What was your favourite place to vacation?

Ralphie

Probably Hawaii for me, which is hard to beat! Followed closely by Aruba ages ago and Colorado, also ages ago. 
The top one I want to see is the California coast with the redwoods and Monterey and such. Oh yeah, can’t forget how much I loved Mt Baker in WA, but that was just a quick side trip on a busyness trip. Those northwest woods and mountains are spectacular. 
As far as closer places, the Blue Ridge is otherworldly. Just so ~<%^¥• nice. I am very jealous of Old #7 eventually retaaring there and my niece going to UVA in Charlottesville. 
I am sure there are similar threads in the depths of the forum. Should I?  :D

• Haha 1

Same answer as the post you just dredged, not much of a fan of travelling.  I hate the airline industry.  They make me feel like a criminal, the planes could not be more uncomfortable, not a fan of rental cars and the scare tactics they use to make you buy insurance.  Then I always forget something I wished I had brought and overpack at the same time.

I did enjoy the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Maui, San Francisco.  Alaska was amazing.

Also, I don't do favorites, I don't want to hurt the feelings of the other choices.

• Heart 1

Should I list new favorite places or dredge up the same old?

i liked the outer banks. I had my bicycle and miles of beach. I didn’t want to leave.

I have great memories from the cabins at Pyamatuning. First with my kids as they were growing up and with my dad when he was 80 and mom had passed away. We invited him to spend the week with us at the cabin. He took over my wife’s bike for the week and my dad, my three sons, and I rode bikes everywhere. 
Then my kids grew up and had families of their own. We rented three cabins in 2018 just before my wife got sick and we had two of our three sons up there along with 11 grandkids. So many memories were made that week.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Unlike the guy with the square wheels I enjoy travel.... I love to fly.... but like him I do hate the airlines. They have managed to take all the fun out of flying. The only 2 good seats in their planes are occupied by people in fancy uniforms.

There is one area that stands out for me.  The northern part of the UP.  Not real hard to get to,  Beautiful weather, (other than seasonal black flies) Beautiful scenery, Sailing, kayaking, canoeing, rock and ice climbing, lots of back roads to bike, hiking, dog sledding,  So much to do without the expense of traveling to Alaska or other places further away, which pushes the cost much higher. Crossing the small bridge to get there is great too as long as you don't try to do it when there is a big vacation traffic jam.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Same answer as the post you just dredged, not much of a fan of travelling.  I hate the airline industry.  They make me feel like a criminal, the planes could not be more uncomfortable, not a fan of rental cars and the scare tactics they use to make you buy insurance.  Then I always forget something I wished I had brought and overpack at the same time.

I did enjoy the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Maui, San Francisco.  Alaska was amazing.

Also, I don't do favorites, I don't want to hurt the feelings of the other choices.

Maybe if you got some round wheels travel would be more enjoyable.  ;)

• Haha 1

I just checked the other thread to see if my answers are still the same, and they are.  My true favorite places are mainly because of the people and memories associated with trips more than the actual location, even though the locations are nice too.  I'd say Lake Placid because I took some nice trips with my parents there in the last part of the years they could still travel.  They liked it so much and we had such a nice time, that the location will always be special to me.   Of course the Catskills because of all our summers as a kid.

My "to do" destinations remain the same - the Nordic countries and the national parks in Washington.

As someone who loves ancient history, the Aegean Odyssey I took in 1996 with a woman named Phyllis who graduated with a major in History from Rutgers U, was the most fun of any vacation I've had: 3 days in Athens/Southern Greece, 6 days on a Cruise with stops at Mikonos/Delos, Crete, Santorini, Rhodes, and the Turkish coast (including ruins of Ephesus and Troy) then 3 days in Istanbul.

The cost for the cruise part of the trip, including air and meals, is comparable to that of a 1 week Inside Passage Alaska Cruise from the East Coast.

I would love to do it again, though I'd probably want a different part of the Mediterranean Sea, maybe something like Spain, Morocco, Sicily, Naples, Rome, Florence.  I'd also want to have a day to rent a car in Rome, drive to Anzio, and explore the areas where my father fought as a member of Darby's Rangers in January, 1944.  A cousin of mine and her husband visited Anzio and a museum there and were impressed with the Ranger stuff there.

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Probably Hawaii for me, which is hard to beat! Followed closely by Aruba ages ago and Colorado, also ages ago. 
The top one I want to see is the California coast with the redwoods and Monterey and such. Oh yeah, can’t forget how much I loved Mt Baker in WA, but that was just a quick side trip on a busyness trip. Those northwest woods and mountains are spectacular. 
As far as closer places, the Blue Ridge is otherworldly. Just so ~<%^¥• nice. I am very jealous of Old #7 eventually retaaring there and my niece going to UVA in Charlottesville. 
I am sure there are similar threads in the depths of the forum. Should I?  :D

I haven't spent time dredging up old threads to compare if I was the same before as I am now in memory choices. 

I loved Hawai'i. We've been there twice. lst time was for 4 wks.- 2 islands. We had our bikes and biked some short distances with our clothing. Yea, those islands can be windy.

Pacific west coast is always a fave...I like it better than California because the temperate rainforests are more lush, flowers/plants are bigger because of more rain, terrific wild/more remote coast line against the Pacific ocean. There's more wildlife...because there's just less people and development.  Living in Vancovuer area is like sorta living in vacation land because the mountains rise immediately against the city and even if you are in the suburbs, you will see mountains close by.

Closer to home I always enjoy Rocky Mountains,....there is always so much to see wilderness areas, and even the same area looks different and lovely in each of the 4 seasons, different experience each season.

Places I loved to vacation for extended time, but would not want to live:

In Europe, I do love the southern, wine region of Germany where dearie / his family is from.  Not the big cities...smaller places and cute villages. Country's Deustch Bahn train is incredibly efficient.

Japan in certain cities. However the society feels like a straightjacket to me, as someone of another Asian descent.

I am still in love with Iceland.  Would love to go back and spend months in the backcountry.

Now that I live on the west coast, my favorite is a place simply known in my family as "The Lake".  Our cottage surrounded by other cottages filled with aunts, uncles and cousins.  Still smile every summer we go back just from arriving there again.

20190820_122109.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1