What's next for us?

Square Wheels

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...am I wrong in surmising that's why there was a separate forum for political and religious discussion ?  Anyway, I put it to you as well: have you ever eaten breakfast or lunch with a group of people on a semi regular basis at some cafe or restaurant ?  Was there some treaty arrangement where politics and the news were off the table for discussion ? I mean, I've done that with some genuinely egregious assholes in the fire department.  We all knew where everyone stood on that stuff.  We all continued to order the same stuff for breakfast.  We all went home afterwards, and we all took naps.  Not a big deal.

I have been on a team with the same 6 people for anywhere from 6 to 12 years depending on the person.  Some of them I have spent more time and meals with than my own children.  And  not all at work, as we have traveled, spent weeks in the same cabin and cannot count the meals we have eaten together.  I can tell you that of the 6, I have no idea of the political or religious stance of 5 of them.  It is just not something ever discussed or brought up.  

I can say though, that comparing this to your breakfast you brought up is a little comparing apples to oranges.  We are all Canadians, and our politics are not nearly as heated or divisive as US politics.

17 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I can say though, that comparing this to your breakfast you brought up is a little comparing apples to oranges.  We are all Canadians, and our politics are not nearly as heated or divisive as US politics.

I would agree. The most divisive I've experienced directly...is here in Calgary. There were some great work colleagues vehemently wanting UCP in power.  I hope they are regretting their vote..

In working for a municipality, it's impossible not to at least become aware of some political lines and how old school thinking affects some city council decisions. 

Yes, I am very glad, Calgary in their plebiscite...voted a big no to 2026 Winter Olympics. A complete disaster for us fiscally when already it's pretty bad and has been since 2016.   I feel sorry for Tokyo..it's a terrible fiscal situation they are in ..

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't be a dick.  Ive been fair to all, and tolerant of most.  I'm not heavy handed or a bully.  I want people to post here because they enjoy the online community. 

.. this is where it always goes here.  I express my genuine opinion in a serious answer, and someone says, "Don't be a dick."

Maybe you have managed to convince yourself that everyone in the world who experiences it differently than you is a dick.  I have not (yet).

To say this is disappointing understates the case.  What is "fair to all" exactly ? What does it even mean in the context of your forum ?  Nobody called you a bully, yet that's exactly how you choose to hear me. How the fuck is anything I've said in this thread expressive of a desire for people to less enjoy the online community ?  You're able to so compartmentalize your life that you have somehow convinced yourself that the political is not a part of it. Or at least that sharing differing takes and opinions on it is of no benefit to anyone involved, because everyone has already made up his or her mind on such things.  I just find that incomprehensible.  

Go ahead, call me a dick again.  It doesn't make me feel badly/hate you/ want you to "lose" the internet/ fill in the blank here.  I just think you're wrong on this.  Let me rephrase it, from the point of view of someone who does read the NYT, and finds it of  great interest and value at times.  

Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practised in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

–Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents 82-83 (1770) in: Select Works of Edmund Burke, vol. 1, p. 146

Sometimes this is condensed as:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

If you are genuinely convinced that the current situation you face at work as a high level manager in one of your city's largest blood facilities has nothing to do with politics, you've managed to convince yourself of the impossible.  If anything, you are one of the people in a position to speak out on things like testing, the fragmented effort we have thus far mounted in the United States, and how that has affected your ability to help the people in your hospital and your community.

In the case of your forum, we are "here, linked together".  We can certainly  share omelette recipes without much controversy.  It will be harder once a few people can't get eggs any more.

If telling you that makes me a dick, you're not the first person to call me that. I doubt you'll be the last.:flirtyeyess:

58 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have been on a team with the same 6 people for anywhere from 6 to 12 years depending on the person.  Some of them I have spent more time and meals with than my own children.  And  not all at work, as we have traveled, spent weeks in the same cabin and cannot count the meals we have eaten together.  I can tell you that of the 6, I have no idea of the political or religious stance of 5 of them.  It is just not something ever discussed or brought up.  

...color me astonished. You must consider yourself to be close to those other 5 people.  I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about stuff like, "Well, how about that Doug Ford then, eh ? That boy has got some tics and twitches, don't he ?  I wonder if he'll be near as much fun when he dries out ? "

What the hell do they cover in the newspapers up there ? (*insert professional hockey joke here*) :whistle:

50 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...color me astonished. You must consider yourself to be close to those other 5 people.  I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about stuff like, "Well, how about that Doug Ford then, eh ? That boy has got some tics and twitches, don't he ?  I wonder if he'll be near as much fun when he dries out ? "

What the hell do they cover in the newspapers up there ? (*insert professional hockey joke here*) :whistle:

Honestly, over coffee and eggs up here, it is much more fun to talk about the idiocy of the current US political landscape than anything we could drum up locally

14 hours ago, Zephyr said:

For me, personal political or religious beliefs are just that.  Personal.

I really dont give a rats ass what someone else believes or why they believe it.  They choose to believe it and the circular conversations that go around around trying to convince each  other that "you and wrong and I am right" is tiresome, and I much prefer a place like this without it.  

I wandered into the P&R section once or twice just out of curiosity  and after reading a couple threads half expected to see a thread where everyone submitted a pic of their dick to see who's was biggest(I would not have won)

This is a place to be happy and carefree, not confrontational and I like it that way

My sentiments in a nut shell. Thank you.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...