A roam with a view

maddmaxx

This is my airline trail in the area around Raymond Brook Marsh.  The photographs on the linked page are the fantastic work of a professional photographer who is out on the marsh almost every day.

https://performance-vision.com/airline2012/airline-summer-12g.htm

These are some of the sights available almost every day on my rides.  Almost all my rides involve travelling across the marsh no matter where else I intend to go as it is only about 4 miles from my house.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Very nice!  Great perk for you to live so close to it.

That's where I was hiking the other day when I hurt my knee.  We were out with cameras.  The trail is a causeway built up through the center of the marsh where the railroad used to rum.  In wet weather the water level is a couple of feet below the trail.  The other day it was difficult to find water and much of the marsh was mud.  We are in the middle of a pretty severe drought.  That part of the trail is about 1/4 mile under trees......1/2 mile across the center of the marsh (not across the widest part) and another 1/2 mile under trees again.  There is a parking lot at the far end of that section that's about 4 miles from my house, using the trail to get there.  I'm actually about a half mile from the trail. The trail basically runs across CT south west to north east and is named the Airline Trail because that was the shortest distance NYC to Boston in an era when trains ran north on the Hudson then east to Boston or east to Providence and north to Boston.  It was a pretty hilly route for trains however and the consists were limited in the number of cars pulled.  (perhaps 3% grade).  It's an interesting tale of a failed railroad.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's where I was hiking the other day when I hurt my knee.  We were out with cameras.  The trail is a causeway built up through the center of the marsh where the railroad used to rum.  In wet weather the water level is a couple of feet below the trail.  The other day it was difficult to find water and much of the marsh was mud.  We are in the middle of a pretty severe drought.  That part of the trail is about 1/4 mile under trees......1/2 mile across the center of the marsh (not across the widest part) and another 1/2 mile under trees again.  There is a parking lot at the far end of that section that's about 4 miles from my house, using the trail to get there.  I'm actually about a half mile from the trail. The trail basically runs across CT south west to north east and is named the Airline Trail because that was the shortest distance NYC to Boston in an era when trains ran north on the Hudson then east to Boston or east to Providence and north to Boston.  It was a pretty hilly route for trains however and the consists were limited in the number of cars pulled.  (perhaps 3% grade).  It's an interesting tale of a failed railroad.

I am curious aboot an old rail bed next to railroad avenue.  It is in the middle of old farm country so maybe it was used to move agricultural products.  Owl have to see what I can dig up.

Well shit, that was fairly easy!  
  http://www.elktownship.com/railroads.html

I use that section of the trail a lot because it gets me to the other side of town without going onto roads.At the 4 mile mark just after crossing the marsh I have several choices of where to go with the bike.  I can keep going on the trail or turn and go up to Amston lake or turn the other way and go to Hebron CT.  There is a nice after work loop I used to ride up around the lake, back down to the other side of town and then home on the roads.  15 miles 1500 net feet of climbing and almost all of that altitude converted back down in a half mile of twisty section at 45 mph trying to spy out the gas main ports in the pavement before I hit one.  That was my favorite ride when I was younger.  Now I tend to stick more to the trail and the 3% or lower grades.

The trail runs the other way from my home back toward the CT river.  That section has a spectacular causeway more than 130 feet above the vally floor that replaced the old wooden trestle that was knocked down in the hurricane of 38.

• Awesome 1