Bean soup

petitepedal

So...my chicken Andoulie sausage...needed a soup...I made a few adaptations to the 13 bean soup recipe from the forks over knives cooking "magazine" I bought last year...celery, onions, carrots, garlic,  bag o soaked beans (15 bean)..used 1/2 vegetable broth and 1/2 chicken broth..thyme, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper..oh and a bay leaf. I added the sausage 1.5 hours in and a can of tomatoes and kale at the end.  Hope it is good...

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

It is a tad on the hot side...not as bad as the Italian sausage I had a couple weeks ago..but definitely has some heat to it...probably should have added the sausage at the end..it dried out a bit.

It sounds healthy, and that kind of heat is great for cooler weather.  I will try a similar soup now that you have inspired me!

6 hours ago, petitepedal said:

So...my chicken Andoulie sausage...needed a soup...I made a few adaptations to the 13 bean soup recipe from the forks over knives cooking "magazine" I bought last year...celery, onions, carrots, garlic,  bag o soaked beans (15 bean)..used 1/2 vegetable broth and 1/2 chicken broth..thyme, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper..oh and a bay leaf. I added the sausage 1.5 hours in and a can of tomatoes and kale at the end.  Hope it is good...

Sounds great.  I've made a similar recipe with ham instead of sausage and have varied the beans, doing the 15 beans or Great Northern or Cannellini beans or Red Kidney Beans. The bigger beans make the soup a little more starchy.

I have a pound of boneless ham in the freezer and will probably use it for this recipe - which would also work great with Italian sausage and summer squash or zucchini can be subbed for the potatoes. I cut and pasted it from the link below and modified it a little.

Original version of recipe: https://www.recipetips.com/recipe.asp?content=t--3032/white-bean-and-ham-soup.asp

White Bean, Potato and Ham Soup Recipe

image.png.79c04a67ce86cfa74d3eb27a9390f464.png

This is a really good soup similar to some Italian soups.  I’ve made it with “Shady Brook Farms Hickory Smoked Boneless Turkey Ham” and also the traditional way with leftover ham on a ham shank.  It’s fine either way.

It’s about 175 cal. per cup and makes about 5 qts.

For more information, see “Recipe Information” at the end of this recipe.

Ingredients

16 oz dried Great Northern Beans (or Navy or any similar white bean)

1 medium large sweet onion (about 1 to 2 cups diced)

3 cloves garlic, diced (minced)

1 tablespoon cooking oil

1 1/2 qts. chicken broth (or water with 2 tbsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base or 4 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved)

3 bay leaves

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 1/2 to 2 lbs (around 4-6 cups) of diced potatoes (I don’t peel them)

2 stalks celery, diced

3 carrots, peeled and diced (or 20-30 baby-cut carrots, cut in halves or thirds)

1 to 2 lb of ham (meat, not including bone)

TRY: Add a drained can of diced tomatoes last 10 min. of cooking

Directions:

1. Soak the beans overnight at room temperature in about 8 cups of cold water (preferred method). Alternatively do a quick soak: place the beans in a pot with 8 cups of hot water and bring it to a rapid boil for two minutes.  Remove from heat, cover, and let it stand for 1 hour.  If your bean package lists different soaking instructions, follow them.  Note that you will drain the soak-water from the beans before added them to the soup.

2. In a sauté pan or a pot that holds at least 5 qts, add the oil and sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat until they are softened and the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).

3. Add the chicken stock (or bouillon water), the drained beans, the cubed ham (or ham shank), the bay leaves, and cumin to the onions.  Bring it to a boil and then cover and simmer for 90 minutes.

4. If using a ham shank, remove it from the soup, place it on a plate and allow it to cool slightly while doing step 6.

5. Add the cut potatoes, carrots and celery to the soup, bring it back to a boil, cover and simmer.

6. If using a ham shank, remove the meat from the slightly cooled bone and cut the removed meat into bite-sized pieces and add back to the soup.  Discard the bone, fat, and any skin.

7. The soup is ready when the beans, potatoes, and carrots, are soft, about 30-45 minutes after the potatoes and carrots are put in the soup.

8. Season with salt, pepper and optionally a tbsp or so of vinegar drizzled on top of a bowl of soup gives it a nice kick.

• Heart 3

Senate bean soup is the staple here although I alter it to suit the ingredients I have on hand. I make the original version with the mashed potatoes. The re pie serves as a guide. 

Bean Soup Recipe (for 5 gallons)

3 pounds dried navy beans

2 pounds of ham and a ham bone

1 quart mashed potatoes

5 onions, chopped

2 stalks of celery, chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

half a bunch of parsley, chopped

Clean the beans, then cook them dry. Add ham, bone, and water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour before serving.

• Heart 2

58 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Senate bean soup is the staple here although I alter it to suit the ingredients I have on hand. I make the original version with the mashed potatoes. The re pie serves as a guide. 

Bean Soup Recipe (for 5 gallons)

3 pounds dried navy beans

2 pounds of ham and a ham bone

1 quart mashed potatoes

5 onions, choppe2 stalks of celery, chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

half a bunch of parsley, chopped

Clean the beans, then cook them dry. Add ham, bone, and water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour before serving.

Mashed taters IN the soup?  Mmmm., that sounds good.  I swear if I opened a restaurant it would be a mashed potato restaurant.  Hmm. lmgtfm!  brb!

:( Closed in 2002. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I was inspired by all this to make split pea soup. Split peas, ham, an onion and chicken stock/bullion. And some water. Cooking hard for about 40 minutes, then about an hour of simmering. Served with a fresh roll and butter. 

Will let you know. 

Split pea soup is good.  You need nice buttered slices of Italian bread to go with it for dipping,

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

54 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I was inspired by all this to make split pea soup. Split peas, ham, an onion and chicken stock/bullion. And some water. Cooking hard for about 40 minutes, then about an hour of simmering. Served with a fresh roll and butter. 

Will let you know. 

If you have any in your cupboard nutmeg is my families “secret” ingredient for pea soup.

• Hugs 1

11 hours ago, BuffJim said:

It was good. Consistency approaching wet cement. 

I reserved about a third of the ham to add tomorrow for the leftover dinner. Ham’s flavor leaches out so in leftover soup it becomes very bland. Adding fresh ham will improve it. Also will add quite a bit of water to soften it up. 

• Heart 1