I thought the Browns

Prophet Zacharia

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t seen Pittsburgh play yet this year but I have read they are a good team.  Was it just the Steelers taking down a team they should have beat anyway?

It’s hard to know, as I think all of their games thus far have games they should have won. I don’t know that I believe Romo’s prediction that the Steelers will be 8-0 after facing Tennessee, Baltimore and Cowboys, but 7-1 would be respectable.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

It's a blowout. @Randomguy has some explaining to do.

I didn't watch the game because it wasn't on here, but....

Yes, Mayfield has an owie, the Browns do have an awesome run game.  Take away the pass game and you can stack the box.  If Chubb is there, you can rotate to the hot hand if one is there, but apparently the line didn't perform anyway.

You have to remember that the Browns got here by beating teams that they were supposed to beat (lousy teams) or were compromised in some way - they haven't beat a consistent team or a top-tier team just yet.  Plus, first year with new coach, new offensive system, abbreviated camp and no preseason games means they still don't know what they have.  They have potential, so we will see if they can get more consistent as the season goes on.

In conclusion, you can't beat on the Browns for your or the media's overblown expectations.  In a league tuned to parity except for a few teams, there is little to separate the 8-8 teams from the 10-6 teams except lack of injuries, timely scheduling of weak opponents, and dumb luck.  I predict they will be streaky as hell and limp into the playoffs where they hope to catch a hot run.

• Heart 1

Any given Sunday.  There is a lot of bad football being played this year by teams that are supposed to be good.  There are 2 teams undefeated - our Steelers and the Titans.  The clash is next week.  I don't think either team is as good as their records but we will see.  I still expect the Baltimore to come our on top of the division

As a Steelers fan I never trust their record.  They have let me down many times since I started following them in 1969.  We'll see what they make of this crazy season.  Most of all I like competitive football.

Let's see how KC comes out tonight against the Bills and are the Bills for real?  What can Bell do in that offense?

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

For me, it’s the Browns fans calling into our local sport talk shows, and fool fans on Twitter who set expectations high.

Oh, bandwagon fans are the worst for sure.  Irrational exuberance was tried and failed last year, wasn't it?  With the Browns especially, you always have to be cautious when you think they are climbing.   Reality and facts work and always need to be looked at.

After his first year, I thought Mayfield was going to be a top 5 quarterback in a couple of years, for instance.  Last year you could throw some blame at Kitchens for the disarray, but the coach has a QB friendly system and Mayfield is supposed to be running it for him on field.  He still could be very good, but he has to show it. 

Rashard Higgins was his security blanket on the field as a rookie and it was clear that they clicked big time.  I think Njoku dropped way too many balls as a rookie and may not be that football smart (still to be determined).  I don't know what the hell to think of OBJ, but I wish they had saved the picks traded for him instead.  I don't know for sure, but OBJ seems to me to have a bit of an attitude that runs bad if he doesn't get his way, which is hard on a young QB.  Sure is great when he is on, but I would get something for him and move on, personally, as long as it isn't a fire sale.

The Browns need more corners desperately and some safety help, and do they have any linebackers?  The D-line is the strength of the defense, and will keep them in a lot of games that the run game may not, we will see.

I still love the Browns, though, I just choose to be realistic and appreciate them for what they are.  I do think they will start to click when it gets colder and I do hope they get hot at the right time.  They will play the Steelers much tighter next game (hard not to), and I expect more of a slugfest in Cleveland where the Browns get more physical than on the road for some reason.

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

Browns and thinking do not go together. Don’t make that mistake again.

:angry:

Ok, we beat your football team!

I do like the name "Washington Football Team", and really hope they keep it instead of choosing something that is bound to sound silly.  Are they going to jettison Haskins?

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

:angry:

Ok, we beat your football team!

I do like the name "Washington Football Team", and really hope they keep it instead of choosing something that is bound to sound silly.  Are they going to jettison Haskins?

Beating Washington Team Football (WTF)isn’t anything to brag about. Demoting Haskins to 3rd string is the same thing isn’t it?

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

Beating Washington Team Football (WTF)isn’t anything to brag about. Demoting Haskins to 3rd string is the same thing isn’t it?

I think they should have kept Peterson and ran the hell out of him.

Back to the Browns, if anyone said to me before the season that at this point they would be 4-2 with the losses being to Ravens and Steelers, I would have been pretty dang ok with that.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Oh, bandwagon fans are the worst for sure. 

Oh, I’d say these are the die-hard delusional Brownie fans, like those who felt the Browns would be a super bowl contender last year. They aren’t fair-weather, they come out every time the teams play, regardless of the last 50 + years of history.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Oh, I’d say these are the die-hard delusional Brownie fans, like those who felt the Browns would be a super bowl contender last year. They aren’t fair-weather, they come out every time the teams play, regardless of the last 50 + years of history.

So I grew up about 90 miles north of Picksburgh and 90 miles east of the sewer called Cleveland.  I had so called friends and family that were Browns fans (disgusting).  I can tell you from years of experience, Browns fans are all delusional.  

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So I grew up about 90 miles north of Picksburgh and 90 miles east of the sewer called Cleveland.  I had so called friends and family that were Browns fans (disgusting).  I can tell you from years of experience, Browns fans are all delusional.  

You should consider giving a TedX talk on escaping those two hell holes!  Sure, you landed in just about as bad a place, but still...you got out!

7 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Any given Sunday.  There is a lot of bad football being played this year by teams that are supposed to be good.  There are 2 teams undefeated - our Steelers and the Titans.  The clash is next week.  I don't think either team is as good as their records but we will see.  I still expect the Baltimore to come our on top of the division

As a Steelers fan I never trust their record.  They have let me down many times since I started following them in 1969.  We'll see what they make of this crazy season.  Most of all I like competitive football.

Let's see how KC comes out tonight against the Bills and are the Bills for real?  What can Bell do in that offense?

I hope you're talking about the AFC only.

Baker Mayfield was in no shape to play football against the Steelers but I guess the Browns figured he was their only chance.

He injured his ribs against the Colts the week before and you could see him wince after every hit and every throw.

He was benched in the 3rd Qtr not because he was bad but because the Browns didn't want him to absorb any more punishment.

With all the talent the Browns have, if they get it all together, they'll challenge the Steelers and Ravens.

The Ravens have had two awful games out of 6, losing to KC by a wide margin then taking a 17-0 against the Eagles, getting overconfident, and barely winning the game 30-28.  KC had an awful game last week against Las Vegas and lost.

So any team that's 4-2 or better and has played some decent teams - the Browns lost to the Ravens and Steelers, but beat the Colts - has a chance to do something surprising over the next 11 weeks.  The AFC North has had seasons where 3 teams (BAL, PIT, CIN) made the playoffs and there's an extra team in the playoffs this year, so the Browns have a good chance of getting there.