Your Injury, Surgery, Illness, Etc Update?

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Had video appointment with my regular GP doctor for hematomas on left thigh (careful transmitting video from that area). With concerns about potential calcifications complications, ordered PT with first assessment appointment today at 2:00. Arm still in sling and ortho appointment for clavicle is Thursday.

Concerning the thighs, circumference measured from the same place, right side 24" with left side 27" and hard. Over days same bloated difference, but softer as I massage with right hand. No pain anywhere - but that is before PT (physical torture).

So let me get this straight. What you're saying is .... :mellow:

I have no idea what you are saying. :huh:

My stitches ought to be dissolving soon, any day now. I’m still keeping the graft area covered with ointment to prevent scabbing. Slow process. Go back to the dermatologist in November and hopefully won’t need any more work. The beard is now two weeks old and looking better. I will keep it short and neat to stay on the respectable side. 

• Heart 3

35 minutes ago, donkpow said:

So let me get this straight. What you're saying is .... :mellow:

I have no idea what you are saying. :huh:

The fractured clavicle followup is with Ortho on Thursday...still in sling

While the slide was on the left side, during the final 2 miles of the 6 mile bike ride home after the accident with the unknown fractured clavicle, my left thigh ballooned up the size of a grapefruit stretching my bike shorts. While black and blue from ankle to shoulder, the thigh has a massive hematoma. I got concerned when couldn't even feel the icepacks and would even forget that had applied them as they drop to the floor when I stood up. Tried to get an appointment with the GP bot only thing available that day was video conference. Doctor saw on video - hematoma from above hip to mid thigh and stretching from scrotum/pelvic to mid area of rear cheeks. Normally, hematoma will absorb the blood back into the system, but a complication is calcification creating boney like artifacts in the area impacting muscular movement and potentially require surgical removal. I wasn't aware of it until after I googled it. PT appointment today is assessment and PT plan development to reduce that risk.

• Hugs 1

I have been on my current diabetes meds for about 2 years and my A1C has been gradually creeping up the past  6 months.   I’m going to tighten some things up diet wise but I’m really eating pretty well for a diabetic.  We’ll see how it goes but if it continues to go up my Dr’s going to change my meds.

All of my siblings with diabetes were already on insulin by my age so I think I’m doing better than them but I know insulin is in my future.

• Heart 1

my last MOHs surgery went reasonably well.  I was hoping for a quick procedure, but they ended up having to cut twice.  I did tell the doctor I was going to ride bike the next day, I just didnt tell him it was going to be up Mt Lemmon.  it was a small basal cell spot, maybe 1/16 inch, but the incision was like 2-3 inches long.  It was a bit sore the next day, but was ok.

• Heart 4

I reached into my overnight kit to get my razor while glamping this weekend.  The plastic guard had come off and I nicked a fingernail on the exposed blade.  It left a little hook that would snag on stuff every now and again.  I was not prepared and did not have nail clippers or a nail file with me.    I had to wait until I got home to clip my nail.  All good now though.  Thanks for asking.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I reached into my overnight kit to get my razor while glamping this weekend.  The plastic guard had come off and I nicked a fingernail on the exposed blade.  It left a little hook that would snag on stuff every now and again.  I was not prepared and did not have nail clippers or a nail file with me.    I had to wait until I got home to clip my nail.  All good now though.  Thanks for asking.

Did you forget your pocket knife too?  I use it to trim up nails in a pinch

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Scouts motto: be prepared. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

• Heart 3

Had PT. It was OK, working on quads and other exercises. Measured leg strength which was a joke - you obviously cycle a lot! She was an intern new to the area with a mountain biking background from North Carolina. I had to educate her on local courses plus the two mountain biking meccas in the State.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Had PT. It was OK, working on quads and other exercises. Measured leg strength which was a joke - you obviously cycle a lot! She was an intern new to the area with a mountain biking background from North Carolina. I had to educate her on local courses plus the two mountain biking meccas in the State.

I CHALLENGE your use of "mountain" for any path in Florida.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You do realize I was speeding downhill on a Florida mountain (pedestrian overpass) when I crashed. :D

OK, This one was designed around a phosphate pit. https://www.floridastateparks.org/Alafia Anything to not fill in a phosphate mining pit. Suddenly have a bird sanctuary. As a teen, an nearby mine was a favorite place to go plinking with a .22 with the mine pit wall as a backdrop. Some that were filled in and developed, found released nuclear radon gas concentrating in the new homes, so wasn't a great idea.

Unfortunately, few pictures on State Park websites - but a bunch of YouTube videos - Santos one is considered "The Mecca" https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/santos-trailhead-campground  Santos includes 80-plus miles of single-track diverse bike trails for beginners as well as expert-level trails that will challenge even the most elite riders. The Santos area of the Cross Florida Greenway is the epicenter of the extensive and diverse single-track trails that were designated as a Bronze Ride Center by the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) for its trail offerings to riders of all abilities and levels.

trailboss3.jpg

gap-jump.jpg

Santos.jpg

• Heart 3

I've been mostly lucky with health, nothing serious.

I cracked a molar and got a crown (my 4th) in early Sept. and it was initially very sensitive to cold drinks but the dentist did some extra things with it when I had an undersized filling replaced so that strands of food didn't get caught between molars on Oct. 7.  She said it was expected to be sensitive and it would slowly desensitive, giving me some sensitive-teeth toothpastes to use 2x/day for the next month.  It's almost completely desensitized now, 12 days later.

I've had some sinus issues since I got a little smoke inhalation from the house fire in March, but they are virtually all healed.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I know better than to step in that! I worked with a guy who attended FSU. He was a member of the FSU mountain bike team. They competed in the SEC. not as famous as the football program, but he had skills. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I know better than to step in that! I worked with a guy who attended FSU. He was a member of the FSU mountain bike team. They competed in the SEC. not as famous as the football program, but he had skills. 

I also graduated from FSU. While the post above were central Florida (where also have whitewater for kayakers) Tallahassee is totally different. With the mountain laurel and other vegetation unique to the area, it is really the final foothill of the Appalachians. Rolling hills all over on an upper plain with a deep cliff at the Apalachicolachiola River. There was one cut-through road near the mall that was a true test for driving with a standard transmission - stop sign at top and guaranteed to roll back.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I have been on my current diabetes meds for about 2 years and my A1C has been gradually creeping up the past  6 months.   I’m going to tighten some things up diet wise but I’m really eating pretty well for a diabetic.  We’ll see how it goes but if it continues to go up my Dr’s going to change my meds.

All of my siblings with diabetes were already on insulin by my age so I think I’m doing better than them but I know insulin is in my future.

I'm in the same boat. 

I'm not on insulin but my A1c has been slowly creeping up. I have tightened up my diet in hopes that I won't have to increase the diabetic medication 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

OMG... you do realize this thread reads like a 'discussion' a bunch of old people have when they haven't seen each other for a while.  Like after a week...

That said... my gout hadn't had a flare up for a few weeks now.   :hapydance:

Why do you think I wrote "You don't want to know."? I am in the 'old people' category.:rolleyes: Sorry, but telling the forum members is not going to help in my situation. There is one person in control of my aches and pains, ME!

• Heart 3

54 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Why do you think I wrote "You don't want to know."? I am in the 'old people' category.:rolleyes: Sorry, but telling the forum members is not going to help in my situation. There is one person in control of my aches and pains, ME!

RG is the only one that talks about his PRI on here.