Square Wheels Cycling

Who are these guys?

Well, I can guess!

Spoiler

From here.

So Thomas Frischknecht on a Ritchey P-21 and the other guy might be John Tomac on a Raleigh????

But I could be way wrong.  Fun game!  And the linked story in my answer.

I think @az_cyclist is building up a Ritchey Break-Away travel frame (does that use S&S couplers or some other method?).

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, I can guess!

Reveal hidden contents

From here.

So Thomas Frischknecht on a Ritchey P-21 and the other guy might be John Tomac on a Raleigh????

But I could be way wrong.  Fun game!  And the linked story in my answer.

I think @az_cyclist is building up a Ritchey Break-Away travel frame (does that use S&S couplers or some other method?).

Bingo! Well done.

I think they used to use S&S couplers, but now it looks different.

Break-Away Outback Frameset

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Bingo! Well done.

I think they used to use S&S couplers, but now it looks different.

Break-Away Outback Frameset

Thats it.

and I should have the drivetrain soon.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, az_cyclist said:

Thats it.

and I should have the drivetrain soon.

Same color?  And what is the coupling system since it doesn't look like the S&S ones. You're going with the Ultegra/R8000 build?  Not thinking of Di2?

On a full-size travel bike (any bike), I'd love the option of hydraulic brakes with Di2, and I think the Di2 would be an easy "no shift cables to worry about" option, but the rear (and maybe front) brake lines would be an issue (but maybe they make a coupler for those as well).  Also, the battery might have to be removed for travel, so that would be a minor PITA along with bringing the charger "just in case".

23 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Same color?  And what is the coupling system since it doesn't look like the S&S ones. You're going with the Ultegra/R8000 build?  Not thinking of Di2?

On a full-size travel bike (any bike), I'd love the option of hydraulic brakes with Di2, and I think the Di2 would be an easy "no shift cables to worry about" option, but the rear (and maybe front) brake lines would be an issue (but maybe they make a coupler for those as well).  Also, the battery might have to be removed for travel, so that would be a minor PITA along with bringing the charger "just in case".

I have been satisfied with hydraulic disc brakes on my Domane SL6, but, I bought the Richey break away for options when travelling.  The recommendation that I received , from several sources, was to go cable for a break away, rather than hydraulic. As for Di2, I have heard those that have it are satisfied, but, I have been satisfied with the Ultegra.

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

I have been satisfied with hydraulic disc brakes on my Domane SL6, but, I bought the Richey break away for options when travelling.  The recommendation that I received , from several sources, was to go cable for a break away, rather than hydraulic. As for Di2, I have heard those that have it are satisfied, but, I have been satisfied with the Ultegra.

I have the mechanical Ultegra-level GRX on my Diverge and it is BUTTER!  The only noticeable shifting "issue" is the final big jump on the 11-32 from the 28 to the super low 32.  Normally, the 3 tooth jump is the biggest I've had (11-28 or 12-27 cassettes), and that little extra (but still 33% more) of a four tooth jump is noticeable.  Otherwise, front and rear shifts are SWEET, accurate, and predictable.

Theoretically, there are the cable-to-hydraulic disc brake options out there too.  But, yeah, it is ALL about ease of assembly or disassembly on a travel bike!