I need a vacation

Square Wheels

Not one where I pretend I'm on vacation, go nowhere and work every day.

A real one, where I can feel safe going away.

I listened to a talk at work yesterday.  Being affiliated with Harvard, we usually fly people in from around the country to give weekly talks, clearly that ended.  Zoom to the rescue.  He was a researcher doing studies on Covid in the blood supply.  He said something that broke my heart.  He said he didn't think it would be a year or two before we got this under control, but based on what he has evidence of for this virus, more like a decade or two.

• Sad 5

32 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I listened to a talk at work yesterday.  Being affiliated with Harvard, we usually fly people in from around the country to give weekly talks, clearly that ended.  Zoom to the rescue.  He was a researcher doing studies on Covid in the blood supply.  He said something that broke my heart.  He said he didn't think it would be a year or two before we got this under control, but based on what he has evidence of for this virus, more like a decade or two.

My brother who’s a doctor in Western Wisconsin reports that his region is getting hit very hard, and two top staff at his hospital have severe cases. I think it will take two years. 

1 minute ago, Further said:

Talking about good seafood the other day I realized how much I miss my trip to the beach this year 

Fresh off the boat shrimp is so much better than frozen 

Living near the coast we have noticed reduced crowds.  It was actually a good summer for us to go to the beach as most stayed away.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

A decade.. :o:blink: Well, that means for some of us, a duller retirement ahead...for a long time. Even travelling in one's own country...is still quite limited. 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Listen, stop getting your info from qualified sources when you could be getting it from your politicians. Head up.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Zackny said:

You could go climb Mt. Washington. I’m told it’s very nice.😁

I realize near staycations are great too. But even for me to fly to Toronto to see my family and aging mother @86 yrs. is quite a risk.  And I like Toronto alot (biased since I lived there for quite awhile).  

2 hours ago, Further said:

Talking about good seafood the other day I realized how much I miss my trip to the beach this year 

Fresh off the boat shrimp is so much better than frozen 

No trips down to the shore for any number of great small restaurants.  One trip to the Niantic Fish Market where we ate outside in the rain as the only people on the porch.  They had some great huge umbrellas that completely covered the table and chairs.  I haven't eaten inside a restaurant since last winter.  I ate breakfast one time on an outdoor porch.....it gets cold too fast and that sucks.  The very last indoor event I went to was the US National Women's basketball team vs UCONN back in January or February.  It's a good think I like being a loner in the secret lab.

• Hugs 1

24 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...how long can you tread water ?

Like you, I believe that after awhile a forum after several years...can't /shouldn't hide some difficult topics. The discussion doesn't have to go on for super long. And I have always felt here...in this forum, the potential for us to learn....gently..and more lightly, but STILL LEARN about how different or similar some of our lives/experiences can be ...even if 1 thing binds us together:  speaking english (this is serious point, it is a power language and this why I myself can even participate here.) and love of cycling/bikes.

I actually get bored if life goes on for days and days talking about safe topics. That's why I didn't join lunchroom table discussions at work every day.  every one was walking around certain sensitive topics and not learning anything different from what they knew or experienced in life.  So I just decided some days to eat alone lunch happily in front of my work computer.

So i will continue to cooperate in this forum..and occasionally post certain topics that might seem completely outside of some people's experiences here in this forum.  I am not ashamed of....my experiences and articulating them.  And I ask that threads about my experiences be not hidden.

I ended up canceling my vacation due to a work conflict, but I had planned a trip to a nice lake area.   I intended to mainly sit on the balcony, enjoy the view and get stock the kitchenette.  I figured the risk wouldn't be any higher than staying in my own area, and a change of location can be good for you.  Even with the pandemic, I think you could find a way to vacation safely, especially if you stick in the region which is still relatively under control.

Another friend rented a house for a month in an off season vacation area.  They've spent a lot of time outside and walking and just having a change of pace.  Even if you only got away for a week or long weekend, it would be good.

• Heart 1