group.  

I read some of the posts this morning.  There is some crime up there.  It isn't too terrible, but it has happened. Luckily, I am way up on this dead end that seems a little foreboding to strangers.

Can I find anywhere that is safe?  

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They all seem nice  There is a neighborhood watch group on Facebook for that little community.  The people in this zone have been so welcoming.  It seems like a tight knit group.  

I read some of the posts this morning.  There is some crime up there.  It isn't too terrible, but it has happened. Luckily, I am way up on this dead end that seems a little foreboding to strangers.

I googled that and found page after page about covid-19.  It appears that the answer is no.

Whatever you do, don't get a Ring doorbell.  Will start getting all these security alerts from neighbors cameras (vague address, close intersection and number of miles away) of security issues. You will think you live in the highest crime area ever!

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are going to have to move

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

If you need one of those, that's the first hint.

Maybe they all have Ring doorbells and share their footage with each other and the cops too.

It isn't too terribly active, but there is some crime.  There are watch groups for just about all the hoods in our town.  I guess that is a thing now.  

Theft is so awful.  Thieves are aholes.

Those neighborhood groups are fun, but gossipy. I live in a neighborhood that hasn't had a reported crime in about two months. If you log into my neighborhood website, you would think we are living in an area worse than Somalia.  

One night I was out walking the dog and came across a car blocking the sidewalk. They do this weird thing in my neighborhood where the cars will park half in the driveway and half in the street. Instead of going behind the car and into the street to get around, I went in front of the car and into the driveway. By the time I got home, someone had already posted the video from their doorbell camera with an urgent warning about a burglar with a guard dog looking to break into cars. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Our Ring reports recently:

6 days ago, report of a fire, turns out it was a controlled bonfire and call to fire department was cleared

42 days ago, items stolen from car. 

on the Facebook neighborhood there are ads for pumpkins for sale, a note that Keye farm is closed for the season, and someone looking for recommendations for repairing casement windows. I sent her Cheese’s phone number. 

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Our Ring reports recently:

6 days ago, report of a fire, turns out it was a controlled bonfire and call to fire department was cleared

42 days ago, items stolen from car. 

on the Facebook neighborhood there are ads for pumpkins for sale, a note that Keye farm is closed for the season, and someone looking for recommendations for repairing casement windows. I sent her Cheese’s phone number. 

A post on our neighborhood watch yesterday was someone introducing their dog, Silas.  Silas is a Great Pyranees who loves to escape.  When he is out, they hook hi to a tire that he drags around.  Personally, I would just make better fencing for Silas (taller and no holes).  He seems healthy and thriving just fine though.  Its a big tire too.  LOL

A post this morning was a lady saying goodbye to the neighborhood, as she sold her house.  There was a bunch of posts that reflected sadness of her leaving.  Her house sold in 4 days. It's a nice home, but it is right next to the highway.  It must get a lot of road noise.  Likely, that is why she want to leave.  

Another older post was about a child that was wandering in the early morning, soaking wet.  He didn't know where he lived and had limited vocabulary.  I guess kids get out and wander if not attended to properly.

• Heart 2

22 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Whatever you do, don't get a Ring doorbell.  Will start getting all these security alerts from neighbors cameras (vague address, close intersection and number of miles away) of security issues. You will think you live in the highest crime area ever!

Seems like 80% of my notifications are about a bobcat walking through someones yard, or a "who is this solicitor" and "are they legit". 

• Heart 1

I spoke too soon. Big doings on neighbors this morning. A gunshot was heard on Middle Road about sunrise. How can this be?  Let’s see there is a police training range nearby, there is a skeet, trap and pistol club about three miles away, and oh yeah, it is the first day of turkey season. Duck season too, but no water on Middle Road. Relax people. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I spoke too soon. Big doings on neighbors this morning. A gunshot was heard on Middle Road about sunrise. How can this be?  Let’s see there is a police training range nearby, there is a skeet, trap and pistol club about three miles away, and oh yeah, it is the first day of turkey season. Duck season too, but no water on Middle Road. Relax people. 

Oh ya.. almost forgot.... "Whats that siren noise"
Either it is the Wed noon test of the tornado siren once a month, or it is the lightning strike siren at the schools that goes off if there is a strike within 5 miles of the school. 

23 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Hood rats ain't just in the hood these days.

I agree. People in rural Alberta have their problems, especially at night and living so isolated/ abit far from neighbours. There have been invasions, thefts, cattle rustling, etc. I find it abit wierd that people say city is so dangerous, full of crime. Really?  If something happens, the police take much longer to respond..in the rural areas. Those complaints in our province have been documented.